Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Move accomplished

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
Move accomplished
jhuuskon
Member #302
April 2000

Rents are like most regularily occurring expenses (phone bill, broadband, etc), de facto, paid monthly in finland.

Besides, $72 is ~56.3e, that'll be 225e/month.

You don't deserve my sig.

miran
Member #2,407
June 2002

Quote:

a 20m^2 room with a shared kitchen, etc

:o That's like two and a half snooker tables. And they want money for that? Here apartments are becoming a big problem and prices and rents are going into the sky, but luckily I live in a very small town where you can get a nice 60+m² flat for 200-250€ a month if you're lucky and a 80m² one for not much more. Also most people here buy their apartments instead of paying rent. Although it's hard to find available flats these days...

--
sig used to be here

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Quote:

Besides, $72 is ~56.3e, that'll be 225e/month.

Did I say American dollars?

Kauhiz
Member #4,798
July 2004

Quote:

$72 is ~56.3e

In USD, yes, but not in NZD ;)

---
It's Ridge Racer! RIIIIIDGE RAAAAACER!

jhuuskon
Member #302
April 2000

In that case, that's cheap. :P

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Quote:

In that case, that's cheap.

Yup. :D

Kauhiz
Member #4,798
July 2004

miran, I think the standard of living is higher/better in Finland, so stuff costs more... Not that I'd like to pay for 20 m2...

---

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Quote:

I think the standard of living is higher/better in Finland

Of course the best thing about Finland (from someone who's never been there) is...

{"name":"589856","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/1\/a18cab756846dafd678d030045c57930.jpg","w":290,"h":900,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/1\/a18cab756846dafd678d030045c57930"}589856

[edit]Weird, I wonder why that image isn't displayed.

miran
Member #2,407
June 2002

Quote:

miran, I think the standard of living is higher/better in Finland, so stuff costs more...

Not so according to the 3 or 4 finns I work with. They say it's quite similar, except that taxes are way higher in Finland (and they're very high here too) so that makes prices go up. Well, actually the average income in Finland is higher than here and some things are the same price, so they are more accessible in Finland, but as they said some things are a lot more expensive too...

--
sig used to be here

Kauhiz
Member #4,798
July 2004

LennyLen, apparently that isn't the best thing about Finland, since Finns go buy booze from Estonia and Germany and stuff

Quote:

some things are a lot more expensive too...

More expensive there? Well, apparently apartments aren't one of those things. Though what LennyLen said about his rent makes it seem like we might just have really expensive housing (since NZ has an even better standard of living than we do AFAIK)

---

miran
Member #2,407
June 2002

Quote:

More expensive there?

No, supposedly some things are a lot more expensive in Finland.

--
sig used to be here

jhuuskon
Member #302
April 2000

No? Really? According to a study a few years ago this is the most expensive country in europe after Switzerland. :)

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Quote:

LennyLen, apparently that isn't the best thing about Finland, since Finns go buy booze from Estonia and Germany and stuff

IIRC, Finlandia vodka is essentially another Finnish vodka that has been rebranded for export. I don't drink straight vodka, so it's much of a muchness to me. I like Finlandia because of the nice bottles, especially if you have the flavoured varieties all in a row on the shelf with lights shining up from underneath. The Wyborowa bottles with the half-twist are my favourite though.

Quote:

Though what LennyLen said about his rent makes it seem like we might just have really expensive housing

Mine is cheap even by NZ standards, but I do believe that in general housing here is cheaper than in most OECD countries.

Quote:

since NZ has an even better standard of living than we do AFAIK

The major exception being our antiquated telecommunications system. I currently pay $55 (27€) a month for a 2Mbit connection with a 10Gb quota. It usually takes me 3 or 4 days to exhaust my 10Gb, after which, I'm throttled to 64Kbits.

Still, things are improving. I remember when we returned to New Zealand about 20 years ago and we were so far behind Europe/North America it wasn't funny. Movies I'd seen already in Canada didn't screen here for at least two years after we got back. I also had to learn how to use a dial-phone, since push-button phones hadn't arrived yet (neither had phones that weren't hardwired into the socket!).

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

Be glad you don't live in England. It's very expensive to rent more than a room here, nevermind an apartment. In fact everything is very expensive here. :'(

Having said that there are lots of places to go out for a drink or a meal, and lots of shops and other social things to do if you have money. :)

Kauhiz
Member #4,798
July 2004

I guess stuff is expensive here, because money is given to people for not working :o

---

jhuuskon
Member #302
April 2000

Quote:

IIRC, Finlandia vodka is essentially another Finnish vodka that has been rebranded for export.

No, it's a derivative, with distinct difference, made for the export market.Introducing the original, the ever-popular Koskenkorva!

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Quote:

I guess stuff is expensive here, because money is given to people for not working

Nope, we have a very well funded welfare system here too. In fact, a friend of mine just celebrated his 13th anniversary of being a dole-bludger, and he's wealthier than I am.

Quote:

No, it's a derivative, with distinct difference, made for the export market.Introducing the original, the ever-popular Koskenkorva!

Ah well, I was close.

Anyway, all connoisseurs know what the best vodka in the world is (I like the Feijoa flavoured, with fresh lime and apple juice):

http://www.42below.com/assets/sm/154/18/42BELOWLowCalorie_web.jpg

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

I saw both pictures.

1   2 

Go to: