Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Average height of allegro members in cm

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Average height of allegro members in cm
LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Canada has the biggest discrepency between measured height and self-reported height... I guess that makes Canadian the biggest (or is that smallest) liars. ;)

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

We like our tales tall.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

SonShadowCat
Member #1,548
September 2001

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

188 +- 1cm

[FMC Studios] - [Caries Field] - [Ctris] - [Pman] - [Chess for allegroites]
Written laws are like spiders' webs, and will, like them, only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful will easily break through them. -Anacharsis
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

HardTranceFan
Member #7,317
June 2006

192cm. I used to be 194, but the weight of the world is on my shoulders.

It seems a large number of allegators are made of reasonably tall timber.

--
"Shame your mind don't shine like your possessions do" - Faithless (I want more part 1)

ReyBrujo
January 2001

185 or 186, haven't measured myself lately.

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」
Mitsuko's last words, Battle Royale

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

relay01 said:

Please tell me your not serious?
I'm an American and I don't agree with that. I thought you were Canadian. Don't they use metric?

I can't remember ever hearing somebody tell me how tall they are in centimeters outside of an elementary school assignment... ::) We might officially use metric, but unofficially we use imperial. ;D Personally I use imperial for most measurements. I've never met anyone that used metric aside from measuring speed and distance (because our signs post kilometers/hour) and volume (because our gas is sold in litres) and mass (because our drugs are sold in grams ;)). However, outside of drugs most people refer to weight which is again imperial.

HardTranceFan
Member #7,317
June 2006

Quote:

I've never met anyone that used metric aside from measuring speed and distance (because our signs post kilometers/hour).

Get out more :P:)

--
"Shame your mind don't shine like your possessions do" - Faithless (I want more part 1)

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

184 cm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

ReyBrujo
January 2001

Some people like Casablanca. Others like Gone with the Wind. Others like Mozart. And others like to use obsolete 15th century measurements. I guess they also carry rapiers and fight dragons :P

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I'm 188cm. And you should all be happy, I actually used Google to find out how to do the conversion from inches, instead of asking here first ;)

Rampage
Member #3,035
December 2002

The metric system is the tool of the devil! My car gets forty rods to the hogshead and that's the way I likes it.

Quote:

Some people like Casablanca. Others like Gone with the Wind. Others like Mozart. And others like to use obsolete 15th century measurements. I guess they also carry rapiers and fight dragons :P

I like Battleship Potemkin.

-R

Jonatan Hedborg
Member #4,886
July 2004

187. A good height.

Kibiz0r
Member #6,203
September 2005

Quote:

height of allegro members

Rather personal...

6 inches + change, so 16cm or so. About average.

Edit: I'm getting banned for this post...

CursedTyrant
Member #7,080
April 2006

173 cm... yes, I'm short.

---------
Signature.
----
[My Website] | [My YouTube Channel]

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Quote:

I've never met anyone that used metric aside from measuring speed and distance (because our signs post kilometers/hour) and volume (because our gas is sold in litres) and mass (because our drugs are sold in grams ;)).

Then what the hell does that leave? Like it or not, your body weight (sic; I know that weight and mass is not the same thing) is a measure of mass, and your height is a measure of distance. So what's left? Measuring energy in foot-pound force?

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Yes. We should all switch to that system.

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

My id card says 182cm but I think my height is actually just 181cm. ;D

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Unit Wars is another classic Allegro.cc fight!

Scientifically speaking, the metric system is obviously ideal. But for day-to-day usage, it's quite possible that more natural systems are more useful. Or, in the very least, it's irrelevant.

And for what it's worth, almost all packaging here in the USA comes marked in both systems. [eg. A cereal box: 15 oz (425 grams)]

Rampage
Member #3,035
December 2002

Quote:

it's quite possible that more natural systems are more useful.

As long as we all agree on the exact weight of a stone, the length of a foot, etc.

I think that those units are very primitive...

-R

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Quote:

As long as we all agree on the exact weight of a stone, the length of a foot, etc.

Of course. I just mean that whether or not units of large measurements are even powers of smaller measurements is relatively meaningless for day to day usage.

For instance, measuring myself in centimeters does not help me visualize how far a kilometer is. A mile being 5,280 feet may seem arbitrary, but in the grand scheme of things, I really don't care how many feet are in a mile. I just know that City A is 25 miles away from City B, and that means something because I've driven the distance and I can associate the two.

So while the metric system is far more logical, the only system that will feel natural is the one you've grown up using.

HoHo
Member #4,534
April 2004

Quote:

And for what it's worth, almost all packaging here in the USA comes marked in both systems

Funny thing is the same goes for lots of stuff sold in our shops, only that imperial units are in parenthesis.

You can't really say what is more natural, it all depends on what you are used to. Old Babylonians were used to base-60 numeric system and did just fine :)

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

I'm six foot two and refuse to use silly measurements for heights. Similarly, if any of the girls are reading this, my other measurement is 9 inches ;)

There's a time and a place for metric, but that time isn't for measurements that require a discrete and identifiable series or markers.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

ReyBrujo
January 2001

Then you lose USD 125 million :P

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

Like I said, there's a time and a place for metric :)

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Go to: