Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Leaving A.cc and #allegro

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Leaving A.cc and #allegro
Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Ever since I joined the allegro community I've watched it turn into something I just couldn't stand. We have RTFM, no screenshot, no download!, and IRC always seems to be dead when I join it. I used to watch people download and play games without having pics with no complaints. Now the only way people will give a noob the time of day is if they learn their programming language of choice, learn allegro, and then add a screenshot function to it so they can (on top of programming the program to begin with) also provide pics to suade you to play and test a game they could have worked minutes or days to finish and get to the point where they are comfotable showing it off to just be met with No Screenshot! No donwload! on every game. This is why I've decided that I'm leaving both this site and IRC.

Been fun!

Bye!

Marcello
Member #1,860
January 2002

Bye!

ixilom
Member #7,167
April 2006

Bye!

SonShadowCat
Member #1,548
September 2001

Allegro will be the same without you. Ciao!

Number Six
Member #3,912
October 2003

Oh well! If you ever manage to find that Utopian Community where everybody is absolutely faultless, let us know eh?

Meanwhile, Does he have a point?

---------------------------------------
By Hook or by Crook.... We WILL!

ixilom
Member #7,167
April 2006

I'm still a bit drunk/tipsy ... but I doube he has a point :P

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

I would say 'bye' but he has left.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

Bye?

[FMC Studios] - [Caries Field] - [Ctris] - [Pman] - [Chess for allegroites]
Written laws are like spiders' webs, and will, like them, only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful will easily break through them. -Anacharsis
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

jhuuskon
Member #302
April 2000

Bye, don't hurry back!

You don't deserve my sig.

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Bye.

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

I don't see the problem with NSND. If the coder can't take the time to post a screenshot, why should we take the time to play his/her game? Why should we go out of our way to play his game? He should be going out of his way to make sure we play it not the other way around. Why? Because more often then not it is he who will take the most pleasure out of it. Unless it's a particularly entertaining game the reviewer gets the short end of the deal.

And people really should RTFM. It's a lot faster than making on post on a forum and sitting around doing nothing. I get more done when I don't post programming questions here (even complex ones). Not to say that a post with only "RTFM" isn't rude, but its point is valid.

Anywho! No real point to sayin' any of that :P Bye!

miran
Member #2,407
June 2002

Bye!

--
sig used to be here

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Don't forget your hat.

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

CursedTyrant
Member #7,080
April 2006

Bye!

Who was he, anyway?

---------
Signature.
----
[My Website] | [My YouTube Channel]

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Didn't you leave a few years ago already?

As for RTFM posts, I've made a fair deal of posts that simply link to the relevant section of the manual (usually omitting RTFM, though I know I've added that with a ;) a few times). It's usually just a question of people not beingaware that there is a manual, or they can't find the relevant function - which is fine, because we can point it out. I personally don't see much point in explaining again what's already explained in the manual.
Think of it this way: a lot of time and effort goes into writing and maintaining the manual. It is only reasonable if someone then takes the time to read it, don't you agree?

miran
Member #2,407
June 2002

I don't see what the problem with RTFM posts is. The manual is there for a reason and that reason is to be read by users. I often write RTFM posts and more often than not people they are directed at appreciate them. I wrote one as recently as yesterday.

--
sig used to be here

ngiacomelli
Member #5,114
October 2004

I've been here for a while now, and I must admit, at first I was rather insulted when I posted for help and was either told 'RTFM' or linked to a piece of documentation. I think there's a fine line. If they are talking about an Allegro related problem, I think it's perfectly acceptable to link them to the manual. Sure, RTFM is a little 'sharp', but I think it's become so common that it's usually taken as a light hearted joke, now.

People like miran, X-G and Marcello are usually pretty terrifying to new people. But they're also extremely knowledgeable, as are many on this board. I think getting a couple of RTFM's and a few links to documentation has helped me! There's nothing like the rush of solving a problem on your own.

As for NSND: would you buy clothes without seeing them first?

jhuuskon
Member #302
April 2000

No, he just made a new account, tried to pose as his friend but then dropped the ball, abandoned the new account and renamed his old account.

Never think Finns will ever forget your humiliating moments. That, and envy, is in our DNA. :)

You don't deserve my sig.

Jakub Wasilewski
Member #3,653
June 2003

Have a good trip to somewhere distant.

Yawn... I mean, what is it, the third time? And his arguments are... well, the same sort of arguments I would use to persuade people to use Allegro.cc, because there is less of each of those behaviours than on other sites. Except maybe for NSND, which is a strict, but sensible policy.

---------------------------
[ ChristmasHack! | My games ] :::: One CSS to style them all, One Javascript to script them, / One HTML to bring them all and in the browser bind them / In the Land of Fantasy where Standards mean something.

Epsi
Member #5,731
April 2005

It's always easier to point the finger and whine than to contribute I guess.

Bye.

piccolo: "soon all new 2d alegro games will be better. after i finsh my MMRPG. my game will serve as a code reference. so you can understand and grab code from."
piccolo: "just wait until my invetion comes out its going to take the wii to the next leave of game play. it will run sony and microsoft out of busness if i dont let them use it aswell."

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

Okay, bye. Good luck with the junior college classes.

Anyway, yes, his points were completely unfounded. NSND is perfectly reasonable, as history has shown and this noob was adequeately spoon fed I believe.

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

Jh: Those threads depress me. Lots of promising games that disappeared. :(

Steve Terry
Member #1,989
March 2002

Don't blame the community... blame ... World of Warcraft and it's brainwashing techniques.

Mr. Big
Member #6,196
September 2005

I used to act just like this guy some ten years ago.
People are so similar...
There's really no point in taking any of what he said seriously.

ReyBrujo
January 2001

As we said at Wikipedia, he has the right to leave anytime, although he will be back :)

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」
Mitsuko's last words, Battle Royale

Go to: