Leaving A.cc and #allegro
Jakub Wasilewski
Member #3,653
June 2003

Quote:

Todays biology lession: Hugs != Sex

My childhood was a lie!

---------------------------
[ ChristmasHack! | My games ] :::: One CSS to style them all, One Javascript to script them, / One HTML to bring them all and in the browser bind them / In the Land of Fantasy where Standards mean something.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Quote:

My childhood was a lie!

Indeed! I thought that when mummies and daddies loved each other very much, they gave each other a special kind of hug...

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

Group hugs are what the 60's were all about....:o

Erkle
Member #3,493
May 2003

IMHO any post that doesn't contribute something useful isn't worth posting at all. Instead of posting NSND why not just simply not download the program, its kinda pointless posting to say you are one of the 7 billion people who aren't downloading it.

RTFM is inflammatory and cruel, wouldn't RTM be a bit more civil. Swearing in abbreviation is just the same as swearing in full, especially since a lot of us have already said we read abbreviations in full.

I guess it just comes down to the fact that noob-bashing makes you popular on A.cc. Over the past couple of years I've noticed a trend toward pseudo-pop-culture which basically consists of a bunch of Geeks, Freaks and Nerds calling each other noobs/idiots.

A.cc used to be a place where anybody could express there opinion/help/project without danger of negative comments. Every noob that you flame is another possibly brilliant programmer that will never come to pass, or worse, they may switch to SDL.

In conclusion, I think I might just be joining Death Gauge. I think I'll keep a reading the threads just so I can follow NSND with No Help No Post.

Bye! :P

P.S. There are still a few good people left on this forum. It's up to you to extinguish the flamers.

EDIT: Its funny that somebody can post a legitimate complaint only to be followed by over a page of examples of that complaint.

If the writing above has offended you, you've read it wrong.....fool.
And if you read that wrong it means 'All of the above is opinion and is only to be treated as such.'

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

Quote:

Todays biology lession: Hugs != Sex

Unless you're naked.

Quote:

Instead of posting NSND why not just simply not download the program, its kinda pointless posting to say you are one of the 7 billion people who aren't downloading it.

In this case NSND is informative; instructing the OP to post a screenshot so that others will download and review the application.

Quote:

RTFM is inflammatory and cruel, wouldn't RTM be a bit more civil.

Fuck! Only if you motherfuckers take every fucking shitty thing fucking seriously. Don't be fucking bitches. Nigga.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

{"name":"590236","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/7\/d79d638b124ac464010094b643cf6e2b.png","w":800,"h":600,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/7\/d79d638b124ac464010094b643cf6e2b"}590236

There's the door. Boohoo, yesterday was always better than today.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Quote:

IMHO any post that doesn't contribute something useful isn't worth posting at all. Instead of posting NSND why not just simply not download the program, its kinda pointless posting to say you are one of the 7 billion people who aren't downloading it.

While I'm not trying to defend a simple "NSND" post, at least they let the person know why their game isnt being downloaded.

Quote:

I guess it just comes down to the fact that noob-bashing makes you popular on A.cc. Over the past couple of years I've noticed a trend toward pseudo-pop-culture which basically consists of a bunch of Geeks, Freaks and Nerds calling each other noobs/idiots.

Oh come on, it's very rare here compared to other forums. And, as I've already said earlier in this thread, this is usually reserved for the newcomers who consistantly ignore the advice they are given.

If you want to see rude, obnoxious posting, check out the Kohan forums from 2-4 years ago (they're probably still just as bad, but I don't frequent them any more). There, a first time poster asking a question would often be met with "fuck off n00b/who the fuck are you?/ha ha loser n00b".

Quote:

Every noob that you flame is another possibly brilliant programmer that will never come to pass, or worse, they may switch to SDL.

See if you can find five incidents of a newcomer being flamed in the month, or couple of months. Unless you consider NSND/RTFM to be flames, which I personally don't.

Quote:

EDIT: Its funny that somebody can post a legitimate complaint only to be followed by over a page of examples of that complaint.

I take it you mean sarcastic farewlls are rude? Maybe, but they come from people who don't like DG (with or without good reason). Are you trying to imply you're such a saint that you're never impolite to people you do not like? We're not all that perfect.

Erkle
Member #3,493
May 2003

Quote:

Fuck! Only if you motherfuckers take every fucking shitty thing fucking seriously. Don't be fucking bitches. Nigga.

Noobs take everything seriously fucktard.

And if you read that wrong it means 'All of the above is opinion and is only to be treated as such.'

Mokkan
Member #4,355
February 2004

Matthew said:

There's the door. Boohoo, yesterday was always better than today.

Basically ;D. That's close to what I was thinking.

A.cc isn't bad at all. Complaining about NSND is just... wow. :P

SonShadowCat
Member #1,548
September 2001

In the end it doesn't matter. We're all expendable( save from a few of you) so someone leaving isn't something to waste emotions over.

Erkle
Member #3,493
May 2003

To Death Guage: I think they are trying to say, you are better off staying and spamming the shit out of them.

Quote:

A.cc isn't bad at all.

And that statement is probably what is making A.cc turn bad. Those who believe they can do no wrong are usually the root of the problem.

SonShadowCat
Member #1,548
September 2001

That would only make you look bad(worse) and result in a ban( or exactly the same things you're angry over, except you're the cause of it).

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

So a student named Al has a dictionary on his desk, and he asks his teacher what "annoying" means. She tells him the answer, because she knows he will cry like a little baby if she doesn't spoon feed him. So when Al is at home, he takes out his homework. He doesn't know what some words mean. But no one is there to tell him. He doesn't do his homework, he fails his class, falls behind, drops out of school, and turns into a drug addict.

Meanwhile in another world, student Bobby has a dictionary on his desk. He too asks his teacher what a word means. His teacher, understanding that pointing a young learner in the right direction will help him learn how to solve problems, tells him to open up his dictionary and use it. Bobby figures out the answer himself and feels great. He goes home and eagerly does all his homework. He graduates at the top of his class, goes to the best university in the country and ends up a multi-millionaire.

And somewhere else, in a far away place, some new author is trying to get people to take time out of their day to read his book. Not knowing what it's about, they try reading the first couple pages, but get bored and just walk away. He cries to himself, gets discouraged and commits suicide.

On the next street, another author is giving away some books. But he has pictures that illustrate what the book is about. Interested passersby think it will be worthwhile to take a look and read it. They give the author some feedback, and he goes to bed a happy man.

kazzmir
Member #1,786
December 2001

I definately only read the math books with cool equations written on the cover.

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

If allegro.cc is too tough on its newbies, then good! We are an accurate representation of the entire gaming population, from generous-always-nice posts to I-think-your-momma-is-fat posts to stop-posting-here-you-annoy-me posts.

I got chewed up when I first showed up here and I'll get chewed up everytime I say something stupid or close-minded, serves me right. If you can't take the heat, get out! Otherwise, better yourself.

And, see ya later, allegrogater!

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Carrus85
Member #2,633
August 2002

Personally, I think people should take the RTFM and NSND advice for what it is; advice. Reading offense into these two statements in particular is quite immature, especially if there is a reason for the posting of them. Granted, telling someone to Read the fine manual[sic] might not be the nicest way to put it, but it gets the point across.

People just need to stop taking how people say things seriously, and pay attention to the meat of the post. They are telling you Read the fine manual[sic] for a reason! It isn't because you are n00b, or because they hate you, or even because they think you are stupid. It is because rewriting sections of the manual on a forum is a waste of the posters time, and robbing you the opportunity to learn how something works for yourself. Besides, most of the time, the manual tends to be a great deal more accurate and complete about certain issues than rewriting portions of it from memory could ever be.

In short, if you come here and ask something that is written down in the manual, it is to everyone's advantage to tell you to read said manual. If you come here with another question (like, say, Why doesn't X work? (where X is something not mentioned in the manual)), most, if not all, of us would be willing to help.

Please, some people just need to grow up and not take some of this crap so seriously.

Eradicor
Member #2,992
December 2002

Damn. After reading all of this i gotta say, i havent had so much fun at allegro.cc since the days of Owet. :D

But to the matter at hand. I remember once working something with Harbinger. Or aiding him.. or he aiding me. Cant remember the details. He seemed nice fella. Dont remember much tho. And i might completely be wrong about the person. Might have been someone else.

But about the Noobishnes thingy. Since i just a while ago hit to the Blender community seeking for all kinds of answers. People there seem to be VERY helpful. I dont remember seeing anything like that here. And after the help of very openminded persons i managed to actually learn Blender somewhat.

But someone said (Matthew i think) in that teacher example that the teacher should point the student to the source of all information instead of giving him/her it directly. I agree. Its maybe hard, but its the most rewarding way for the student to do it.

I have had my part of the Gauge's experience (Owetian days) and yeah. I was quite a retard back then. I think it was kinda very educative age. After years i am still here. Even tho i dont much really do games anymore.

| Visit The site |
{Creating realms from dreams since 1995}

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

We are an accurate representation of the entire gaming population

Dear god, I hope not! :P

Anyway, to people complaining about new users being maltreated: can you post some links indicating that this is a structural problem? Quite frankly, I don't see where you're getting that impression, because I'm sure not seeing that in the threads I happen to read (which isn't all, but a reasonable fraction of the programming and setup threads anyway).

Epsi
Member #5,731
April 2005

Am I the only one waiting for piccolo's word of advice ?

piccolo: "soon all new 2d alegro games will be better. after i finsh my MMRPG. my game will serve as a code reference. so you can understand and grab code from."
piccolo: "just wait until my invetion comes out its going to take the wii to the next leave of game play. it will run sony and microsoft out of busness if i dont let them use it aswell."

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

We'll all be first against the wall when the revolution comes!

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

No, the marketing division of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation will be the first against the wall when the revolution comes.

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

We are the marketing division of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation! Don't you remember? ;)

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

Quote:

Am I the only one waiting for piccolo's word of advice ?

Try my awesome MMORPG! ? ;D

[FMC Studios] - [Caries Field] - [Ctris] - [Pman] - [Chess for allegroites]
Written laws are like spiders' webs, and will, like them, only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful will easily break through them. -Anacharsis
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

I remember a time when everyone would have blamed X-G for this, as all his gripes are X-G's standard replies to people ;)

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

Save us, Chris Barry!

--
Tomasu: Every time you read this: hugging!

Ryan Patterson - <http://cgamesplay.com/>

Go to: