Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » The Allegro '06 Awards!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
The Allegro '06 Awards!
Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Another zany idea from yours-truely...

2006! What a year (what a very long year)! I think it's time to sit back and appreciate the community once more for their hard efforts in hobbyist game programming. At least, that's the goal, whatever the outcome may be...

What I'm suggesting is a few different categories in which the community votes on for who they think deserves the title. Think of it as several main-page polls in one! And what do you get for winning/receiving a title? Well, what do you get for making a free game? Nothing! Perhaps some self-satisfaction or bragging rights (you can always link back to this post in your sig). Oh, and I guess I could give out credits or somethin'... ;D

So, without further ado, here's the categories I came up with. I welcome to more categories, in which case I will add them to the OP if you'd like to suggest them. :)

Best New Game - Added to the depot in '06.
Best Update to a Game - An update that really made a game better
Best Maintained Game - A game the author constantly keeps improving whether for bug fixes or based on community feedback
Best Hacked Game - The best game of all the various allegro Hacks of '06
Most Influential Person
Most Helpful Person
Most Annoying Person
Weirdest Person
Category Game - Vote for your favorite game of '06 (not necessarily published or updated in '06) for each of the 13 different project categories (as suggested on the main page)
Best Game - The best allegro game of '06
Worst Game - The worst allegro game of '06
Best Thread - Good luck narrowing down your favorite thread of '06...
Best Graphical Game of '06 - The game you think deserves awards for its graphics
Best Music in Game of '06 - The game you think has the best music

The word "game" above can be replaced with utility,add-on library, and/or engine.

I can't imagine votes going to all the above categories, but it at least gives you something to think about. Cast votes by posting or PM'ing me. ;D

[edit] - as you may have guessed, not all categories have to do with games, but some are for allegro members. :)

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Tomasz Grajewski
Member #4,284
February 2004

Hey, cool idea! So maybe also a best remake category?

___________________________________________________________________________________________
mBlocks - a Tetris clone written in JavaScript | Merix Studio - website design & development | Zeitgeist

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Didn't there used to be a website to vote on this stuff.. part of Pixelate? Wasn't it the AAA (Annual Allegro Awards) or somethign?

Sirocco
Member #88
April 2000

Yeah, it was a waste of time. Like most dysfunctional awards setups few people actually voted and all the awards ended up going to one or two games.

-->
Graphic file formats used to fascinate me, but now I find them rather satanic.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

I'm not sure on most of my stuff, but I think one of my favorite threads had to be this one. :P

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

Well, I'd like a recap of what's been released 2006.
Reviews of new titles and developers that made themselves known.

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Well, too help things along, I'll go through and list nominations for the different categories. That way, people can either vote on what I listed or yell about forgetting someone/somegame.

Can't do it now though. :-/

------------

ngiacomelli
Member #5,114
October 2004

Best thread (or, rather, best reply to a thread) has to go to piccolo for his advice regarding social skills. You know, between free-style rapping, making girls moist with 'sex stares' and replying to questions 'with the speed of a AMD X64'.

I mean, the whole thread was pretty terrible, but that just made my year.

kentl
Member #2,905
November 2002

I would skip "Most Annoying Person" and "Worst Game" as they might make someone feel bad, and I don't see the point in having them. I vote Neon Wars in the "Best New Game" category. You could probably skip a lot of the other categories as well, there might be too much to vote on if you don't.

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Quote:

I would skip "Most Annoying Person" and "Worst Game" as they might make someone feel bad

Good point, I guess I got too EGM-ish. I'll probably take them down.

As for the best thread, I'm definitely thinking of the World Cup thread, the Chess thread (even if started in '05, it was still going strong in '06) and possibly the ChristmasHack thread. Like I said, I'll compile a better list when I have more time.

------------

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

I was thinking of the Chess thread, but then I found the other one I posted instead.

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

you can't have 'best new game added to the depot 06', it takes at least 2 years to get one added ;)

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Kibiz0r
Member #6,203
September 2005

I'll take Most Annoying Person if you're just going to get rid of it.

Hmm... when awards turn into garage sales...

Andrei Ellman
Member #3,434
April 2003

Best thread: 'Phipps day'. This was the day when we all changed our Avatars to be some variation of Richard's. In fact, it was so much fun that it spilled over into another thread.

Best game: Neon Wars.

AE.

--
Don't let the illegitimates turn you into carbon.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I vote Priority: Survive for Best Game
(sorry Richard)

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

I'm going to be very disappointed if I don't win Most Annoying, Most Helpful, Weirdest, and Most Influential.

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Mark: I think PS is the hottest candidate for Best Update.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Epsi
Member #5,731
April 2005

I vote piccolo and his "The Game" for every category.

piccolo: "soon all new 2d alegro games will be better. after i finsh my MMRPG. my game will serve as a code reference. so you can understand and grab code from."
piccolo: "just wait until my invetion comes out its going to take the wii to the next leave of game play. it will run sony and microsoft out of busness if i dont let them use it aswell."

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

X-G: You've been far less visible this last 6 months or so. That may count against you in the voting.. ;)

kentl
Member #2,905
November 2002

Quote:

X-G: You've been far less visible this last 6 months or so. That may count against you in the voting.. ;)

Gold and diamonds aren't very common either. It makes you appreciate them more. ;)

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

Do I get to defend my Zoidcom profet title?

Rampage
Member #3,035
December 2002

Quote:

I was thinking of the Chess thread

That thread was created in 2005.

-R

Sirocco
Member #88
April 2000

Quote:

Gold and diamonds aren't very common either. It makes you appreciate them more.

Conversely, I contract the flu and get to enjoy a rousing bout of rectal vomiting about once every five years. In that case absence does not make the heart grow fonder.

-->
Graphic file formats used to fascinate me, but now I find them rather satanic.

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Rampage said:

That thread was created in 2005.

me said:

the Chess thread (even if started in '05, it was still going strong in '06)

;)

[edit]

Quote:

In that case absence does not make the heart grow fonder.

I don't know, I sure could enjoy another rectal vomit.

------------

Kauhiz
Member #4,798
July 2004

Quote:

In that case absence does not make the heart grow fonder.

So essentially you're comparing X-G's posts to rectal vomit?

---
It's Ridge Racer! RIIIIIDGE RAAAAACER!

1   2 

Go to: