Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Leaving A.cc and #allegro

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Leaving A.cc and #allegro
BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

So long... and thanks for all the..... bah you didn't give me any fish.

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

Quote:

No, he just made a new account, tried to pose as his friend but then dropped the ball, abandoned the new account and renamed his old account.

That's not fair, I tried to create an account one time to pose as that ironbob kid (ironboob), but Matthew sent me a nasty email saying NOT to do that. I thought he meant I couldn't make a duplicate account, maybe he meant I shouldn't be poking fun at a 13 year old.... ???

Jakub Wasilewski
Member #3,653
June 2003

Quote:

As we said at Wikipedia, he has the right to leave anytime, although he will be back

So, according to these articles, we behaved in the worst possible way. Oh, well.

---------------------------
[ ChristmasHack! | My games ] :::: One CSS to style them all, One Javascript to script them, / One HTML to bring them all and in the browser bind them / In the Land of Fantasy where Standards mean something.

kentl
Member #2,905
November 2002

You seem to think that NSND is very hard to fulfill. If you can create a game I'm sure you will be able to get a screenshot of it. You want your game to look its best right? RTFM with a ;) and a point to the manual can't be considered to be rude either. But they are only the appropriate answer for very simple questions.

Good luck in the future! Bye.

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

According to the second link that ReyBrujo gave, all replies given and also those not given to this thread are "wrong" and that some sort of brutal war is coming. Interesting but I hope that this war will be fought in a civilized way here without too many personal attacks.

About NSND and RTFM:
I think both are reasonable but it's also important to stay polite when pointing out either to someone who is new. It has to be made obvious that saying "NSND" to someone isn't meant to punish that someone for doing something wrong but that it is meant to help him/her to reach a greater audience.
"RTFM" should (if at all) always be presented with a link to the specific topic that might be of any help. I also think that directly saying "RTFM" is a bit rude and that it is better to use phrases like: "This piece of information here(link) should help" or "you might take a look at this(link)".

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

I must admit that it can be frustrating for a newbee if he gets "RTFM", remember we were all newbees at some point. But on the other hand I agree with most of you that that is why there's manual, it took me a damn long time before I got to know that there's manual. Since then I didn't asked for Allegro specific function anymore. Also there's a search function.

As for the "NSND", I must admit that I don't often test some games, but if I do so a screenshot is very helpful to get myself prepared for what I should expect. Anyway I tested some games without a screenshot, but I gave a note to originator to post it.

Anyway bye DeathGauge, I didn't know you well but "May the force be with you".

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Mr. Big
Member #6,196
September 2005

It's not about the NSND or RTFM.
He just thinks that somebody will feel sorry for him and ask him to come back.
Taking him seriously only encourages this immature behaviour.
And besides, RTFM?
OMFGWTFMTFBBQ?!
He's here since 2001, for god's sake.

miran
Member #2,407
June 2002

Quote:

remember we were all newbees at some point

Speak for yourself. I was never a newbe. I was born with all the knowledge and wisdom there is in the universe. Want proof? Here you go: 42! :)

--
sig used to be here

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Heh, it's hard to tell if he's serious or not when he haven't posted since the first post. Also I gave a my opinion on the topic, which is not suprisingly different from the majority.

"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Quote:

I must admit that it can be frustrating for a newbee if he gets "RTFM", remember we were all newbees at some point.

How often do you see "RTFM" given as an answer to a first-time (or extremely new) poster however?* It's usually reserved for people who have already been told where to find the answer to such questions.

• Yes it does happen sometimes, though the fact that it doesn't happen more often would tend to indicate that in the times it does happen, there is probably some external source of frustration for the person who wrote "RTFM", whether it be tiredness, general stress, or a sudden rash of questions by different posters that could have been answered had they read the menual.

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Well, I don't know much circumstances, because I seldom post in programming questions, what you're saying sounds reasonable.

Miran: but do you also know a question to that answer? Heh? C'mon, say it, say it.

Rampage
Member #3,035
December 2002

Meh. He'll be back with some fake name, telling lies about his incredible knowledge of all things Allegro, his upcoming MMOOMGWTFBBQ or how he had a friend called "Death Gauge" who just left in anger because everyone here was horrible to him.

I think his impact on this community is better expressed by this post:

CursedTyrant said:

Who was he, anyway?

-R

miran
Member #2,407
June 2002

Quote:

but do you also know a question to that answer?

That's not important. What matters is the Answer! :P

--
sig used to be here

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Quote:

Miran: but do you also know a question to that answer?

I know it's not THE question, but: How many trees must fall over in a forest before you can hear the sound of one hand clapping?

kentl
Member #2,905
November 2002

Quote:

How many trees must fall over in a forest before you can hear the sound of one hand clapping?

Most likely impossible to tell. We would need to find archaeological evidence of when the first sound of one hand clapping was heard. And when the first tree did fall. Then we need to find a correlation between the two.

Hard Rock
Member #1,547
September 2001

What I want to know is how the hell I can visit this forum everday and totally miss the linked posts!

In any case, I present to you, the Allegro.cc soap opera!

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Quote:

In any case, I present to you, the Allegro.cc soap opera!

Now that's a nice and fresh view to the war.8-)

Jakub Wasilewski
Member #3,653
June 2003

Quote:

I was never a newbe. I was born with all the knowledge and wisdom there is in the universe. Want proof? Here you go: 42!

All hail miran, who apparently read HHGTTG while still in the womb :).

I'm wondering what his next name will be. Harbinger ZERO, Death Gauge... maybe Massacre 2000?

---------------------------
[ ChristmasHack! | My games ] :::: One CSS to style them all, One Javascript to script them, / One HTML to bring them all and in the browser bind them / In the Land of Fantasy where Standards mean something.

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Meatball Wiki: GoodBye said:

A GoodBye is a harbinger for brutal violence.

NSND is bad. "Sell the game: show us a screen shot!" is good. NSND is good if the problem persists.

RTFM is bad. "You should be able to find answers to questions like this in the manual" is good. RTFM is good if the problem persists.

Death Gauge is an important person with a lot of links in the gaming industry and a lot of valuable opinions to give. It also took him years of filling bookshelves and burning all the best libraries (including DUMB, bless him) to CDs over and over again, to write Pong. On the other hand, he's very humble, and that's why we'll be sad to see him go.

Bye :'(

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

The above post courtesy of Bizarro World.

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

Rampage
Member #3,035
December 2002

Wasn't the first post emo enough?

-R

manjula
Member #3,569
June 2003

awkwardnd2.gif

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

:'( Look at this. One man leaving has brought the community together for 2 pages already. :'( It's so beautiful. I love you guys! Group hug. :D

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

Now THAT was an awkward sexual advance.... :-[

kentl
Member #2,905
November 2002

Todays biology lession: Hugs != Sex ;)

Go to: