Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » getting a life (and a new avatar) \o/

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
getting a life (and a new avatar) \o/
Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Finally after a long and dry period of not knowing what tomorrow will bring, big changes are brought up on their way to enter my life soon. I'll be moving away from my parents home next weekend(15th-16th July), 120km to Hamburg, where my three-year-apprenticeship in software development will start in August. \o/ :) \o/

I'm very excited, because that means I'll have my own, more independent life and that I'll finally grow up, earn my own money(not much but it'll be sufficient for rent and food).;)

So, to celebrate these changes and to temporarily say "Goodbye"(because I don't know yet if/when I'll get Internet at my new home) I decided to make even more changes and got me a new avatar, which is a small cutout of this piece of pixel art, which I made some time ago.

Well, here's my av.history, in case you wonder "who?":
{"name":"avatarhistory_t.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/9\/d98b5d89fd85428dc81ab6e7eefad5c3.png","w":640,"h":80,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/9\/d98b5d89fd85428dc81ab6e7eefad5c3"}avatarhistory_t.png
(also changed my sig a little)

Anyway. Just wanted to announce that. Now feel free to just use this thread as a generic "hey look my new avatar" thread or rant about big changes in your lives.:)

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

Godspeed :)

This really is an important step, i hope it brings you luck.
Keep us updated as soon as you get an internet connection.

[FMC Studios] - [Caries Field] - [Ctris] - [Pman] - [Chess for allegroites]
Written laws are like spiders' webs, and will, like them, only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful will easily break through them. -Anacharsis
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

dudaskank
Member #561
July 2000

Congratulations Dennis!

This will be hard in the start, you know, you will miss your parents, your house, etc... but it's normal.

Good luck in this new stage in your life :)

And for your new avatar... it's strange hehehe...

Toque a balada do amor inabalável, eterna love song de nós dois
Eduardo "Dudaskank"
[ Home Page (ptbr) | Blog (ptbr) | Tetris 1.1 (ptbr) | Resta Um (ptbr) | MJpgAlleg 2.3 ]

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

Hi Dennis,

I have friends in Hamburg and it's a nice city (although big!). There are a lot of different things to do and see and I'm sure you'll have a great time once you make some new friends. Just don't neglect your social life for the work. I think it's just as important personally! Good luck! :D

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

More importantly, don't neglect US for the work.

/me writes this from work ;D

--
Tomasu: Every time you read this: hugging!

Ryan Patterson - <http://cgamesplay.com/>

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

Yes, congratulations! Life is all about change, so it's something everyone has to get used too, and like I always say, making money is COOL!

Felipe Maia
Member #6,190
September 2005

Congratulations. Hope you do well on your own :)

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

FMC said:

This really is an important step, i hope it brings you luck.

Thanks. I hope so too and I'll of course keep you updated. After all, I'd die there without access to internet, so I hope there'll be at least a phone line for emergency dial-up access.;D

dudaskank said:

Congratulations Dennis!
This will be hard in the start, you know, you will miss your parents, your house, etc... but it's normal.

Thanks. Yeah, I'll mostly miss the forest and our cat and probably the silence of the village life.

Richard said:

I have friends in Hamburg and it's a nice city (although big!). There are a lot of different things to do and see and I'm sure you'll have a great time once you make some new friends. Just don't neglect your social life for the work. I think it's just as important personally! Good luck! :D

Big it is indeed. (Thank god, I'll not be located directly in the middle of the city but a bit towards the outside, near one of the last subway stations before the cities borders.) As for neglecting social life, I'm afraid that just that is going to happen, but I hope the working atmosphere will be good, so that's not much of an issue. :) Thank you for the good luck.

CGamesPlay said:

More importantly, don't neglect US for the work.
/me writes this from work ;D

Hehe, I'll better not do that.

nonnus29 said:

Yes, congratulations! Life is all about change, so it's something everyone has to get used too, and like I always say, making money is COOL!

Thanks and yeah it was about time for a change here. I doubt that I'll "make" much money in those three years though. I'm mainly doing it for the experience and for getting the official certification in the end.;) I think I'll always be at +-0 Euro at the end of each month, because rent is high and payment(for an apprenticeship) is low. But I'm not going to complain. I'm thankful that we don't live in times anymore, where the apprentice has to pay the company to get trained.8-)

Felipe said:

Congratulations. Hope you do well on your own :)

Thank you too.

Thank you all again for all your good wishes.:)
(It's so going to rock there!:D)

Rampage
Member #3,035
December 2002

I changed my avatar AND my nick :P.

Seriously, good luck with your apprenticeship!

-R

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Best of luck to you!

And don't you dare drop off the Internets or the forum altogether - I mean, who else am I going to mooch pixel art off of when my C64 project finally gets under way? ;)

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

Dude that totally rocks.

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Thank you Rampage and thank you gnolam: If I were you though, I wouldn't count on me making any pixel art for your project, just ask Andrei E., he's still waiting for the art for Chickens...;D Of course I'd love to do pixel art for a great variety of projects, but realistically, it's not going to happen because I'll most certainly be very busy with work and life.:)

William said:

Dude that totally rocks.

Yay.\o/

Mars
Member #971
February 2001

Congratulations, Dennis! Moving out is a big step. I did it last October when I moved to Leipzig to study physics and I'm so fully enjoying myself here, it's uncanny!

--
This posting is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Crazy Photon
Member #2,588
July 2002

Congratulations man!!

It's a very important step in life, when you become independent and do things on your own and for yourself...

I've been doing a similar thing lately, I became independent from my parents, and moved to live with my girlfriend. It has been very nice so far, except we have been living stressful lives recently (because or work and thesis), but it's worth it :)

-----
Resistance is NEVER futile...

Archon
Member #4,195
January 2004

Of course, all of those pics are the same thing --> Dennis Busch.

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Mars said:

Congratulations, Dennis! Moving out is a big step. I did it last October when I moved to Leipzig to study physics and I'm so fully enjoying myself here, it's uncanny!

Thank you, yay, I'll be having a great time too, I just know it.

Crazy Photon said:

Congratulations man!!
It's a very important step in life, when you become independent and do things on your own and for yourself...

Hooray, I'm almost running out of "thank you"s. :D But Thank you! :)

Also thanks everyone for sharing a bit of your experience.

Archon said:

Of course, all of those pics are the same thing --> Dennis Busch.

In different mental states, yes.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Good luck Dennis. Moving 120Km away is pretty much ideal - it leaves you alone enough to gain independance, but you're still close enough to keep in good contact with your family. :)

[append]

Re: new avatars.

Who can name the gentleman in my new one? ;)

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Quote:

earn my own money(not much but it'll be sufficient for rent and food).;)

Learn to love pasta! ;)

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Quote:

Learn to love pasta!

:D

My first flatmate and I lived on 2-minute noodles, spagetti with ketchup, and rice pudding. When things were really desperate, we'd be eating bread sandwiches - a piece of fried bread between two pieces of unfried bread.

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Just don't forget the ketchup. It's what keeps the scurvy away.

--

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Thank you Lenny, also thanks for the advice on food, I appreciate that.

LennyLen said:

When things were really desperate, we'd be eating bread sandwiches - a piece of fried bread between two pieces of unfried bread.

:o (Hehe, that sounds funny now, but probably wasn't funny at that time.;D)

gnolam said:

Learn to love pasta! ;) [..] Just don't forget the ketchup. It's what keeps the scurvy away.

Thanks for that advice as well.
/me takes note: Pasta + Ketchup = PROFIT!:D

Archon
Member #4,195
January 2004

Quote:

/me takes note: Pasta + Ketchup = PROFIT!:D

Correction:
Pasta + Ketchup + ??? = PROFIT!:D

jhuuskon
Member #302
April 2000

With enough Onion, salt and pepper you can fool your tastebuds into thinking you have something with your pasta. :)

You don't deserve my sig.

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

Surely you could afford cheap beans and toast. :)

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

Quote:

With enough Onion, salt and pepper you can fool your tastebuds into thinking you have something with your pasta.

Oil.
Olive oil, onion, salt and pepper are the key to a good "pasta in bianco" ;)

[FMC Studios] - [Caries Field] - [Ctris] - [Pman] - [Chess for allegroites]
Written laws are like spiders' webs, and will, like them, only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful will easily break through them. -Anacharsis
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

1   2   3 

Go to: