Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » What music are you into.

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
What music are you into.
Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Quote:

I would like Evanescence, but they are from US, too much marketing around them.

I like Evanescence and I understand what you mean. Even with the CD, listening to the songs they get kind of old quickly. Funny though, she comes from the capital of my state. Sure, many people come from many places, but rarely do people become famous from around here, so I think it is funny. Not :D-funny, but more like ???-funny.

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Onewing said:

I like Evanescence and I understand what you mean. Even with the CD, listening to the songs they get kind of old quickly.

I listen to all of my Evanescence CDs (Fallen, Anywhere But Home, and The Open Door) on repeat and never stop loving them. ;D

Onewing said:

Funny though, she comes from the capital of my state.

Do you think you could find a copy of their first album, Origin? ;D

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Quote:

I listen to Fallen, Anywhere But Home, and The Open Door on repeat for hours/days/weeks and never stop loving them.

I'm sure that's possible. But for me, I can't listen to anything too many times before I tire of it, the exception being Big Wreck. I've tried to figure out what it is I like about them so much to keep enjoying their music, even after close to ten years and I just can't. Perhaps that is why. 8-)

------------

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

For all you techno, acid, hip-hop, trip-hop, drum and bass, and jungle fans out there, I give you this priceless piece of knowledge:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SaFTm2bcac

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Genres
Metal (power metal and heavy metal)
8bit chip tunes and remixes of those (demoscene and classic computer games(C64 and Amiga era))
The above are my favourite genres but I also like Blues(Blues Brothers), Classic, Rock and Folklore(The Dubliners, Torfrock).

Favorites
heavy metal: Iron Maiden
power metal: Blind Guardian, Edguy
chip tunes and remixes: Kohina, SlayRadio, HVSC

Obscure
Well, they are most certainly not unknown to most people on this board but to the general public(whatever that is) they might be completely unknown:
MegaDriver
They are cool, because they combine video game music and metal and call it "GAME METAL".

Paul whoknows
Member #5,081
September 2004

Favorite bands:

Deep Purple
Dio
Iron Maiden
Manowar
Rage
Blind Guardian
Nightwish
Rhapsody Of Fire and Saruman singing in German!!!
Rata Blanca
Grave Digger (I really like this band)
Rage
Megadeth
Hammerfall
Helloween

Guitar Heroes:

Paco de Lucia
Paul Gilbert
Frank Gambale
Eddie Van Halen
Y. J. Malmsteen
Marty Friedman

____

"The unlimited potential has been replaced by the concrete reality of what I programmed today." - Jordan Mechner.

Kibiz0r
Member #6,203
September 2005

Genre:
Mostly Metal,
but some blues/jazz/prog rock/alternative... even some folk music and techno...

Bands:
Coheed and Cambria
Machinae Supremacy
Blind Melon

Obscure:
Apparently depends where you live, but here (USA, not a.cc) I would count Machinae Supremacy as obscure.
Definitely, though, Sieges Even*. Awesome prog rock group.
* at least the recent Sieges Even, never listened to the past incarnations

By the way, ever since I started listening to Machinae, I haven't been able to spell "machine" correctly on the first try. It's quite annoying.

Also, Dennis would probably like MaSu.

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Anybody ever heard of dragon force? Someone I knew mentioned them, so I youtubed them. For the first minute, I was like, meh. Then they started to grow on me once they got to the chorus. The guy also mentioned their music was inspired by video games, but I really don't have a clue.

And then there's the Black Mages, but I don't think you're prepared for this geekdom. ;)

------------

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Kibiz0r: I already know Machinae Supremacy and yeah, they rock too. I didn't list them under obscure, because I thought they are quite mainstream within the "geekscene".

Kibiz0r
Member #6,203
September 2005

Quote:

Kibiz0r: I already know Machinae Supremacy and yeah, they rock too. I didn't list them under obscure, because I thought they are quite mainstream within the "geekscene".

Ah, I've never met anyone randomly online that knew of them, so I figured they were not that prominent even in their milieu. (I have no idea if I used that word right, but it sounds good)

Quote:

And then there's the Black Mages [youtube.com], but I don't think you're prepared for this geekdom. ;)

Awesome! That reminds me of Video Games Live @ GDC. Do you know of Tommy Tallarico?

Paul whoknows
Member #5,081
September 2004

Quote:

And then there's the Black Mages [youtube.com], but I don't think you're prepared for this geekdom. ;)

Final Fantasy VII's ending song SEPHIROTH! :o:o:o

____

"The unlimited potential has been replaced by the concrete reality of what I programmed today." - Jordan Mechner.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Quote:

For all you techno, acid, hip-hop, trip-hop, drum and bass, and jungle fans out there, I give you this priceless piece of knowledge:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SaFTm2bcac

Thanks Mark. That was quite interesting.

Sirocco
Member #88
April 2000

Ah what the hell, I'll bite.

1) Favourite genre of music.

Demoscene. If you're not familiar head over to Scenemusic.net and listen for a while.

2) Three of your favourite bands/musician/producers.

- Orbital
- Devo
- anything by Bart Roijmans

3) Name some obscure band/artist that most people don't know

Plone. It's ultra obscure (on this side of the pond) and they only have one album. Basically a couple of guys collected a bunch of synthesizers and went apeshit, in the process producing one of the best albums I've ever come across.

-->
Graphic file formats used to fascinate me, but now I find them rather satanic.

Michael Faerber
Member #4,800
July 2004

Quote:

What the hell?!? I was just listening to this song myself in the background when I clicked on the link!!!

:o

--
"The basic of informatics is Microsoft Office." - An informatics teacher in our school
"Do you know Linux?" "Linux? Isn't that something for visually impaired people?"

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Quote:

3) Name some obscure band/artist that most people don't know and why they're cool. (same as above, keep it to 1)

Dublin Fair. Semi-obscure in Sweden although they had some great hits a few years back, virtually unknown internationally, but by Gar, do they rock. They play a sort of electronically-assisted Irish folk rock. California - Use the preview widget, Luke. Their greatest hit though is undoubtedly this little ditty.

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

Kitty Cat
Member #2,815
October 2002

Quote:

Anybody ever heard of dragon force [youtube.com]?

Of course. They're awesome. I frequently throw them on when I work on my projects because they give a nice sense of determination (which is a bit funny because if you listen to the lyrics, they're not always all that peppy :P).

You could've picked a better video though. :P

BTW, those are pretty cool, X-G. I may have to check that group out now.

--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will pee on your computer." -- Bruce Graham

jhuuskon
Member #302
April 2000

Sounds like an irish version of Nordman. :D

You don't deserve my sig.

Ron Ofir
Member #2,357
May 2002

I'm pretty much into anything: Metal, Rock, Classical (mostly Barouqe), Blues, Jazz, things like Suzzane Vega, Funk... I'm currently listening mostly to Barouqe, Funk/Rock (Red Hot!!!) and a bit of Guns N' Roses (probably my all time favourite). An obscure band (well, not really obscure but nobody mentioned them) is Béla Fleck and the Flecktones. They do all sorts of fusion music.

Quote:

During my last days there I switched to metal, with bands like Guns'n Roses and Metallica...

I've never really understooed why people call Guns a metal band... But it's the same thing with AC/DC and Led Zeppelin, people just seem to call Hard Rock Metal (Hell, Led don't even fit into Hard Rock!). Oh, and Wikipedia's by my side 8-)

Milan Mimica
Member #3,877
September 2003

1) Genre
Hm... alternative rock, i guess. You tell me.

2) Three favorites - not really favorite, just the first three that passed through my mind
Radiohead - have you heard of them? Have they heard of you?
Alanis Morissette - Yeah, I like her, so what? It doesn't mean I'm gay ::)
Franz Ferdinand - OK, this a bit gay ;D

3) Obscure - I preffer obscure music. I have enough of the non-obscure on the radio...
Sigur Ros Maybe you even heard of them... But looking at what you people listen to - NOT. I like them because I don't understand a bit of what they are singing. It's non intrusive music and you can study, do programming, make love or anything else while enjoying it.

ReyBrujo
January 2001

DragonForce? Never listened to them, but I remember talking to someone to convince her to give us permission to use some of her images at Wikipedia :-)

(Edited: Hey, they are not that bad at all. I have a friend who really likes speed metal, so I will let him know!)

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」
Mitsuko's last words, Battle Royale

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

1) genres are rubbish

2) Three I'm enjoying right now: The Fall, Regina Spektor, Ladytron

3) Of Montreal are the band I like that are most near to the obscure/not obscure boundary to be worth mentioning. They're fun and with their latest have actually come up with an album that's worth listening to as an album, i.e. all the way through from start to finish in a single sitting.

Aside: I'm part of a CD club through which I get often deliberately obscure CDs every month. Yesterday's shipment contained Panda Bear, Amon Tobin and Alberta Cross. All of which I hope to have an opinion on very soon.

EDIT: and, inevitably, my opinions on the music other people have mentioned which I also have heard.

Tricky
I used to listen to Maxinquaye a lot, but that was an awfully long time ago now. But I'm generally all for that 90s Bristol stuff, i.e. Tricky, Massive Attack, Portishead, eventually Roni Size.

Moloko
Ramesses!

Faithless
I like Faithless, though not so much their diversions into hand clappy club music. And let me get this straight, my mind is a weapon of mass destruction?

Moby
I'm not a big fan. Not really sure why.

Air
I loved Moon Safari, then hated 20Khz Legend. And haven't dared buy an Air record since!

Buena Vista Social Club
I have the DVD of the movie, I don't have the CD. Which means that the music has never really entered my rotation. But I liked it.

Orbital
Orbital are another band I have fond memories of from the 90s, but have subsequently lost touch with. I think it's because I've never actually owned one of their CDs, but someone always took at least one to most of the parties I went to around about the time I was in sixth form college. At every party would be In Sides, Garbage, New Forms, Mezzanine and Rafi's Revenge...

Radiohead
The thing I like most about Radiohead is that their musical palate has grown almost exactly in time with my own.

Franz Ferdinand
Liking Franz Ferdinand doesn't make you gay, it just means you're living in the wrong decade! Get some Gang of Four, Josef K, etc in your stereo post-haste...

Kibiz0r
Member #6,203
September 2005

Quote:

Regina Spektor

Ahhhhhhhhhhh, I can't stand her! ><
My condolences to your ears. :-X

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

Quote:

Ahhhhhhhhhhh, I can't stand her! ><
My condolences to your ears.

I think it's part of graduating to proper full time employment that I actually enjoy enough to want to focus on — I've had to source some very unintrusive music!

Milan Mimica
Member #3,877
September 2003

Quote:

Liking Franz Ferdinand doesn't make you gay

mkay... how about Placebo? I love their music. Sex, drugs, and some more drugs.

Kibiz0r
Member #6,203
September 2005

I probably should've mentioned Jonathan Coulton. Especially Re: Your Brains and Code Monkey.
(all his music is free)

1   2   3 

Go to: