Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Is anyone interested in my engine source?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Is anyone interested in my engine source?
Flecko
Member #566
August 2000

This is sort of a weird post for me. I've never released a completed game, nor a single stitch of source code to the public, despite all my years of toiling. So....

I have, sitting on my hard drive, an engine that I wrote from scratch for a competition at shmup-dev.com last year. Its a 2D, side-scrolling shoot-em up engine written in C++ using SDL(*gasp*) for graphics and audio(hey, I'd never tried it, and wanted to take a stab...I still love Allegro.) The engine is feature complete(as complete as I had wanted it to be,) bug free, and cross platform for win32 and linux(I never had access to a Mac to test it out but it should theoretically work fine.) I have enough art assets to make 1 level of gameplay, and minimal audio snippets to make it work. I even have a rudimentary particle system in place...and cutscenes(sort of...they're just bitmaps with text generated by the game over top of them.)

Here's the tricky part. I only ever wrote a test level for it to make sure my AI, boss, and everything else worked. When it got down to the deadline for the competition, I had other things going on in real life(I was getting married) so I never got time to write music, record decent sound effects, or finish writing a complete level. (The rules of the competition were that you had to have at least 1 level and 1 boss.) The map format is straight up text files. I even have my code documented with a diagram so that if anyone wants to make additions, they can.

Here is a screenshot of the last build:
{"name":"cloudshot1.gif","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/4\/448d7bdb651f48e041f180c7eff3ccde.gif","w":640,"h":480,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/4\/448d7bdb651f48e041f180c7eff3ccde"}cloudshot1.gif

EDIT: Thanks Lenny!

Now on to the serious part of the post. Is anyone here interested in the code? Hell, I'll throw in all the artwork as well. I originally planned on releasing it under the LGPL, but at this point, the code/graphics are giftware for whomever wants it. I probably won't be able to package it up until Saturday or Sunday, but I'm tired of having perfectly good code sit and rot on my hard drive especially since I worked so hard on it.

Now that you're interest is piqued, here are the features:
- 2D sidescrolling engine with unlimited layers and parallax scrolling.
- simple, well documented, text file map format(tedious to edit, but easy to use)
- particle engine for explosions
- 2D collision detection for all sprites(no sprite<-->map collisions though)
- cutscenes implemented(not in a script, they're hard-coded)
- audio engine completely in place(just need wav's and mp3's to finish it)
- keyboard input only at the moment(I never wrote the configurable input system)

There isn't anything stopping anyone from changing the SDL code to Allegro, I've written it very modularly. All of the calls to graphics and audio functions are nicely wrapped up in classes.

Anyways...let me know if anyone is interested!
Thanks!
-Flecko

ben's drivel
A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer. This message brought to you by Old Kentucky Shark of Kentucky Nightmare Whiskey Co.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Quote:

EDIT: When did the ability to link images go away?

It hasn't:

{"name":"cloudshot1.gif","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/4\/448d7bdb651f48e041f180c7eff3ccde.gif","w":640,"h":480,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/4\/448d7bdb651f48e041f180c7eff3ccde"}cloudshot1.gif

Quote:

And where is the mockup code link?

It's been replaced with the "Help" link in the top of the text-box:

{"name":"590861","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/7\/27c971b85b71451d89ffaf379c4a3ddb.jpg","w":917,"h":98,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/7\/27c971b85b71451d89ffaf379c4a3ddb"}590861

Flecko
Member #566
August 2000

Well...Merry Christmas!

Here is the page on my site with all the downloads and whatnot. I even included a Dia class diagram to make the code easier to understand. I really hope someone finds this useful! As I said, its the first time I've ever released ANYTHING, so I'm fairly excited, even if it is insignificant.

Just add some music, decent soundfx, and edit the level file, and you've got a game. Let me know if anyone gets any use out of it.

Happy Holidays!
-Flecko

ben's drivel
A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer. This message brought to you by Old Kentucky Shark of Kentucky Nightmare Whiskey Co.

Go to: