Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Throws a phoenix on the ground, stomps on it .... also done!

BTW, Clayton, go write a game or something, kthx.

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Quote:

yesterday was always better than today.

Yes but worse than the day before yesterday.

Matthew said:

So a student named Al has a dictionary on his desk, and he asks...

That was such a nice story. I slept so well after reading it. Actually, only after two lines of it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

I will just say...

No I will not.

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

CGames & 23: don't do this again, I thought I'm going to die from laugh ;D

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

Well, I said it funnily, but 23, I think, was a great thing for this community. He was at the forums so much that he could get the first reply on many threads, and was always very helpful and nice in his reponses.

In turn, the people being helped learn that the community is a friendly, helpful place. When they get "RTFM", even with a link, they learn that this is the kind of thing we want to give to each other (as entheh said: linking to the manual is fine; linking with "RTFM" is not).

In the "The Next 23yrold3yrold" elections, ReyBrujo is winning. I try to answer nicely, too, and I have a WWCBD? sticker on my monitor.

--
Tomasu: Every time you read this: hugging!

Ryan Patterson - <http://cgamesplay.com/>

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

CGamesPlay said:

I have a WWCBD? sticker on my monitor.

As a Christian is it a sin (that is, are you in sin) if YOU are the Idol that's being worshiped?

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Rampage
Member #3,035
December 2002

Quote:

WWCBD

Why, spam of course!

-R

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

The ones you want to see are the ones that leave (?) without saying anything. Where's Spellcaster?

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

ReyBrujo
January 2001

I, the next 23? Geez, and I though I was innactive enough to lose the elections :(

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」
Mitsuko's last words, Battle Royale

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

Quote:

The ones you want to see are the ones that leave (?) without saying anything. Where's Spellcaster?

I'd just like to put it out there that if I don't respond to someone's goodbye thread, it doesn't mean I don't care... I just don't have anything to say :) Dennis Busch is the most recent good-bye thread that I haven't posted to (he is back now).

Quote:

I, the next 23? Geez, and I though I was innactive enough to lose the elections :(

The problem is that you are too nice. You can be less active, but if you really want to lose the election, just start insulting newbies' mothers.

[append]

where you said:

dynamic_cast, if you cast to a derived type, and returns NULL, it is not, if it returns a valid pointer, in example, if (dynamic_cast<SON1 *>(son_pointer) != NULL) (in this case, son_pointer is type SON1. Or, you can use typeid, in example, if (typeid(son_pointer) == typeid(SON1 *)) (then, son_pointer is of type SON1). Note that typeid is about twice as slow as dynamic_cast.

I suggest using the GetType() approach you mentioned, as it is much faster. If you were doing it correctly, you wouldn't need to know the type of a pointer.

you could have said:

--

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

NSND, although good in principle, is propably best reserved for allegro regulars. For newbies it is probably better to give the message a little less harshly.

ReyBrujo
January 2001

Well, truth be told, the NSND is now much easier to do with A.cc attachment/cache feature. You actually don't even need the attachment once the image has been cached.

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

I must admit that this is the best community I have ever contributed to. I think that those RTFM and NSND are well known among us, and we treat it like a good joke. But for a newbee or an outsider this can be somewhat rude.

"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

CGamesPlay said:

I'd just like to put it out there that if I don't respond to someone's goodbye thread, it doesn't mean I don't care... I just don't have anything to say :) Dennis Busch is the most recent good-bye thread that I haven't posted to (he is back now).

Oh you did reply to it. Just to make sure that this isn't understood wrong by those who don't know the backgrounds: My "goodbye"-thread was in fact just a "see you later"-thread without any sort of "hate you all I'm leaving" type of content.8-)

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

I think we all know it, but it's good to remember that you had told goodbye just make new BIG comeback ;)

Heh, it didn't took long and this thread has been derailed.

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

Quote:

Oh you did reply to it.

Oh, well I must not have responded to your "hi I'm back" thread :)

--

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

But you did, also in the second one.:)

OICW said:

..BIG comeback..Heh, it didn't took long and this thread has been derailed.

Not sure what you mean there. I'd understand a BIG comeback as something like reentering the forums after a long absence with some kickass new game under ones belt.(My absence wasn't that long and I didn't have anything to show upon coming back, just changes in my life and nothing gamedevelopment related.) But yes, enough of the derailment and back on track.

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

You all are missing the point. The point is to scare away as many noobs as possible into regression. Less competition for the gaming jobs.

RTFM and NSND dishearten noobs, they're the building blocks of scaring them away.

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

I remember thinking to myself "I am not going to bother to post in that thread" when talking about one of them. Meh, who knows :)

--

ReyBrujo
January 2001

Quote:

The point is to scare away as many noobs as possible into regression.

Hmm... I have heard something similar before... if we replace players with members... game with post... genre with forum... and we add the NSND and RTFM in the middle... let's see...

Quote:

As the less hardcore players members burn out on the game post mechanics of their favorite genres forums, they too are at risk of leaving the game market. The result is a steady erosion of the genre’s forum's population.

What is left is a very peculiar group of highly purified hardcore players members. They demand rigorous standardization of game mechanics (NSND, RTFM) and have highly refined criteria for judging the quality of their titles. With each generation of titles in the genre forum, they weed out a few more of the weaker players members.

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

The grass is always greener on the other side.

Erkle
Member #3,493
May 2003

Quote:

I must admit that this is the best community I have ever contributed to. I think that those RTFM and NSND are well known among us, and we treat it like a good joke. But for a newbee or an outsider this can be somewhat rude.

Exactly what I was trying to say. Unfortunately I'm a complete geek so communication is not my strong point.

I would be perfectly happy with NSND and RTFM as a reply to me but I just get annoyed with seeing noobs getting mistreated all over the internet. They aren't a specific breed of human that are naturally idiots they are normal people who may even be more intelligent than you or me. Its the fact that I care about A.cc that makes me despair when I see the usual crap appairing in what is otherwise a brilliant community.

Allegro has clearly been design entirely to be noob friendly so the forums should reflect this. For the most part they do.

EDIT: On the subject of ML's stories, if the student was told to read the dictionary but didn't know what a dictionary is or where to find it he would still end up commiting suicide.

If the writing above has offended you, you've read it wrong.....fool.
And if you read that wrong it means 'All of the above is opinion and is only to be treated as such.'

wearetheborg
Queen of the Universe
June 2003

Not gone yet?? :o

Go to: