Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Internet prices and monthly income down here

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
Internet prices and monthly income down here
ReyBrujo
January 2001

So, just a month or so ago Fibertel, an ISP backed by a cable company, started offering a 10mb/1mb connection for $600 (around USD 190). Today Arnet (another ISP backed by Telecom) started offering a 20mb/512kb for $549 (around USD 174).

I pay $130 (USD 41) for 1mb/128. Those are good offers if we compare with my current line, but dang expensive (either would be like 20% of my monthly income). Next time you think your internet is expensive, remember this post!

And yeah, my income sucks :( but I sent my résumé to 3 companies yesterday at 4am and got one interested in interviewing me at 1pm. I am requesting a minimum of $3800 (USD 1200), better than my current $3000 (USD 1000) contract. I will see if my current boss is willing to raise my numbers to $4500 (USD 1425). In either case, I will be getting a raise. Need the money to begin building my home 8-)

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」
Mitsuko's last words, Battle Royale

le_y_mistar
Member #8,251
January 2007

you should consider moving to canada, the IT/programming field is very much live and kicking and paying really well, i recently got an awesome job myself (not programming of course), started today.

edit: these are programming/software jobs just in Toronto alone: http://jobsearch.monster.ca/jobsearch.asp?q=&fn=6&lid=240&re=&cy=CA

-----------------
I'm hell of an awesome guy :)

Paul whoknows
Member #5,081
September 2004

I am using Speedy256K! I pay USD ~35 IIRC.

Well, $3000 looks good, but when I realize that $3000 == USD 1000 I say to myself WTF! that suck!
BTW how many hours do you work each day? and how many days/week?
Do you have any chances to get a higher/better position in your actual job?
Perhaps I am wrong, but I think the only way to get a good income(here) is going as a freelancer.

____

"The unlimited potential has been replaced by the concrete reality of what I programmed today." - Jordan Mechner.

HoHo
Member #4,534
April 2004

I have 12M/1M with telephone and digital TV for around €32/mo. Dirt cheap compared to your prices. Though my salary is also just around €1000 and it is nearly 50% over national average

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

We pay about 90 USD/month for 15M/1M with digital TV. Add $25 for vonage (but we're going to downgrade or cancel that soon, and use cellphones exclusively, seeing as how our vonage phone will go days without ringing, I've been using my cellphone for everything for a while now, and so has everyone else).

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I pay about $64 CAD/mo for 10/1 (with business plan upgrade, servers allowed).

My current monthly income is $1050 CAD. I'm hoping to get that to about $1450 with some very part time contract work for the next few months, and maybe up to $1750 if the work ends up being busier than I expect. Above that, I probably have to drop the original $1050/mo and have to up my contract rate to cover that.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Uncapped 10/10 Mbit for $28 (185 SEK)/month.
Unfortunately, the IS"P" was just bought up by complete morons, so I'm going to switch to the still-morons-but-at-least-not-WorseThanFailure-worthy $30 (200 SEK) competitor instead. :P

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

HoHo
Member #4,534
April 2004

Forgot to mention that the internet connection is not capped in any way and all the ports are opened. As it is ADSL it doesn't have a fixed IP but dyndns fixes it for me :)

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

Britain is about £20-£25 for 8mb (or $40-$50 for 8mb). The cheaper ones give 2mb for about £17. Wages are not really an indicator, because a) you haven't taken into account the tax levels of different countries, and more importantly, b) the cost of living. When 21CN comes about (fully fibred) it will get much higher. However, the majority of people on 8mb really get about 3.

In Britain it costs far far more to live than in America/Canada for example.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

the majority of people on 8mb really get about 3.

Funny, if that happened here, we'd get refunds for not getting our rated speed (on cable at least). I pay for 10, I get 10.

I also have a 130-160GB/mo (I can't remember) bandwidth usage cap, its a flexible cap, but still a cap. I've actually hit like 250-300 some months, but I'll usually get a call from my ISP if that happens.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

The minimum wage in Israel is 3,585NIS as of 1/6/2006 (this is June, for you backwards daters :P), roughly 19.3 NIS/hour. (source wikipedia) Though a lot of employers are breaking the law. (again according to wikipedia, 40% of them)
Internet can be relatively cheap if you put an effort in it by switching carriers (or threatening to switch) every half year or so, maybe 100NIS/month for a 1.5MB connection. Faster internet connection, without pestering your company can go all the way up to 500NIS/month. The fastest connection available is 5mb though.
And for global reference, currently a NIS is roughly 1/4 of a USD. (about 4.02 NIS/USD last time I checked)

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

10/10mbit for about 200 SEK a month, and an ISP that, unlike gnolam's, is actually fairly competent even though they shaft you on daily bandwidth caps.

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

ReyBrujo
January 2001

All are dynamic ips down here, except cablemodem (which keeps the same ip for a month or so). The company is paying a 3mb/3mb connection with static ip for around $1500 per month (USD 476).

Quote:

BTW how many hours do you work each day? and how many days/week?

That is the thing I like from this job, we don't have fixed schedule (today I am staying at home). I work like 8 hours on Monday, 7 hours on Tuesday, 6 hours on Wednesday, Thursday and 5 hours on Friday (including an extra hour for lunch except on Friday). In average, $23 (around USD 7) per hour, 30 hours per week.

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」

le_y_mistar
Member #8,251
January 2007

Reybrujo, really man, you have talent, why don't you apply for a job in the USA or Canada, you'll get a way better paycheck.

-----------------

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

What makes you think he would want to uproot himself and move to a third-world country like the USA?

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

le_y_mistar
Member #8,251
January 2007

well, there's Canada, I wouldn't move to the USA myself.

-----------------

ReyBrujo
January 2001

The main problem in US is that everything IT-related is being outsourced to China and India. And I don't doubt Europe (at least, the Euro community) may face/is facing something similar as well.

The only way to really improve here is to get a job in one of the big companies (Oracle, IBM, Microsoft) in the Argentine branch. However, they really suck at recruiting (aka, they haven't found me yet!) ;D

Whenever I get some free time I will try a SAP course, apparently that is where the money is for independent people.

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」

le_y_mistar
Member #8,251
January 2007

Apply in Canada, you'd be talking a paycheck of ~3000$ CAD per month and if you're lucky you can get a permanent position with benefits.

Vancouver (a province in canada) is hiring people left and right, vancouver government is trying to get people from toronto to move there and offering people really nice salaries.

-----------------

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

Quote:

Funny, if that happened here, we'd get refunds for not getting our rated speed

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7003113.stm

I average about 4mb on my 8mb line.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

Aren't some countries in Asia going to be the best in the world for broadband speed?

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

Don't know how fast, but I bet it's nippy ;)

Neil.

ixilom
Member #7,167
April 2006

I got 100/10 Mbit connection and recently the fee was baked into my rent.
IIRC it cost me about 340 SEK (about 52 USD).

Yes, its 100 Mbit, not a typo :P

HoHo
Member #4,534
April 2004

How many servers can send you information at that rate? How about P2P? Are there any kind of limitations?

Jonatan Hedborg
Member #4,886
July 2004

I got the same, and there are no monthly caps. From decent (near) servers, i have downloaded at a quite high speed. But it really shines in P2P. I tend to download things at ~5-6mb(yte)/s, and upload at 1mb/s. So it's not actually 100mbit, but i didn't really expect to download at 12mb/s (though i do suspect i would get slightly higher speeds with a better CPU and a SATA drive).

HoHo
Member #4,534
April 2004

Sounds really nice, I wish Estonia would catch up to those speeds, especially the upload speed :)

Quote:

though i do suspect i would get slightly higher speeds with a better CPU and a SATA drive

Are you using it on cellphone? :P
My ancient P1 with its old HDDs could transfer stuff over LAN at near line capacity and CPU was not limiting factor. Any PC produced during last 5 years will be good enough for receiving much more data than 100Mbit/s.

1   2 

Go to: