Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Let's compare political compass coordinates!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
Let's compare political compass coordinates!
Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

-4, -2.87

A lot of the questions were leading, as well as multi-sided. I could answer the questions differently given a different context, but I tried to generalize.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

jhuuskon
Member #302
April 2000

Economic Left/Right: 1.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.15

I've drifted to the right side :o

You don't deserve my sig.

miran
Member #2,407
June 2002

Economic Left/Right: -8.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.31

Last time I was at (-6.75, -6.87).

--
sig used to be here

Carrus85
Member #2,633
August 2002

Holy crap, I'm further left than I thought...
Economic Left/Right: -7.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 1.90..

Okay, so I'm a Mid-leftwing Authoritarian, Unaffiliated with any party. Nice to know, I guess...

Sirocco
Member #88
April 2000

Quote:

Well I'm not close to anyone on that chart at, other than I am somewhere between the Dalai Lama and Robert Mugabe ;)

left/right: -4.64
social: 0.26

For what it's worth, your score is extremely close to mine.

-->
Graphic file formats used to fascinate me, but now I find them rather satanic.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I have no idea what the terms really mean... Like Liberal, Concervative, etc..

but here we go:

Economic Left/Right: -5.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.54

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Quote:

I agreed here but only under the premise that there can be abstract art that represents something. wtf, it's an "abstraction" of something after all, that is why it is called "abstract", how could it not represent anything?

Because 'Abstract Art' has become more an umbrella term than an exact one. These days, anything that isn't semi-realistic gets called abstact art.

As for my results... -8.0, -5.64.

kdevil
Member #1,075
March 2001

The abstract art question really does depend on what you consider "abstract". To me, "abstract art" brings to mind stuff like hanging a store-bought shovel on the wall and calling it art, or a roll of chicken wire just sitting there on the floor, or the top of a paint-splattered table (all of which I actually saw in a museum :-/).

-----
"I am the Black Mage! I casts the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

Wetimer
Member #1,622
November 2001

Economic Left/Right: 5.63
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 2.46

I suspect I'm the most economically right wing person on the forum. :) But that's not odd since I'm also the most economically right wing person I've ever known...

However, I think the test has a major problem. I may say that abstract art isn't art, and that probably pegs me as being a social authoritarian, but am I really a social authoritarian unless I'm actually advocating the execution of abstract artists?

http://www.self-gov.org/quiz.html- And for a slightly different take, the worlds shortest political quiz.

<code>if(Windows.State = Crash) Computer.halt();</code>

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Quote:

The abstract art question really does depend on what you consider "abstract"

Reminds me of the simpsons episode where Homer builds a Barbeque completely wrong. It turns into a big mess of cement and metal which is later considered 'art'. :P

I consider abstract art to be any art that isn't meant to be recognized for what it actually is, but is interesting to look at... if that makes sense. I don't really like abstract art :P
If you look at it and ask "What is that?", it's probably abstract art. ;)
Abstract
Not so abstract

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

kdevil said:

To me, "abstract art" brings to mind stuff like hanging a store-bought shovel on the wall and calling it art, or a roll of chicken wire just sitting there on the floor, or the top of a paint-splattered table (all of which I actually saw in a museum :-/).

That's the kind of "abstract art that does NOT represent anything"(aside from the object that it actually is), does not require any skill to create and therefore should not be considered art at all.(and the "artists" should be tar'd 'n feathered!;D)
The only one who would be allowed to call a store-bought shovel art, is the manufacturer of the shovel, because he actually needed some skill to create it but then it is not abstract art but more like usable-art or more specifically a tool, is every tool a piece of art?... now this is a little strange... shouldn't then every product of every craft be considered art?
What is art? (let the 'religious' flamewar begin...:D)

jhuuskon
Member #302
April 2000

I remember one advertisement from a magazine: "Maglite - A work of art that works." I have two (A 3D and a Solitaire), and i have to agree. Amazingly durable stuff.

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Quote:

What is art?

So far we have "Amazingly durable stuff".
I'll add 'beautiful'.

Art is beautiful amazingly durable stuff.

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

Quote:

What is art? (let the 'religious' flamewar begin...:D)

Noooooooooo.......

You see, this question is pointless. Everybody has their own opinion on this subject, and since the whole discussion revolves around the definition of the word "art", we will ultimately fail to agree.
One could argue that art is everything that was created without a primary purpose, just for the sake of itself. But that would exclude most of the works of Bach, Rembrandt and the likes; Bach composed mainly for church services, and Rembrandt's paintings were intended to illustrate and decorate (as was all fine art until the late 1800s).
Then there's the definition of "depicting reality", which clearly doesn't fit most modern art, which is at least partly abstract, or intentionally distorts reality (surrealism comes to mind).
"Beauty" doesn't work either; especially in modern art, there are lots of works that are generally acknowledged to be "art", while being all but beautiful or pleasant to perceive. Plus, "beauty" is a very subjective thing. While I dislike most metal music, I can still understand that others may like it and even think of it as the most beautiful music they've ever heard.
Yet another definition might take "artistic value" into account, but this is so ridiculous I will only touch the basics. "Artistic value" is a very dangerous work because it implies that art is very complicated and hard to understand, something you need to learn thoroughly before you can appreciate it, and that only very very few people are enlightened enough to judge what is "valuable" and what is not. Hitler made laws about art using a similar definition. Nuff said.
Then there are people who say that something is art as soon as someone says so. Which isn't correct either, because that would truly make the maglite a stroke of artistic genius.

Your political compass said:

Economic Left/Right: -8.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.00

I'm a hippie!

I'm amazed at how many times I wished there were a "Couldn't (dis)agree more strongly" button.
Take this one: "Our race has many superior qualities, compared with other races."
There are only 3 advantages of "our race" I can think of:
1) We are less visible when placed in front of a light background
2) When tattooed, the colors come out nicely
3) The common prejudices against my race tend to open more doors for me than those that exist agains other races.
And 3 basically comes from people who "strongly agree" with the given statement in the first place.

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

jhuuskon
Member #302
April 2000

I was referring to the Maglite as more of a piece of usable art like DB suggested. It's so well thought and designed that it is, IMO, a piece of art.

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

I know. I forgot to use an emoticon. ;D

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

"Mothers may have careers, but their first duty is to be homemakers."

Where's the question "Fathers may have careers..."?
I think either both questions, or one question with the the word Parents should be in there.
I strongly agree to the question, because I think anyone who gets a child should put the child before their own needs.

I came pretty close to Gandhi...

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Quote:

What is art?

What is not art?

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

1   2 

Go to: