Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Leaving A.cc and #allegro

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Leaving A.cc and #allegro
Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Quote:

On the subject of ML's stories, if the student was told to read the dictionary but didn't know what a dictionary is or where to find it he would still end up commiting suicide.

The dictionary is sitting right in front of him. He deserves to die then.

Erkle
Member #3,493
May 2003

But he's never been taught what a dictionary is.

If the writing above has offended you, you've read it wrong.....fool.
And if you read that wrong it means 'All of the above is opinion and is only to be treated as such.'

wearetheborg
Queen of the Universe
June 2003

Why are you still here?? ???

Erkle
Member #3,493
May 2003

I haven't left this thread yet. I have left the rest of A.cc. And besides I may still stick around just to encourage/protect the noobs.

If the writing above has offended you, you've read it wrong.....fool.
And if you read that wrong it means 'All of the above is opinion and is only to be treated as such.'

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

R0FL; I feel loved. :P And for the record, I'm still a'codin'. It's just (mostly) messing with stuff like Irrlicht and writing little games and programs for the kids in my Sunday School class since I'm still low on free time.

And no, TMS ain't dead yet ...

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Quote:

But he's never been taught what a dictionary is.

He just unquestioningly carries it to school every day and leaves it on his desk without knowing what it is?

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

On the subject of ML's stories, if the student was told to read the dictionary but didn't know what a dictionary is or where to find it he would still end up commiting suicide.

That's why you don't say `read the dictionary', but you show him the dictionary and show him what part to read. He should pick it up from there. If he doesn't pick it up after a while and doesn't learn to use his dictionary, he probably shouldn't be persuing something that requires it, and move on to other interests.

Quote:

And besides I may still stick around just to encourage/protect the noobs.

I still challenge you to find links to concrete threads that show that new posters get abused systematically.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Quote:

I still challenge you to find links to concrete threads that show that new posters get abused systematically

I doubt he can, or he would have done so when I asked him to and the first time you did.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

He left the rest of a.cc, so he can't. :-/

Torbjörn Josefsson
Member #1,048
September 2000

On a positive note: Sprinkling some semsame oil and sea salt on lightly boiled veggies tastes totally great!

--
Specialization is for insects

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

On the subject of ML's stories:
The dictionary metaphor is OK. The book one isn't.

If a book is written in such a poor style that reading the first page puts me to sleep, it doesn't deserve my attention.
If a book needs a flashy cover to catch my attention, it is likely to be written in such a poor style that reading the first page puts me to sleep.
A really really good book, though, is written in such a style that the first sentence alone makes you want to read the entire book, without interruption. Vladimir Nabokov, for instance, is a master of that art.

[edit]
Oh yeah, almost forgot:
Deraileee-Ho!

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

PaperStack
Member #7,796
September 2006

Quote:

I still challenge you to find links to concrete threads that show that new posters get abused systematically.

You haven't abused me... yet. :D

Quote:

Sprinkling some semsame oil and sea salt on lightly boiled veggies tastes totally great!

Olive oil is better in my opinion. ;)

Yes, no, maybe?

kentl
Member #2,905
November 2002

Quote:

You haven't abused me... yet. :D

Who are you? RTFM! ;)

HoHo
Member #4,534
April 2004

Quote:

A really really good book, though, is written in such a style that the first sentence alone makes you want to read the entire book, without interruption.

I guess you will never read the Dune books then. The one I red had an introduction that was around 300 pages long :P

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Quote:

You haven't abused me... yet.

You're not worthy of abuse... n00b!

PaperStack
Member #7,796
September 2006

Quote:

Who are you? RTFM! ;)

There we go! Yes... Thank you for the advice. :P

I knew as soon as I wrote that that I was setting myself up. I love it! :D

Yes, no, maybe?

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Dennis: I know, that's why I was saying BIG comeback. Well I guess I still haven't learned how to express sarcasm/irony in english. Time to die...

By the way:

Winston Smith said:

I understand HOW (are noobs discouraged): I do not understand why.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

I knew as soon as I wrote that that I was setting myself up. I love it!

Masochist.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Quote:

Well I guess I still haven't learned how to express sarcasm/irony in english.

It would probably have worked had it been spoken. That form of sarcasm is hard to detect when written down however. Using smilies can make it more obvious.

miran
Member #2,407
June 2002

Smileys are for noobs.

--
sig used to be here

PaperStack
Member #7,796
September 2006

Quote:

Masochist.

I'm just saying that I can withstand a little abuse for starters. How did most the leaders (or whatever you want to call them) of A.cc get where they are now? They started off as "noobs" and perhaps endured a few insults for a while until they could show that they were "in for the long haul." :) <-- Smilie

Yes, no, maybe?

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Quote:

Smileys are for noobs.

Good thing I said smilies then.

Hard Rock
Member #1,547
September 2001

Quote:

That form of sarcasm is hard to detect when written down however. Using smilies can make it more obvious.

Case in point:

Quote:

Smileys are for noobs.

Observe the difference

Quote:

Smileys are for noobs. ;)

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

How did most the leaders (or whatever you want to call them) of A.cc get where they are now? They started off as "noobs" and perhaps endured a few insults for a while until they could show that they were "in for the long haul."

Actually, when I was a newbie... we didn't have internet. When I started posting here I was already familiar with both C and Allegro (though obviously not as familiar as I am now)... so in a sense, I was never a noob.

;)

Go to: