Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » alpha release of my real time tactical game (sort-of-RTS)

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
alpha release of my real time tactical game (sort-of-RTS)
kronoman
Member #2,911
November 2002

I want to show to everybody what I was coding on my spare time (rainy days that I wasn't riding) on my summer vacations on the far far south of America.

I started a sort-of-RTS game, where you control a small squad of soldiers against
bad dudes... there is a lot to do yet, but at least you can almost play.

I inspired on games like Space Hulk, Crusader, Syndicate, Cannon Fodder, Warcraft, Rambo III, and others, so is a personal mix of what I liked from those games.

So well, this first demo is mainly to get opinions from alpha testers (you!) and go in the right direction with the project.

Here are some screenshoots
http://xs70.xs.to/pics/06094/screen1.jpg

http://xs70.xs.to/pics/06094/screen2.jpg

The file has the full source code (you have to compile it yourself, I tested it with DJGPP, Mingwin and GCC under Linux, just type 'make' on the project dir and should work fine)

The file --> http://www.yourfilelink.com/get.php?fid=37572
A mirror : http://www.savefile.com/files.php?fid=7586294

Note: The md5sum for the file must be 981a2402adf538e1bb7b27d0e3470225

The instructions to play the demo.

In short: (PLEASE READ) Select with left click, then open menu with right click. To drag select: hold ctrl + left click To multi select : hold shift + left click In this demo only : ENTER will shoot some LAME shoots with the last selected troop, K will kill it, and F1 will generate a new random army

Note that there is a lot that is not finished, for example, I still don't finish the weapons, and the map system is on design phase, but you can command your troops around, and the computer has a test AI that moves the enemies around

Quote:

Game manual
===========

By Kronoman
In loving memory of my father.
Copyright (c) 2006, Kronoman
Made in Argentina

In-game commands
================

Commands to troops
==================

Right mouse click || Open menu / close menu
A || Attack
W || Walk
R || Run
L || Look
S || Shoot
Q || Stop
SPACE || Select

Selection of troops
===================

Left mouse click || Select / give order selected
KEYPAD PLUS || Select all
KEYPAD MINUS || Select none
KEYPAD ASTERISK || Toggle selection
T || Toggle selection
SHIFT + Left mouse click || Multi selection
CTRL + Left mouse click and drag || Box selection

<b>*** Please, test it ; I hope to read feedback from it, to improve it **

p.s
Well, I really don't know the genre of the game that I'm doing, is it a RTS or not?
Advice on the game genre? Thanks

Birdeeoh
Member #6,862
February 2006

Looks good. Smooth, fun graphics...

I think coming from any remotely-related-to-RTS game I've played, it's a pita to have to hold ctrl to drag a select area out.

Right click should run a command directly in a multi-contextual, like *Craft (walk to an empty spot, attack an enemy, etc)

Where ARE you going with it? Out of curiosity? I can't give you advice for that, I need you to tell me so I can make more sense of what I'm seeing! ;)

Keep it up, though. Looks neat.

God I hate playing "full-throttle" games on a laptop =/

[url http://developer.berlios.de/projects/openlayer/]OpenLayer[/url is an OpenGL accelerated 2D library for fast and easy graphics development under Allegro

kronoman
Member #2,911
November 2002

Quote:

Looks good. Smooth, fun graphics...

Thanks !!

Quote:

I think coming from any remotely-related-to-RTS game I've played, it's a pita to have to hold ctrl to drag a select area out.

I stole the idea from Warcraft 1, but we was discussing on IRC a way to make it work in a more modern fashion.

Quote:

<Birdee-oh> kronoman - But I just played Starcraft last night for a little bit and recall just clicking in an empty space to drag around a group of units ;)
<kronoman> Birdee-oh: great idea, I will try to work a new algorithm
<kronoman> if the left click is on empty, toggle the start of drag
<kronoman> and see if the mouse moves

Quote:

Right click should run a command directly in a multi-contextual, like *Craft (walk to an empty spot, attack an enemy, etc)

I did this way so you actually have to think what to do, I never liked that way of clicking of new games, because it becomes a mindless just click, click, click[...] game.
Anyways, I may add a mode for that, just to satisfy people.

Also because I intentionally let the user choose to attack, i.e a empty spot, just to provide "covering fire" or such.

Quote:

Where ARE you going with it? Out of curiosity? I can't give you advice for that, I need you to tell me so I can make more sense of what I'm seeing! ;)

Well, the idea is to make a more action oriented game, where you enter right into the action with a small pack of men, heavy armed, more Space Hulk / Cannon Fodder style.

You don't harvest resources, you don't train units, etc, you just command the troops into action (that's the way I like it).

Of course, there is no such thing as magic, monsters or bs, just real men, and real bullets flying around the place.

You will probably fight in indoors close quarters, inside buildings, etc and maybe some outdoors too.

Is more a game of commanding a small squad than a real RTS.

Quote:

Keep it up, though. Looks neat.

Thanks!!

Any more feedback appreciated :D

Birdeeoh
Member #6,862
February 2006

Ever seen the Commandos series from Eidos?

It stresses stealth/problem solving more than action, but the concept of moving a small squad of guys around and being a bit more "real world" than base-building + harvesting is there... may wanna give it a look if you've never seen it.

Also because I intentionally let the user choose to attack, i.e a empty spot, just to provide "covering fire" or such.

In StarCraft if you right click on an empty spot, the unit goes there. If you right click on an enemy, unit attacks the enemy. Right click on a freindly building, it's context sensitive based on the building and unit (Scv repairs, marine goes in bunker, protoss unit recharges shields, etc etc)

However you can override that behavior. Such as forcing an SCV to enter a bunker instead of repair it. Or telling a unit to attack a friendly building instead of enter it/go to it/fix it.

I think there's alot to be said for having a default action but, of course, reserving the right to override the default action.

I understand where you're coming from trying to stray away from mindless click-fests... But fact of the matter is if I have to choose between your game which makes me specifically pick every single action, or another game which is IDENTICAL to yours in every way except there is reasonable default behavior for right-clicks with a menu to provide the less-common actions... then guess which I'm picking? ;)

Of course I, probly like everyone else, always wished you could set a Siege Tank to pound an empty piece of ground for defense at choke points. ;)

[url http://developer.berlios.de/projects/openlayer/]OpenLayer[/url is an OpenGL accelerated 2D library for fast and easy graphics development under Allegro

Siloh
Member #2,786
October 2002

I played this and it looked promising. I'd say it's definately of RTS genre, but the user interface is definately going to need some work.

Dylan O
Member #5,403
January 2005

Got to agree, 'balancing' a game by making commands harder to issue isn't the right way to go. The default action doesn't make the tactics any better, just makes it easier to translate the plans from your head into the computer in as few clicks as possible.

kronoman
Member #2,911
November 2002

Well, I just finished patching the interface, and now, it has a default action.

When you click a empty space, if you have someone selected, he will walk there.
If you click a enemy, they will attack him.

Sounds good ?

The pita is, is a little slower algorithm, because I must check what you clicked a few times, this is because of the OO design that I took, where the interface knows almost nothing about your army, it just sends the commands to the army in question.

Now, I will work on adding weapons, more animations, and a real map (currently is using just a lame floor texture for decoration).

I must think also on lights, explosions, etc :)

mmm... grenades... yup, it needs grenades ;)

Go to: