Allegro.cc Forums » Game Design & Concepts » S/NES style games

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
S/NES style games
Michael Jensen
Member #2,870
October 2002

Quote:

something in your brain starts to change and you want to save/load in real life, too. It's disturbing.

Oh crap, I broke my mom's front-room window!! CTRL+Z! CTRL+Z! FUCK!

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Simon Parzer said:

After a couple of save-load-load-....-load-save-load-load-.....-load orgys something in your brain starts to change and you want to save/load in real life, too. It's disturbing.

;D Yeah. I know what you mean. :)

Ben Delacob
Member #6,141
August 2005

Does anyone else want to always know how long of a cutscene they are watching? I really want to know if it will be a minute or thirty. For those that want to skip the scenes, I think there should be an option to replay them later.

Mark Oates said (where is autoquote? I almost typed Narc Oates):
"I've seen videos of the cut scenes from the new Contra. For some - reason - they talk - with - long - pauses - between - their - words - like - it's - a - language - learning - course."

So they sound as if they have one of those breathing machines like Bush?

Michael Jensen
Member #2,870
October 2002

There isn't an auto-quote, you just type:
[quote name]text[/quote]

weapon_S
Member #7,859
October 2006

Simon said:

...and you want to save/load in real life, too. It's disturbing.

Yep, been there. ;D
I once had something really annoying happen, because I had to run off and had to save... long story. I always fully switch off electronics.
So I like suspending the best. Although only emulators do it properly ;)
And I hate dialogs. Except perhaps maybe for killer 7, which still makes no sense.

But to be on topic: most console games aren't even really 3D IMO.
I think developers switch to 3D too soon. There aren't many games which have a proper 3D game mechanism.
And I like 2D art better than 3D. So for 2D games I prefer 2D graphics.
(Unless you have some super spectacular special shadings to highlight your eppilepsy-inducing exagarative enormous explosions. But I've never seen that.
Why don't you make that? >:(
Augh... I'll have to do it!>:(
It will take centuries to finish :'( for me that is... :'( )
Please forgive the rant.

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

I hate it when I can't save whenever I want to. You might want to set up the save mechanism in a way that makes it hard to branch from a single savegame though; that is, play the game up to point X where you have to make a critical decision, and from then on save the game in a different file so you can come back later and undo your decision. This is often undesirable as it makes the game too easy. Depends on the type of game though. A RPG can definitely benefit from such a limitation (since it makes your decisions more final), but other games might not.

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

Simon Parzer
Member #3,330
March 2003

Quote:

I hate it when I can't save whenever I want to. You might want to set up the save mechanism in a way that makes it hard to branch from a single savegame though; that is, play the game up to point X where you have to make a critical decision, and from then on save the game in a different file so you can come back later and undo your decision. This is often undesirable as it makes the game too easy. Depends on the type of game though. A RPG can definitely benefit from such a limitation (since it makes your decisions more final), but other games might not.

The suitable method would be "Save & Quit" here. You can, at any time in the game, just save and quit the game and you can continue at exactly the same position next time. But if you die you have to restart the level.
As long as the game balance is good enough to allow it, this is IMO the best solution.

arrowhen
Member #8,829
July 2007

Quote:

You might want to set up the save mechanism in a way that makes it hard to branch from a single savegame though; that is, play the game up to point X where you have to make a critical decision, and from then on save the game in a different file so you can come back later and undo your decision. This is often undesirable as it makes the game too easy.

Undesirable for whom? Too easy for whom?

If you want a challenging game, don't save as often. If you want an easy game, save more often. Either way, it should be up to the player.

I do that kind of thing all the time in RPGs for one simple reason -- RPGs are horribly boring to play. I enjoy them a lot if the characters are interesting and there's a good story, but to me, the gameplay itself is just a dull, repetitive chore that I have to get through in order to find out what happens next. The freedom to save whenever I want means I can see what happens if I make this decision rather than that one without the hassle of playing the game all over again -- which I know I probably won't do.

Is this the "right" way to play an RPG? Probably not, but what difference does it make? If I buy a game (or download a free one) it's mine to do whatever I want with, and it's really none of the author's business how I choose to enjoy it. This is true of all creative works.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Quote:

Lets just be really hardcore and force you to play the entire game in one session?

As a hardcore NES fan, I approve of this. SMB3 with no Warp Whistles .... go.

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Quote:

You can, at any time in the game, just save and quit the game and you can continue at exactly the same position next time. But if you die you have to restart the level.

Yes. That's one of my favorite save systems. You don't have to fight you're way back if you save and quit, but there's still a penalty for dying. But what's to stop the player from loading a recently-saved game whenever they die. Unless you auto-save everytime they die.

Michael Jensen
Member #2,870
October 2002

Quote:

As a hardcore NES fan, I approve of this. SMB3 with no Warp Whistles .... go.

PAUSE + TV PWR BTN == SAVE & QUIT (CLASSIC) :o

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

When tasked with an easy path or a difficult path the majority of people would naturally choose the easy path. We're capable of completing the difficult path, but if there's an easier alternative why bother? Having save points forces the player to think more and strategize* a little bit about how and when to do things. It adds to the game in more ways than one. Besides, when I save a game I expect to be right back where I was when I saved it; not at the beginning of the level, etc. (I'm talking about real games).

* Allegro.cc's Spell Check doesn't like it, but dictionary.reference.com does.

imaxcs
Member #4,036
November 2003

Quote:

I'm talking about real games

What do you mean by real? More realistic?

arrowhen
Member #8,829
July 2007

Quote:

When tasked with an easy path or a difficult path the majority of people would naturally choose the easy path. We're capable of completing the difficult path, but if there's an easier alternative why bother?

Then why do so many games have difficulty settings; wouldn't everyone naturally choose "easy"?

Quote:

Having save points forces the player to think more and strategize* a little bit about how and when to do things.

I don't think you should "force" the player to do anything. It's much more satisfying to overcome a challenge you choose than one that's thrust upon you. If you want to reward players for not taking the easy way out (through, say, unlockable bonuses for getting though a level without saving, etc.) that's cool, but you shouldn't punish a player for not being "hardcore" enough. Hardcore-ness should be its own reward.

I know personally there are times when I'm in the mood to play a game for the challenge ("I'm gonna beat this level if it takes me all night!") and other times I want to play more casually ("I've had a long day and I just want to drink a couple beers and kill stuff!"); if one game gives me both options, I'm probably going to play it a lot more often.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

imaxcs said:

What do you mean by real? More realistic?

I mean games whose levels require more than a few minutes to complete.

arrowhen said:

Then why do so many games have difficulty settings; wouldn't everyone naturally choose "easy"?

The first time around I'd be willing to get bet that majority do pick easy. Those that develop into hardcore gamers would probably eventually work their way up to the hardest difficulty setting.

arrowhen said:

I know personally there are times when I'm in the mood to play a game for the challenge ("I'm gonna beat this level if it takes me all night!") and other times I want to play more casually ("I've had a long day and I just want to drink a couple beers and kill stuff!"); if one game gives me both options, I'm probably going to play it a lot more often.

Neither of those really derives from the save technique used. You can play for the challenge (and progress) or casually (and either progress anyway or not save your game).

When I play "casually", as you describe, I don't want to save because it doesn't reflect my usual gameplay; it's to pass the time and not to progress in the game. When I'm too exhausted to continue on with FFXII's story I use that time to level up. Most of the time in both FFVII and FFXII there are save points nearby battle areas so it doesn't take much to save your progress.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Personally I almost always play through a game once on "easy". If I like the game enough I'll play through it again on "medium" or "hard". So far Halo is that only game I've ever played (and done well in) on the hardest difficulty level. I still haven't beaten the entire thing, there were a couple of levels with trouble spots that I couldn't get past, and I just gave up.

Simon Parzer
Member #3,330
March 2003

Quote:

I don't think you should "force" the player to do anything. It's much more satisfying to overcome a challenge you choose than one that's thrust upon you. If you want to reward players for not taking the easy way out (through, say, unlockable bonuses for getting though a level without saving, etc.) that's cool, but you shouldn't punish a player for not being "hardcore" enough. Hardcore-ness should be its own reward.

Like in Call of Cthulhu: DCotE, there are savepoints literally everywhere, but at the end of the game you get a ranking based on how often you saved.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Simon Parzer said:

Like in Call of Cthulhu: DCotE, there are savepoints literally everywhere, but at the end of the game you get a ranking based on how often you saved.

Barely related, but I thought it clever in Metal Gear Solid how they used data on the memory card to make assumptions about what kind of player you are and added that to the story (Psycho Mantis has psychic abilities and 'reads your mind' to find out).

Metal Gear Solid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia said:

In the pre-battle cut-scene, he activates the controller's rumble feature, then reads the player's memory card and comments on how often you saved the game and your preference on certain other games.

Again though, I have to disagree with every game allowing you to save anywhere. Part of what makes Final Fantasy 'an adventure' is the unknown as you explore the world not really sure of what's to come (and unable to save compulsively). Instead, the player learns to save often (at every given opportunity, or at least before venturing into the unknown). I think if that changed I would be disappointed.

1   2   3 

Go to: