Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Bandwidth Theft Questions

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Bandwidth Theft Questions
ralph hulett
Member #4,690
June 2004

Quote:

Okay, I'll try to stop using personal attacks. It's just that people who misuse laws for there own, often criminal, purposes, it gets me really mad. There's so much crap and red tape in the legal system nowadays, because people like that have tried to beat the system and forced it to adapt. I'm sorry for being insulting.

And on the flip side, the same can be said for people taking things
to far. like Sissorelle. people like him are screwing up the
legal system in the U.S. just as much as the criminals.
Maybe even more so.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

ralph hulett said:

And on the flip side, the same can be said for people taking things
to far. like Sissorelle. people like him are screwing up the
legal system in the U.S. just as much as the criminals.
Maybe even more so.

In what way? ???

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Quote:

0s are fatter than 1s and can fill up the diameter of the wires faster. If the data going through a wire contains more zeros than ones, it will take longer to pass.

tsk I'd love to sig that if people wouldn't think he meant it seriously...

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Arthur Kalliokoski said:

tsk I'd love to sig that if people wouldn't think he meant it seriously...

IMO, it's even better if some do. :P

Andrei Ellman
Member #3,434
April 2003

Rampage said:

Bob: you forgot that 0s are fatter than 1s and can fill up the diameter of the wires faster. If the data going through a wire contains more zeros than ones, it will take longer to pass.

Actually, the ones pass through the holes in the zeroes. In fact, the zeroes are charged and act like a mass-driver that accellerates the ones through at breakneck-speed.

Anyway, here's a tip, if you want to increase the number of zeroes in your data, WRITE IN ALL-CAPS!

Quote:

Heh, must admit that I feel better after reading this one ;-p

Hey, it's what I do :)

AE.

--
Don't let the illegitimates turn you into carbon.

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

But the thing is, you don't want the 1s and 0s getting out of order, because that just ruins the data.
So although zeros may be used like a mass-driver, you don't want the 1s overtaking the 0s anyway. The means that the 0s really are nothing more than an awkward shape that clogs up the wires.
However, this problem can be avoided by using a compression algorithm like Lzip uses. (Unfortunately, the lzip.sourceforge site has disappeared, so you'll have to refer to your memories on this one.)
Lzip compression starts by removing all zero from the data, since they have no value, and then proceeds to look for patterns in the remaining data. It's very efficient, and since the zeros are no longer part of the data, they can now be used safely to speed up the passage of the 1s.
I think these little known optimisations are examples of what the next version of TCP/IP would use to speed up the internet.

-----------

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

I clogged my internet pipe last night with a big data dump. Had to get the plunger out. :(

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

My company will sell you the 1s and the 0s used in the software, and your programmers can simply assemble them.

[/dogbert]

--
Tomasu: Every time you read this: hugging!

Ryan Patterson - <http://cgamesplay.com/>

ralph hulett
Member #4,690
June 2004

bamccaig said:

In what way? ???

Because when people run to Government agencies over issues that they should be handling themselves, freedoms are lost. An example. A few years ago there
was some flu going around carried by mosquito's. I think that two or three cases were reported in Cleveland. And immediately people started reporting there neighbors who had standing water on there property to local government. They wouldn’t even bother to ask the neighbor to dispose of the water themselves. Something as small as a coffee cup left sitting on a picnic table could get you reported. Anyway last summer i changed two tires on my truck, and
i left the old ones leaning against my barn. Two days had passed
when i came home from work to find a city official waiting to
threaten me with fines and penalties for creating a breeding
environment for mosquito's. It hadn't even rained in those two
days and the tires were completely dry. My point is, is that once
you give the government an excuse to put a new law in there
books, they will continue to enforce it even when that no longer
makes any sense. And i don't think that the standing water thing
is even a law. But the neighbors still report it and the city still
makes threats over it, even though i have herd nothing of that
flu for years now. Sissorelle got the forum shut down, so why get the
government involved.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Ralph, why do you keep pressing Enter halfway through your sentences? It's extremely distracting.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

ralph hulett said:

Because when people run to Government agencies over issues that they should be handling themselves, freedoms are lost. An example. A few years ago there
was some flu going around carried by mosquito's. I think that two or three cases were reported in Cleveland. And immediately people started reporting there neighbors who had standing water on there property to local government. They wouldn’t even bother to ask the neighbor to dispose of the water themselves. Something as small as a coffee cup left sitting on a picnic table could get you reported. Anyway last summer i changed two tires on my truck, and
i left the old ones leaning against my barn. Two days had passed
when i came home from work to find a city official waiting to
threaten me with fines and penalties for creating a breeding
environment for mosquito's. It hadn't even rained in those two
days and the tires were completely dry. My point is, is that once
you give the government an excuse to put a new law in there
books, they will continue to enforce it even when that no longer
makes any sense. And i don't think that the standing water thing
is even a law. But the neighbors still report it and the city still
makes threats over it, even though i have herd nothing of that
flu for years now. Sissorelle got the forum shut down, so why get the
government involved.

Why should the neighbors waste their time telling you to dispose of the sitting water when you don't have to listen to them anyway? Besides that, sometimes you don't like your neighbors and some people don't like dealing with people in general. ;) Many people would just ignore a neighbor telling them what to do and days would go by before that neighbor would be satisfied that they didn't listen and justify calling authorities (or you might just give them "a little more time" which is plenty of time for a mosquito population to cause problems).

I don't think it takes long for mosquitoes to breed. That's perfectly justified warning you and it's an honest mistake so nothing to worry about. Sounds like you didn't get fined so it was really just nice that they would send people to inform you rather then let it go until somebody gets infected in your neighborhood (or until they do slap you with a big fine). The fact is that you were careless leaving the tires there (or didn't know there was a mosquito problem) and they came by to warn you.

I really don't see what your problem is with the government... They investigate suspicious activity. They threaten fines or prison when you break the law. Why are people bitching that they're overreacting!? ::) If you wanna see overreacting try disobeying the law in certain Asian countries... ;D

LennyLen said:

Ralph, why do you keep pressing Enter halfway through your sentences? It's extremely distracting.

Agreed.

James Stanley
Member #7,275
May 2006

I'm on Ralph's side (apart from the Line feed thing, that's annoying...). He has every right to leave old tyres leaning against his barn (in fact, I wish I had a barn to lean old tyres against). It's stupid that people are bothering him about having a possible place that water could possibly gather in and end up standing, and then a Mosquito might possibly find it, might live long enough to lay eggs in it, then the new ones might possibly get flu in them, and might possible bite people, and the people might possibly catch flu. It's stupid. The law goes too far.

Ron Ofir
Member #2,357
May 2002

You shouldn't help the mosquitoes recreate, they're doing just fine on their own. You can be sure that if you leave standing water somewhere, a mosquito will come along a lay eggs in it, and since there was an epidemic spreaded by mosquitos the new ones are likely to spread it as well. That said, there's no reason you should go straight to the govt and not talk to the neighbour about it. If he is reluctant to do anything about, then it's time for the govt to make a move.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

James Stanley said:

I'm on Ralph's side (apart from the Line feed thing, that's annoying...). He has every right to leave old tyres leaning against his barn (in fact, I wish I had a barn to lean old tyres against). It's stupid that people are bothering him about having a possible place that water could possibly gather in and end up standing, and then a Mosquito might possibly find it, might live long enough to lay eggs in it, then the new ones might possibly get flu in them, and might possible bite people, and the people might possibly catch flu. It's stupid. The law goes too far.

Mosquitoes have the potential to be very dangerous and it's perfectly understandable that there would be fines for providing breeding grounds, especially when the mosquito population is infected with a fatal virus or disease. The law is justified in fining people for it. If a fatal virus or disease was actually spreading rapidly to humans I would justify jail time for it.

Albin Engström
Member #8,110
December 2006

#define offtopic
"Bandwidth Theft Questions" thread.
#endif

leo_ryl
Member #8,450
March 2007

Am i allowed back or shall I be hounded out by sissorely again? Am I wellcome bak? Yes or no?

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

If you stop being a n00b. sure.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

Welcome back! We missed u. :D

[FMC Studios] - [Caries Field] - [Ctris] - [Pman] - [Chess for allegroites]
Written laws are like spiders' webs, and will, like them, only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful will easily break through them. -Anacharsis
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

No. You've never contributed anything useful and never asked anything meaningful. You've got some work ahead of you if you want any respect from this community.

--
Tomasu: Every time you read this: hugging!

Ryan Patterson - <http://cgamesplay.com/>

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

You've never contributed anything useful and never asked anything meaningful.

I thought I said that 8-)

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Kibiz0r
Member #6,203
September 2005

Why did I think this thread was dead? (wishful thinking?)

leo_ryl
Member #8,450
March 2007

I was missed? Ok, cool. What should I do to easrn your respect back? ANyone seen Sissorell?

HardTranceFan
Member #7,317
June 2006

You were gone? Oh yeah, I forgot about this comment. ::)

Diana, you are incredible.:o How did you know this was another Death Guage?

--
"Shame your mind don't shine like your possessions do" - Faithless (I want more part 1)

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Quote:

What should I do to easrn your respect back?

Well, easrning is difficult. If I WEre you, I'd start with sexy. For that, YOu'll have to talk to Justin, because if you can bring sexy back, surely you can easrn some respect.

8-)

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Kibiz0r
Member #6,203
September 2005

Quote:

What should I do to easrn your respect back?

Get a sweet avatar, use the spell checker, help people out with what you know and ask questions about what you don't (just be polite about it when you get good answers... some people seem to be incapable of that, for some reason)...

In general, just be humble.

Oh, and a little humor doesn't hurt.

Go to: