Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » The Adventures of Sean

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
The Adventures of Sean
Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

The MS Paint thread made me search for the game named in the topic. I found it, an old Hypercard stack made in the ages of 68k Macs. I also found a Hypercard player that works on OSX Classic. Anyway, here are some screenshots from the game:

{"name":"591869","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/1\/d1d202ea5df1d81fbbc63bcb0e590b1e.gif","w":463,"h":328,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/1\/d1d202ea5df1d81fbbc63bcb0e590b1e"}591869
{"name":"591870","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/3\/c3ee63df1aa65c4ce1076d16bf6dec61.gif","w":464,"h":328,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/3\/c3ee63df1aa65c4ce1076d16bf6dec61"}591870
{"name":"591871","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/e\/aeee4482259ddb626c36407980c5456c.gif","w":623,"h":365,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/e\/aeee4482259ddb626c36407980c5456c"}591871

What I like is the rough quality of the graphics combined with a great rpg story.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Wow... How does it play (text-based, side-scroller, etc.)?

There was an awesome Flash game that had a sort of artistic style that I loved. It played really well too... I'll try to find it...

Simon Parzer
Member #3,330
March 2003

Quote:

There was an awesome Flash game that had a sort of artistic style that I loved. It played really well too... I'll try to find it...

You mean Johnny Rocketfingers?

Kibiz0r
Member #6,203
September 2005

Quote:

How does it play (text-based, side-scroller, etc.)?

It's Hypercard, so it's basically a point and click adventure.

Hypercard owned, btw. ;-)

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Simon Parzer said:

You mean Johnny Rocketfingers [aeonity.com]?

No, but at a glance from work it looks worth checking out. Thanks for the link. :D

Kibiz0r
Member #6,203
September 2005

Did the characters' faces look like

(-|-)

?

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Quote:

How does it play (text-based, side-scroller, etc.)?

Yes, you click. Very minimal animation. And chip like music. When you click on an area that is a hot spot, the area turns negative. It takes you to the next frame or it opens a dialog. The beginning of the story: Sean wakes up, throws his alarm clock through the window. It kills a pedestrian, Sean's neighbour. He gets her keys...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

Ahh adventure games. I miss those. I just recently purchased the Kings Quest Collection. I want to write my own adventure game someday. The graphics would probably turn out like OP's, except with more colours :).

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

bamccaig said:

I remember! :D Fancy Pants Adventures! The animation is so fluid... I like it.

Kibiz0r
Member #6,203
September 2005

King's Quest is what made me want to make games. I used to play it by sitting on my dad's lap and telling him what to do because I wasn't old enough to make it work by myself yet.

I found it in our basement about a year ago and tried it out, but it was not nearly as good as my sugar-coated memories of it.

Edit: It was actually King's Quest... 3? Anyways, not the first one.

Edit the second:
Fancy Pants Adventures? I will quote you my negative review of that when I get back from class...

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

Fancypants was fun. It's NOT an adventure game though. I liken it more to a fast pace side scroller. Much like Sonic the Hedgehog.

Kibiz0r
Member #6,203
September 2005

It clearly took a lot of time, and I respect that. But he played it safe. It costs nothing to make a Flash game, so why make what's basically already been made? There isn't much that separates it from the 5k other platformers out there.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Kibiz0r said:

It costs nothing to make a Flash game, so why make what's basically already been made? There isn't much that separates it from the 5k other platformers out there.

What's different about the costs of making a Flash game verses a game with Allegro/C++? ???

As far as I know you have to own Macromedia Flash MX <version>; and have to pay if you want to legally distribute your movie. You still need artists to do the art, although an animation framework and interface is already developed for you, and that takes time. You still need scripters/programmers to script all of the game's functionality and that takes time.

It might be a higher level approach than say a game written mostly in C++, but that doesn't mean that it's effortless. N is one of the best 2D games I've played and it was developed with Flash.

Also, coming up with innovative 2D game designs isn't an every day thing. It really takes time to do and there's nothing wrong with building another game based around older techniques; especially when it's executed so well.

Afterall, there are many Allegro games that are very similar to each other in terms of gameplay.

Besides, of the games that I have played developed with Allegro I'd say that Fancy Pants Adventures easily stacks up against most of them. I'm not saying that's true for all Allegro games, but for the ones I've played it is.

I'm not a fan of Flash development. I prefer something programmer-oriented where anything is possible. Still though, I respect Flash games for what they are. Mostly a good distraction from class. :P

I also attribute Flash development as more of an artist's domain than a programmer's.

Samuel Henderson said:

It's NOT an adventure game though. I liken it more to a fast pace side scroller.

I think they meant adventure in terms of the game itself; not the type of game. It's about the adventures of Fancy Pants; hense, Fancy Pants Adventures. :-/

Kibiz0r
Member #6,203
September 2005

O rly? Hm. I think my mom pirated Flash, then. Good for her.

Quote:

It might be a higher level approach than say a game written mostly in C++, but that doesn't mean that it's effortless. N is one of the best 2D games I've played and it was developed with Flash.

N is a great game. It's got originality, though. It's not a 1:1 emulation of another game.

Quote:

Also, coming up with innovative 2D game designs isn't an every day thing. It really takes time to do and there's nothing wrong with building another game based around older techniques; especially when it's executed so well.

It's true, for a portfolio piece. But if I'm going to pimp a specific game on a.cc, it's got to stand out somehow. There's a tenet that says a good game should either introduce a new concept or do what has already been done very well. I thought that Sonic did the running a lot better, and Mario did the jumping a lot better.

I'm not saying it's a bad game, it's just not worth mentioning, to me.

Edit: And now I've derailed a topic! How much XP do I get for that?

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

Quote:

O rly? Hm. I think my mom pirated Flash, then. Good for her.

I'm sorry, I can't resist: Clicky

I was thinking about making a simple flash game just to say I've done one ;)

Edit:
Odd, the url tags weren't displaying properly?

Edit: :o That explains alot. Fixed!

Kibiz0r
Member #6,203
September 2005

^--You win at BB Code--^

I'm going to give Fancy Pants another go and see if I can find something redeeming.

Edit: Hm. I've found something very interesting. At home, I played this with the sound on and it sounded very cheap. But here in class, with the sound off, it even seems like the weight of the character feels better. I never would've estimated that sound would make such a difference, though my animation prof always insists it does. :P

I think I have to kind of reverse my position on the game. It still doesn't have anything original, but it does have a better weight to it than most platformers that feel like they're puppets on strings.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Go to: