This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Bandwidth Theft Questions
clovekx
Member #3,479
April 2003

Quote:

if you ban his ip

You cannot ban an IPv4 address, because of NAT and dynamic allocation:

• You could ban more than one user, because of ISPs NAT (possibly hundreds of people use the same WAN IPv4 address)

• If it is a dynamically allocated address like ADSL addresses here, you allways get different address when you connect to the internet.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Heh , He could always ban his dns .

But that will never forbid him to go on another one's computer, a school computer, a cyber, ... there are many way to 'stay alive' ;-p

EDIT: edited while you posted your answer

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

clovekx
Member #3,479
April 2003

If there is any. Some ISP's doesnt have DNS set for their users, which also brings problems to that users.

EDIT: And still you cannot ban anybody who is behind NAT.

James Stanley
Member #7,275
May 2006

Quote:

because of ISPs NAT

ISP's do not NAT...
If they did, severs would not work.
AFAIK.

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

ISPs typically do not, but nothing prevents them from doing so. And ISPs may block servers regardless (stupid ISPs). In any case, if Allegro.cc were to block one of the IPs I connect from, it would disable access not only from my school, but from the county-wide public school system!

And then on the other side of the coin, some ISPs with dynamic addresses rarely change it. One of the larger ones here, in fact, won't ever give you a new one until your MAC Address changes.

--
Tomasu: Every time you read this: hugging!

Ryan Patterson - <http://cgamesplay.com/>

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

There are many ISPs outside of North America that DO NAT their users. Hundreds of users on a single NATed IP. Scares me to think about it.

My ISP does have dynamic IPs, but its Dynamic IPs are as static as their Static IPs. Generally the only times an IP change is ever seen is when a Cable Node is split, or when you change your customer id for some reason (it used to be based on mac addr, but its now based on your customer id, so you always get the same IP/DNS).

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

The question is, how many of those acronyms do the people you're talking to understand? I know I'm glad your not talking to me...

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

ISP : Internet Service Provider
NAT: Network Adress Translation
DNS: Domain Name System
MAC: Medium Access Control address ( unique adresse from your hardware )
IP: Internet Protocol

You could have done some Google research.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I wasn't expecting an actual explaination, and I won't remember any of those anyway, which is why I didn't Google it. ;)

HoHo
Member #4,534
April 2004

Then why did you ask in the first place?

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Possumdude0 said:

[quote Possumdude0]
The question is, how many of those acronyms do the people you're talking to understand? I know I'm glad your not talking to me...

I wasn't expecting an actual explaination, and I won't remember any of those anyway, which is why I didn't Google it. ;)
</quote>

Heeeeh ... So it is the time for that ... bleh, this topic is going to death.

Possumdude0 -> Useless_Post_Count+= 2;

GullRaDriel -> Useless_Post_Count+= 1;

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Quote:

I will also contact the DCMA on this matter if it gets any worse. I'm series about issues like these. Serious enough to go to court over it

If you're serious about it, then you should learn what the DCMA is. You can't contact a piece of legislation.

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

Quote:

Not really, we had the hilarious dude that tried to cybersex0r allegro.cc

I remember that. There wasn't really a whole lot of arguing going on between their members though. They mostly just laughed at us.

Does anyone (from here) who made an account on their forums still visit/post there?

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Quote:

• You could ban more than one user, because of ISPs NAT (possibly hundreds of people use the same WAN IPv4 address)

I would ban an ISP if it took out a lamer. I even have some entire countries (ie: Nigeria) banned. :P

And plus, a.cc has an authentication ban such that even if someone in the same household gets banned, you could still access the site. Furthermore, avoiding bans via proxy doesn't help either because you'll just get them banned too. ::) And if you use a proxy to secretly access the site as a civil user, what's it matter?

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

Once you attain Grandmaster status (like me), you find your tolerances for Leetness go dangerously low.. :-/

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

Quote:

And plus, a.cc has an authentication ban such that even if someone in the same household gets banned, you could still access the site.

So you have an IP ban that prevents the creation of new accounts, and a user-account ban on specific accounts, and when you are banned, you are still given the ability to log into the site?

--
Tomasu: Every time you read this: hugging!

Ryan Patterson - <http://cgamesplay.com/>

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

It requires a valid username and password to access any page.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Quote:

Then why did you ask in the first place?

Because I'm lonely... :'(

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Quote:

It requires a valid username and password to access any page.

Quote:

So you have an IP ban that prevents the creation of new accounts, and a user-account ban on specific accounts, and when you are banned, you are still given the ability to log into the site?

So you can hop on from a proxy or another IP address to create a new account and use it? Again, if it's used civily (is that a word?) then it probably doesn't matter much.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

In the short term, the network is usually blocked at the firewall. So there's that added inconvenience. Most people who are banned are spammers or trolls who have no desire to come back later, so it's as effective as it needs to be.

James Stanley
Member #7,275
May 2006

Quote:

There are many ISPs outside of North America that DO NAT their users

Really?
Care to name one?
No, really. I don't know of any...
I live in England, btw.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I have heard of some in Europe (non UK, since BT seems to have a nice lock in there ;)).

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Myrdos
Member #1,772
December 2001

Quote:

Really?
Care to name one?

There was a guy complaining about his ISP using NAT a while back on this very forum. He couldn't figure out how to host a game.

As I recall, he was in South America.

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

Fastweb in Italy :P

[FMC Studios] - [Caries Field] - [Ctris] - [Pman] - [Chess for allegroites]
Written laws are like spiders' webs, and will, like them, only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful will easily break through them. -Anacharsis
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Marco Radaelli
Member #3,028
December 2002

FMC said:

Fastweb in Italy :P

Yeah :-/

Go to: