Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » What music are you into.

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
What music are you into.
Matt Weir
Member #7,476
July 2006

I love music, it rules my world. I love making music, listening to music and going to gigs so this is my thread to find out what everyone else is into. Hopefully I can get some hints here for new stuff to check out that I otherwise wouldn't.

Basically it will go like this:

1) Favourite genre of music. Just name one that your most into, it can be a specific sub sub culture. (ie. egyptian heavy metal, celtic goa trance etc.) If it is an obscure genre explain it a little for all our enjoyment.

2) Three of your favourite bands/musician/producers. (try and keep it to 3. A 2 page list is way too much to digest, I actually plan on checking out some stuff here)

3) Name some obscure band/artist that most people don't know and why they're cool. (same as above, keep it to 1)

Easy! And no negative comments about other peoples picks, it's all subjective. If you really like reggae-polka-acid techo-bagpipe-freestyle fusion then good for you! (and that really would be worth checking out, crazy!)

Here's mine.

1) Genre -
Liquid Funk Drum and Bass. (basically Drum and Bass with jazz/funk stuff on top, all about subby bass and smooth rhythms)

2) Three favourites -
Shapeshifter - Live Drum and Bass band, big rolling anthems with soulful vocals over the top.
Strung Out - Melodic Hardcore Punk band with awesome technical guitaring and lots of detail in the songs.
Pitch Black - Two person electronic dub/dance group. Basically really crazy trippy ambient dub over the top of hipnotic repetitive beats.

3) Obscure -
Enduser - A solo producer who's music essentially sounds like a CD skipping and f**king up with distorted, cutup beats. Probably the most messed up music I've ever heard, sounds like a descent into insanity. Awesome!

Go on, tell the world how great your music is, you know you want to!

kazzmir
Member #1,786
December 2001

Matt Weir
Member #7,476
July 2006

Ah, but talking to other people and hearing their opinions is much more fun than trawling through internet radio stations by yourself. ;)

le_y_mistar
Member #8,251
January 2007

1) a little bit of everything

2) Changes all the time, but right now, I'm into:

Richard Gibbs
Fu Manchu
Tribe Called Quest

3) Not very obscure, but i like King Crimson.

-----------------
I'm hell of an awesome guy :)

manjula
Member #3,569
June 2003

why does it have to be obscure? why do you scorn Gwen?

Matt Weir
Member #7,476
July 2006

Tribe Called Quest! That brings back memories! Checking out King Crimson now (free mp3's on their website), weird stuff but definitely interesting! Cool odd time signature stuff.

Quote:

why does it have to be obscure? why do you scorn Gwen?

Only the last one is the obscure one, simply to try and find something other people might never have heard of. If you like the Backstreet Boys or something like that it's fine with me, put them down as one of your favourites! :)

Me said:

And no negative comments about other peoples picks, it's all subjective.

Scorn Gwen? I'm sorry but I don't understand what you mean by that.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

This is an awesome thread. I love this kind of thing.

Genre

Alternative rock, I guess. Whatever the following groups fall under. :D I also listen to rap and country though.

Three Favourites

Evanescence (Alternative Rock) is basically classical piano (and many other classical influences) with angelic vocals and alternative rock. This is my favorite band. :)

(Official | Wikipedia)

Seether (Alternative Metal) is basically heavier rock, though they do some acoustic as well. A lot of it sounds angry, broken hearted, or regretful. This feels awesome when somebody breaks your heart... :-/

(Official | Wikipedia)

Linkin Park (Nu Metal) are basically really creative in combining rock/rap. They have a vocalist that sings amazingly well and an "emcee" that adds some rap to the mix. The music is awesome too. I can't describe it. It's just a really awesome group. And you're just in time for a new album release. ;D

(Official | Wikipedia)

Obscure

Eisley, which is again another form of alternative rock. They have a unique sound to them and it's very beautiful.

(Official | Wikipedia)

Matt Weir
Member #7,476
July 2006

Awesome bamccaig. Formatting AND Wiki links. I've even updated my original post with the same because of your effort. (In case you haven't realised I'm actually checking out all of these if I've never heard of them or aren't too familiar.)

Come on the rest of you, get out of the war, guns, politics, religion, girl problems, Richard Gere threads! :D

manjula
Member #3,569
June 2003

1) Favourite genre of music.
I tolerate most genres quite happily

2) Three of your favourite bands/musician/producers.
A. R. Rahman wikipedia
Our Lady Peace
The Rabbits http://therabbitsmusic.com (shameless plug)

3) Name some obscure band/artist that most people don't know and why they're cool.
Sergei Prokofiev (not obscure at all) - I liked his ballet "Romeo and Juliet" and Peter and the Wolf
Ilayaraja (famous Indian film composer) wikipedia

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Quote:

Our Lady Peace

:D

I prefer to have a collage of it all. When I'm feelin' all dark, Tool. When I'm feelin' all light, D.C. Talk. When I want a little rock, errr, several things. Feelin' like a dance groove, Jamirquai (sp?). Any occasion? Big Wreck, which has it all. So I have all the colors to choose from to fit my mood.

Except for brown. I don't like country. :-/

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Matt Weir
Member #7,476
July 2006

Manjula said:

A. R. Rahman

Wikipedia Trivia said:

He has sold more than 100 million records world-wide,[7] and sold over 200 million cassettes,[8] making him arguably the world's all time top-selling recording artist.

And I've never heard of the guy! I've been finding some bits and pieces of songs on the web and they sound really good. I've been getting into film scores's lately ever since I bought the 'Ghost in the Shell' soundtrack by Kenji Kawai. Completely different from A.R. Rahman but good stuff.

Onewing said:

Jamiroquai

Yeah! 'Use The Force' (on 'Travelling Without Moving' was the song I picked to be in the background of a skateboarding vid I was in!

ReyBrujo
January 2001

Symphonic and/or gothic metal, as long as fronted by a woman. I also like some power metal. However, the requisite is to be from a non-English country from Europe. I personally hate US or UK music groups.

I would like Evanescence, but they are from US, too much marketing around them. Oh, by the way, on this next Monday I will be assisting to Epica's concert down here, I hope to take some good pictures for Wikipedia (after all, that is why I bought this thing... that reminds me, I owe Paul the pics :P). And on the following Thursday, I am assisting to the International Book Fair down here, Tarja Turunen, ex-singer of Nightwish, will be in the Finnish stand.

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」
Mitsuko's last words, Battle Royale

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

ReyBruto said:

I would like Evanescence, but they are from US, too much marketing around them.

::)

Matt Weir said:

And no negative comments about other peoples picks, it's all subjective.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

1) Genre

Trip-hop, aka acid-rap, aka acid-hip-hop.

2) Favourites

Tricky - the king of Trip-hop, though he hates the term. Great music with clever lyrics.
Moloko - an ecclectic mix of beats and sounds with an awesome vocalist.
Thievery Corporation - always yummy!

3) Obscure

Jelleestone - A Canadian rap group I'm rather fond of.

edit:

Quote:

Pitch Black - Two person electronic dub/dance group. Basically really crazy trippy ambient dub over the top of hipnotic repetitive beats.

I love those guys. Their live sets in the middle of the bush totally go off.

ReyBrujo
January 2001

Oh, sorry, I didn't notice Mr. Rolleyes had chosen Evanescence. I singled them out because they were in Argentina last weekend, and I like many of their songs, but unfortunately they are in so many radio rotations that you end up hating them.

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」

le_y_mistar
Member #8,251
January 2007

haha yeah, bammacaib or whatever that kid's name is has some pretty bad taste. Well, can't expect much from a guy who thinks that an FF movie defines art.:P

-----------------
I'm hell of an awesome guy :)

HardTranceFan
Member #7,317
June 2006

Genre:
Depends on my mood. It swings from lounge to hard trance to dance and then fluctuates to some of Eminem, Linkin Park or Bjork.

Three favourites:
Faithless
Moby
Jean Michel Jarre
Air (hey, I can't count :))

Obscure:
Buena Vista Social Club (ok, they may not be obscure, but different to my general tastes).

Currently listening to Juno Reactor (Odyssey and Labyrinth), Malcom Maclaren's "Round the Outside" plus a few lounge albums. I always have time for my 3 favourites (they really help to pass time at work).

--
"Shame your mind don't shine like your possessions do" - Faithless (I want more part 1)

Matt Weir
Member #7,476
July 2006

Oi! You guys can cut that out! I refuse to let my thread descend into rubbish, take it to the Richard Gere thread.
And now we shall carry on like nothing ever happened... 8-)

ReyBrujo - You should have a look at my friends website. He's really into his metal (I recognized some of the bands you mentioned from conversations with him) and he has one of the largest collection of music I've ever seen. Anyway he writes really good, intelligent reviews so you might find some stuff there that you haven't heard before.

He doesn't update the site as much anymore (he's just finished becoming a Doctor, take that heavy metal stereotypes!) but there's a lot of stuff there. Nightfall

LennyLen - If you don't have it already, I THOROUGHLY reccommend 'Babylon Rewound' by Thievery Corporation. Its all the songs from 'Richest Man in Babylon' but completely remixed and dubbed out. It's basically a new album, not like the majority of 'remix albums' which turn out horible.

I am lucky enough to have also witnessed Pitch Black playing live at an outside venue in the middle of nowhere. Pretty much sealed them at the top of my list. ;D

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

ReyBrujo said:

Oh, sorry, I didn't notice Mr. Rolleyes had chosen Evanescence. I singled them out because they were in Argentina last weekend, and I like many of their songs, but unfortunately they are in so many radio rotations that you end up hating them.

For me it doesn't matter how many times I hear music that I love... :-/ My mood doesn't always fit it, but I still know that I like it.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Quote:

Currently listening to Juno Reactor (Odyssey and Labyrinth)

Labyrinth is an awesome album! It's my second favourite JR album after Transmissions.

edit:

Quote:

If you don't have it already, I THOROUGHLY reccommend 'Babylon Rewound' by Thievery Corporation. Its all the songs from 'Richest Man in Babylon' but completely remixed and dubbed out. It's basically a new album, not like the majority of 'remix albums' which turn out horible.

I'll check it out. Thanks.

Quote:

I am lucky enough to have also witnessed Pitch Black playing live at an outside venue in the middle of nowhere. Pretty much sealed them at the top of my list.

I got to see them play live three times in one week a few years ago (Caanan Downs, a field outside of Takaka, and Kaikoura). That was a great week.

HardTranceFan
Member #7,317
June 2006

Excellent. Some more albums to keep an eye out for - Transmissions and Babylon Rewound.

Oh, and can anyone recommend a good Ian Pooley album or two (hard as they are to get hold of in the shops here)?

--
"Shame your mind don't shine like your possessions do" - Faithless (I want more part 1)

Hard Rock
Member #1,547
September 2001

Quote:

Doom metal, Arch Enemy [archenemy.net] (Sweden), just because of Angela Gossow.

Are you serious? She's like the worst person in the band! I mean she's cool and all but the Amott brothers are excellent on the guitar together (Chris also announced his return! W00t) and the bass and drums are also good. However she needs electronic assistance to even be able to compete.

And the aren't doom metal. They fit under melodic (death) metal. Very similar to late carcass of which Michael also belonged to for a period of time. Although genre doesn't really mean much.

As for the negative comments, Arch Enemy is one of my favorite bands, I just haven't been happy with anything after Wages of Sin (good album, but after that...)

On my own side I listen to a variety of metal, of which almost all bands have already been mentioned to death over past similar threads so I won't even bother going through them.

I will however bring up Rush (new album coming out) and E Nomine (Techno and Gregorian chanting) as I've been also listening to a variety of strange stuff as of late.

Matt Weir
Member #7,476
July 2006

Haha! The first time I saw Pitch Black was at the last Gathering that ever happened, Takaka Hill. Wasn't at Canaan Downs sadly (awesome location) but I've been there for Phat'05 (Salmonella Dub, Shapeshifter, Concord Dawn...). That whole area is one of my favourite places in NZ. Takaka's like the little hippy town the world forgot!

Hard Trance Fan = likes Hard Trance music? Not a suprise... ;D

I used to be a big fan of Hard Trance (enough to be a DJ once anyway ;) ). If you go to gigs around Wellington you might know my friend Racheal, aka. DJ Random, she was one of the ones who started 'Cheeky Chicks'.

BTW. I've never heard of Juno Reactor before now, but I found a vid on Youtube, that's some EPIC stuff!

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Quote:

Haha! The first time I saw Pitch Black was at the last Gathering that ever happened, Takaka Hill.

I was there too (I was a the last four Gatherings), but I'm pretty hazy on the details of that party. ;)

Quote:

That whole area is one of my favourite places in NZ.

Me too. I always spend at least a week up there every year, and usually make it to at least one outdoor party.

edit:

Quote:

Some more albums to keep an eye out for - Transmissions and Babylon Rewound.

Here's the first track from Transmissions.

ReyBrujo
January 2001

Even the bands I like end tiring me up, that is why I have many, so that I can randomize them ;)

The only two songs I never get tired of are Ghost Love Score by Nightwish (this is the last half, the full song clocks at over 10 minutes, you can notice Tarja is a professional opera singer) and the live version of Ice Queen by Within Temptation (bad quality, but it is too late to find a better version).

When in my first years at secondary school, I listened to dance music (I kind of remember Ace of Base, in example). During my last days there I switched to metal, with bands like Guns'n Roses and Metallica, then Argentinian heavy metal (Rata Blanca is my last bound to that time). While studing engineering, I switched to doom metal, and until three years ago or so, I only listened to death metal (Arch Enemy is my last bound to that time of my life). However, my ears said enough, so I switched to something softer, and have been pretty happy with the change. I really like the mixture between metal music and an opera singer.

Quote:

Are you serious? She's like the worst person in the band!

Hehehe, I never said I didn't like the founders, but I started listening to them after Angela joined, it is not as if I grew up with them, so I am used to her grunts.

Quote:

And the aren't doom metal. They fit under melodic (death) metal.

Yeah, you are right. I meant death metal, got the genres mixed while thinking in my youth. I bought their Live Apocalypse DVD, ripped it to watch it on phone, but somehow ffmpeg crashes every time it must create the file. By the way, Arch Enemy was here on February, I went there, but everything was booked (I didn't expect them to fill the 1,500 or so tickets, guess they have enough fans here ;)).

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」

1   2   3 

Go to: