Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Bandwidth Theft Questions

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Bandwidth Theft Questions
ReyBrujo
January 2001

Quote:

Dude if you're putting something on the internet, especially in HTML form, the ideas of creator and owner get extremely blurred.

Not really. If you write a poem in a handkerchief and give it to your girlfriend, the copyright of the text still belongs to you (of course, as long as it is original). Even if years later she publishes a book with it, the text itself is copyrighted to you, and is only freed when you explicitly break the copyright bound (by releasing it under the public domain), if it was written before 1923/25 (can't remember right now the exact date, but I think it was January 1, 1925) or 70 years after the author's death.

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」
Mitsuko's last words, Battle Royale

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Okay, I'll try to stop using personal attacks. It's just that people who misuse laws for there own, often criminal, purposes, it gets me really mad. There's so much crap and red tape in the legal system nowadays, because people like that have tried to beat the system and forced it to adapt. I'm sorry for being insulting.

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

I can't tell you how many times I've seen the same story or picture on different websites.

sissorelle
Member #8,613
May 2007

Just clarify I did not steal anything....see the time difference in the image and link to my forum I gave you? I posted that back in 2005! They copied it in 2007!

Also here's when they decided to email me about it....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v674/GodOfRage/Other/stolen1.jpg

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

And somehow having a date by the post means something?

sissorelle
Member #8,613
May 2007

Yes it does mean something...that means that I posted mine first...and that I'm the creator.

Andrei Ellman
Member #3,434
April 2003

HardTranceFan said:

Quote:

<math>\lceil e^{n \ln(1.6180339897) - \ln(2.2360679775)} - .5 \rceil</math>

You forgot to include <math>pi</math>, to account for the diameter of the wires - the fatter the wire, the more bandwidth one can shovel through.

And of course, you need to add <math>42</math>. This should give you the address of P3W-451 which should be more than enough to suck up all available bandwidth. May the force be with you.

AE.

--
Don't let the illegitimates turn you into carbon.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Quote:

Yes it does mean something...that means that I posted mine first...and that I'm the creator.

What Dustin means is that having a date next to somethig doesn't actually mean it was created on that date.

eg:

24/03/1962 - Yes it does mean something...that means that I posted mine first...and that I'm the creator.

See, you now copied me. ;)

sissorelle
Member #8,613
May 2007

I didn't post the date, it automatically shows up when posted, similar to this forum.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

If you add 42 it would give you the address ZZ9, Plural Z Alpha...

Andrei Ellman
Member #3,434
April 2003

LennyLen said:

She even stole Gull's sig and attributed it to herself. ;D

But what she doesn't realise is that Gull has sabotaged it with his bad English, causing anyone who reads it to explode.

AE.

--
Don't let the illegitimates turn you into carbon.

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

Quote:

I didn't post the date, it automatically shows up when posted, similar to this forum.

Oh right, my bad. Since God put the date there it must be 100% accurate.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

The date next to the post could probably be changed, it is, after all, just some data on the internet, which can be changed at will by someone with the right skills. On a brighter note, I'm inclined to believe you in this particular case.

EDIT:
Beat me to it. And your response was much more witty.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Quote:

On a brighter note, I'm inclined to believe you in this particular case.

Ditto. We were just being pedantic.

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

Whenever I see pedantic I'm reminded of that family guy episode where Peter gets thinking hes smarter then everybody and calls Louise's food (and a few other random things) 'pedantic'.

sissorelle
Member #8,613
May 2007

Can the staff of this forum take any action against this person? They obviously are a threat to this forum and myself.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

What action? He's just some random poster. Is his stuff even being hosted here?

I guess we could ban him, but that wouldn't accomplish anything (and this stuff is funny) ...

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

sissorelle
Member #8,613
May 2007

What action? He's just some random poster. Is his stuff even being hosted here?

I guess we could ban him, but that wouldn't accomplish anything (and this stuff is funny) ...

---------------------------

It's not funny for me when he's stealing my stuff. And definitely hope you wouldn't find it funny if he stole from you. Banning him would give him one less place to get ideas or other ways to steal my stuff. They are a thief and should be punished like one.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Quote:

It's not funny for me when he's stealing my stuff. And definitely hope you wouldn't find it funny if he stole from you.

I don't find what he's doing funny. I find him funny. He's an idiot.

Quote:

Banning him would give him one less place to get ideas or other ways to steal my stuff.

How? The only thing you can do as a member here is post messages and projects. Banning him doesn't stop him from stealing anything. Best way to punish him is do what you did; follow him around and make sure people know what he's up to. I doubt he'll last long.

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

sissorelle
Member #8,613
May 2007

Banning him here can at least stop him from stealing the content, if you ban his ip. He won't be able to access the site then. He doesn't look all that intelligent so I doubt he knows how to bypass it.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

That's funny, stealing a sites bandwidth by creating 400 private accounts on a private forum. That sounds like it would work quite well, at least for about 1 nanosecond. ::)

There are much better ways of revenge. The ones I am thinking of usually are against the ToS of most ISPs. Also, I don't need you getting any ideas, which is why I'm not elaborating. Maybe if you paid me $900 I'd tell you how though.

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

So who is this leo_ryl person? Do you or your staff have any more of an idea than we do?

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

No. We just know that she knows bamccaig or smth.

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

I'm fairly certain she doesn't know bamccaig. I think bamccaig was looking to make a quick buck programming something for her but I'm not sure if he was serious or just baiting her. Maybe he will come along and inform us?;D

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

leo_ryl said:

In theory, if i wanted to get revenge on an forum, (not allegro)I could go to their forum and coppy the link to their forum banner and then create an signature of it on say 400 accounts on an private forum.

If I'm not mistaken you can get trouble for linking to another domain without permission. :-/ Especially for an intentional abuse of that magnitude. It's good to have dreams, but don't expect to point-and-click your way to something powerful. If you're serious about creating your forum you should take the time to learn how to do it yourself or research the money it would take to have it done professionally.

Dustin Dettmer said:

Dude if you're putting something on the internet, especially in HTML form, the ideas of creator and owner get extremely blurred.

I think the copyright laws still apply online, however, in many circumstances the author either won't mind or won't find out. It's also somewhat difficult to prove the infringement. Still though, if you know somebody copied your copyrighted material you can at least talk to an attorney about your options. :) At the least you might encourage them to destroy the plagiarized material, in whatever form that may be.

Samuel Henderson said:

I'm fairly certain she doesn't know bamccaig. I think bamccaig was looking to make a quick buck programming something for her but I'm not sure if he was serious or just baiting her. Maybe he will come along and inform us?;D

Don't know him/her. I think the "model" thing caught my attention well enough to probe for more info. ;D Had it been a hot girl 18+ I probably would have hacked something together for free and without liability.

I met a model from California who's one year younger than me on MySpace last year. ;D Sometimes it's worth the reply. 8-) Sometimes it's worth a laugh. ;D

One thing's for sure... My [spam] E-mail account is going to get spammed... ;)

Go to: