Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Impeachment Day

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3   4 
Impeachment Day
LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Quote:

Well, if Canada tried to pull the same thing to protect our industries then you can bet the United States would probably just punish us by completely sealing off the border all together.

Meh, American "punishments" aren't that bad. They tried initiating all sorts of trade sanctions and cancelling mutual assistance deals with New Zealand when we refused their nuclear ships entry to ur ports, and it never ammounted to anything. We just found new trading partners.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

You should be embarrassed by that, not proud.

Who said I was proud? ::) Did you not see it was a reply to Matthews comment? Wow. smrt.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

Red Green was quite popular with Americans while it was on the air. I believe alot of the stereotypical views of Canada arose from a series of skits on Saturday Night Live: "The Mackenzie Brothers". They were the ones who talked like "Hey hosehead, lets go get some beer and bacon eh?"

It seems only the funny, stereotypical Canadian stuff reaches Americans, but hey, it makes me laugh.

And Bamccaig, having spoken to over a thousand random Americans (as well as a dozen or so family members in San Diego), this hour has 22 minutes does not exaggerate much.

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

It seems only the funny, stereotypical Canadian stuff reaches Americans.

I know eh?

On that note, Canadian Comics are some of the best :) We seem to export a ton of comics and actors.

edit: We also have the Just for Laughs comedy festival. Largest on the Planet.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

Mike Myers is good too. Americans seem to like his movies (Austin Powers and Wayne's World to name a couple). I know I do 8-)

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Quote:

On that note, Canadian Comics are some of the best We seem to export a ton of comics and actors.

Trailer Park Boys also beats pretty much every American comedy show too. It's almost as good as British comedy.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Thomas Fjellstrom said:

Your obsession over the states has clearly clouded your vision of your own country.

Not at all. I appreciate Canada for what it is.

Samuel Henderson said:

Red Green was quite popular with Americans while it was on the air.

That was a moderately funny show, but also low budget and I doubt it would appeal to many Americans south of the border states. I definitely can't see a major city resident enjoying it... ::)

Thomas Fjellstrom said:

We also have the Just for Laughs comedy festival. Largest on the Planet.

Yeah, that's pretty cool, however, hosted in Quebec. :-X

SonShadowCat
Member #1,548
September 2001

Quote:

The real reason Americans go to Canada is to laugh at people who end all of their sentences with "eh?". ;D

I thought it was the low legal age of consent( 14), that's why I would go...:-X

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

Alot of people in Tennessee enjoyed it according to someone from Tennessee, but that was probably just his opinion.

Quebec has it's uses. Maple Syrup, Laughs, and Montreal sum up the best of them I think.

Edit:
Oh man, I hope my Grandmother isn't reading this. She's from France and LOVES Quebec (France even more so). No blood relation though, she married my grandfather after he and my realgrandmother divorced.

And now Bamccaig, as well as everyone at Allegro.cc and people on the intarwebs in general have a small view at my heritage.

edit2:

Quote:

I thought it was the low legal age of consent( 14), that's why I would go...

::) There is talk of raising that to 16... last I heard anyways.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

SonShadowCat said:

I thought it was the low legal age of consent( 14), that's why I would go...

I would leave your name at the border, but at most it would keep you in Canada... :-/ It doesn't really matter because that age of consent law doesn't apply to you. It only allows a 14 year old to consent to another 14 - 17 year old.

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

Canadian Library of Parliment said:

The Criminal Code does not now criminalize consensual sexual activity with or between persons 14 or over, unless it takes place in a relationship of trust or dependency, in which case sexual activity with persons over 14 but under 18 can constitute an offence, notwithstanding their consent. Even consensual activity with those under 14 but over 12 may not be an offence if the accused is under 16 and less than two years older than the complainant. The exception, of course, is anal intercourse, to which unmarried persons under 18 cannot legally consent, although both the Ontario Court of Appeal(3) and the Quebec Court of Appeal(4) have struck down the relevant section of the Criminal Code.

:P

SonShadowCat
Member #1,548
September 2001

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

Quote:

Can your friend go and see the leaves on a maple tree changing colour in the fall like you can up here? I somewhat doubt it.

Absolutely not; Southern California is all desert except about a 5 mile strip along the ocean. There aren't many 'green' trees in the southwest US, mostly conifers, palm, or joshua trees. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mojave_desert

Lots of Canadians have done very well in the US: Mike Meyers for one, that guy from News Radio and.... yeah lots.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

nonnus29 said:

Absolutely not; Southern California is all desert except about a 5 mile strip along the ocean. There aren't many 'green' trees in the southwest US, mostly conifers, palm, or joshua trees. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mojave_desert

Are there any states in the United States with trees whose leaves change color in the fall? If she would otherwise travel to Canada, it won't hurt to travel to anywhere in the United States; for example, Michigan; instead.

nonnus29 said:

Lots of Canadians have done very well in the US: Mike Meyers for one, that guy from News Radio and.... yeah lots.

Here's a list that I skimmed out of Wikipedia... I'm only guessing that they were successful in the United States, but lets face it, if you're successful in entertainment you didn't do it in Canada. ;D

• Avril Lavigne

• Elisha Cuthbert

• Eugene Levy

• Howie Mandel

• Jill Hennessy

• Jim Carrey

• Keanu Reeves

• Matthew Perry

• Mike Myers

• Nelly Furtado

• Neve Campbell

• Pamela Anderson

• Sandra Oh

• Skye Sweetnam

• Tom Green

• William Shatner

Canadians are definitely more successful in the United States then they are in Canada. :P

Hard Rock
Member #1,547
September 2001

CSI is produced in partnership with Alliance Atlantis, so that would make it partially Canadian. I heard it was a pretty big series.....

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Alliance Atlantis is into all sorts of stuff.

Nortel was pretty big during the DotCom boom. They aren't gone yet, so hopefully they stick around. Too bad really, they make some nice networking hardware.

--

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

Quote:

Are there any states in the United States with trees whose leaves change color in the fall?

Wait.. I don't get the joke..

In case there is no joke, yes there are trees in the United States whose trees change color in the fall ??????

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Dustin Dettmer said:

Wait.. I don't get the joke..

In case there is no joke, yes there are trees in the United States whose trees change color in the fall ??????

I've seen the leaves change color 20 times (minus 1-3 for conscious thought)... It's nothing new. When I go into the States I don't notice if it happens there too. I'd have to assume it does (and I think I said that earlier), but for all I know they don't. I was defending that they do in response to Sam...

Samuel Henderson said:

Can your friend go and see the leaves on a maple tree changing colour in the fall like you can up here? I somewhat doubt it.

In short, yes, my friend can see the leaves change color. ;D I don't know how far she would have to travel, but probably (definitely) not to Canada.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Nope. Around here if we spot a tree's leaves changing colors, we cut it down and ship it to Canada.

Archon
Member #4,195
January 2004

Quote:

Canada relies on [USA] for trade.

If America cuts off the trade then Canada will plunge into poverty -- then arise, COMMUNISM and WAR!

(For those who don't know what I'm talking about, that's what happened with Japan during/after the great depression.

KnightWhoSaysNi
Member #7,339
June 2006

The US needs Canada more than Canada needs the US. The US imports more oil from Canada than it does from Saudi Arabia.

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

My tree argument is pretty weak when you apply it to all of USA. I intended it specifically for bamccaig's friend in California. It is to my understanding that they leaves are no where near as vibrant as ours are in the fall.

And yes, I know that she could go to other states and see the same thing, my point was that there are other vacationy things aside from skiing and beaches.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I just saw on the news something about American protests where the protesters were throwing rocks at peace keeping police so the police fought back to contain them. Then the protesters were showing their minor wounds to news cameras like the government is abusing them... ::)

It's stupid people like them that make the others look bad. If I was the cop I'd just fucking shoot you. >:( The police don't even directly represent the President... Why lash out at them!?

Any anti-Bush people should be put on the spot to solve the problems the President is faced with. And when the "..." happens smack them for their ignorance. 8-)

(I don't know where this happened and don't know all of the facts. This is my interpretation)

1   2   3   4 

Go to: