Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Opera is nice

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
Opera is nice
Jonatan Hedborg
Member #4,886
July 2004

I got to try it today, and i like it a lot so far. I have it configured so it works as i am used to (like firefox hehe), but it feels "cleaner" somehow.
The only thing i miss so far is automatic spell-checking (though that was a PITA as well).

Anyone else use it or have any experience with it?

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

I only use it to test the stuff I webmaster. And there, Opera's overly-aggressive caching is hell.

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

le_y_mistar
Member #8,251
January 2007

the main reason i use firefox over opera is because it (firefox) has foxytunes and adblock

-----------------
I'm hell of an awesome guy :)

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

Quote:

Opera's overly-aggressive caching is hell.

What exactly do you mean?

[FMC Studios] - [Caries Field] - [Ctris] - [Pman] - [Chess for allegroites]
Written laws are like spiders' webs, and will, like them, only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful will easily break through them. -Anacharsis
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

zenofeller_
Member #8,364
February 2007

i've been using opera for about 3 years now. i also have firefox but i can't stand it, ocasionally have to fire it up to see how it mis-renders html in pages i put up.

I, however, am strongly suggesting that you START CAPITALIZING, FUCK IT! (gnolam)

kentl
Member #2,905
November 2002

zenofeller_: Could you give any specific examples? It's more likely (but of course it's not certain) that you're the one writing faulty HTML than it rendering standard compliant HTML incorrectly. ;)

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Given that the guy doesn't even bother with writing English properly, I'd say that's an infinitely more likely scenario.

FMC said:

What exactly do you mean?

It caches a hell of a lot more than it should, making it a royal PITA to test your changes.

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Jonatan Hedborg
Member #4,886
July 2004

Firefox does apparently have some issues with floating that opera does not have. I haven't seen it in practice yet though (only used opera for a few hours).

I did notice the cache-thing - a bit annoying. But i often make a "full refresh" when i test changes anyway (both FF and, especially, IE seems to cache stylesheets a bit to tenaciously).

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

I, for the first time, was actually just doing some web development (other than just for my own personal sites). We had to make it work for IE and I got some of the joys of trying to write broken code (finally see what everyone here has been telling me). Yes, the caching turned out to be an issue. I couldn't figure out why our javascript wasn't working...because it wasn't changing until we "fully" refreshed the page.

Anyway, as I mentioned in my last thread, what annoys me about Opera is I keep running into sites that don't work on it. "You've got to upgrade your browser" messages tick me off. I wanted to make a McDonalds building to have in SimCity4 and I couldn't use Opera to register on their site. I wanted to watch the last episode of Hereos, but the videos wouldn't play on Opera. Maybe I have some incorrect setting set...

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

Last night I went to a "Battle of the browsers" event which had key developers for IE, FF and Opera.

Pretty interesting, a lot of witty fighting and undertones. Fun to watch, actually.

Jonatan Hedborg
Member #4,886
July 2004

That sounds fun. Anything on YouTube/Googlevid/whatever?

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

They had video cameras recording everything so I'm sure its on the internet somewhere. It was done at Yahoo.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Things I don't like about Opera:

• The order it closes tabs.

• Pressing Tab on the address dropdown doesn't select list.

• The crazy default skin doesn't look like Windows, and the "Windows Native" skin is total crap under Vista.

• The content blocking is horrible compared to AdBlock+. Even on broadband, I cannot stand to browse the web with flash ads, etc.

• Lack of good developer tools.

But everything else is pretty much two thumbs up, so the above list is trivial compared to another certain web browser that ships with Windows. :P

zenofeller_
Member #8,364
February 2007

Quote:

Could you give any specific examples? It's more likely (but of course it's not certain) that you're the one writing faulty HTML than it rendering standard compliant HTML incorrectly.

well, obviously. but i thought (tho may be wrong) that the entire idea behind html is that it will render fine no matter how faulty you write it. wasn't it ?

about the issues matthew raises, i don't have any shape or form of flash player installed nor will i ever, as a side effect i don't see any flash adds. but if i did that'd piss me off. other than that, the first three are all a matter of what you're used to/expect, so obviously ymmv. developer tools, like what ?

I, however, am strongly suggesting that you START CAPITALIZING, FUCK IT! (gnolam)

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Quote:

the entire idea behind html is that it will render fine no matter how faulty you write it. wasn't it ?

That's an impossible guarantee no matter what language you're telking about. To quote old Babbage...

Quote:

On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

zenofeller_
Member #8,364
February 2007

actually, the guarantee could be offered for a very simple language. if the machine turns input into all 1's... well.

(i need to look into sarcasml)

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

Quote:

actually, the guarantee could be offered for a very simple language. if the machine turns input into all 1's... well.

But then you could never put in the wrong figures :P

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

Quote:

developer tools, like what ?

http://www.google.com/search?q=Firebug

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Also web developer toolbar can come in handy.

Rampage
Member #3,035
December 2002

Firefox's Javascript console has saved me countless hours of debugging, and just because of that, I've never felt the need to try another browser.

-R

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Quote:

The order it closes tabs

What exactly do you mean? In my experience, it closes them in the order that I click on their 'close' buttons. But I suspect this isn't what you mean.

Quote:

The crazy default skin doesn't look like Windows

Usually the first thing I do after installing Windows is stop it looking like Windows. ;)

That being said, I don't like the default Opera skin that much. Mind you, FF's default skin is fugly as hell as well.

Quote:

The content blocking is horrible compared to AdBlock+. Even on broadband, I cannot stand to browse the web with flash ads, etc.

With a firewall that does ad-blocking, this isn't an issue, no matter what browser you use.

Most complaints here about Opera seem to be about lack of Web Developer tools. For those of us who aren't web developers, we get the luxury of not caring, and fater rendering speeds.

jhuuskon
Member #302
April 2000

Quote:

What exactly do you mean? In my experience, it closes them in the order that I click on their 'close' buttons. But I suspect this isn't what you mean.

When hammering ctrl+f4 Opera closes tabs in the order they have been viewed.

You don't deserve my sig.

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

Quote:

Firefox's Javascript console has saved me countless hours of debugging, and just because of that, I've never felt the need to try another browser.

Opera has one too.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

The Opera we have at work totally screws up the image cache. I've mentioned it here earlier. It looks funny, when the row of smileys (on a.cc forum) includes one or two avatars. And when I read my e-mail (Open mail), the button images are all mixed. Pressing reload throws me out and I have to log in again. I guess the problem is with that particular Opera version, probably in combination with some proxy settings, I don't know. Anyhow I have no control over it. But on my Win laptop at home, Opera is just great.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Quote:

I guess the problem is with that particular Opera version

I'm pretty certain it is. I remember experiencing that bug, but it's been fixed.

1   2 

Go to: