Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Talk about your typical day at work

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3   4 
Talk about your typical day at work
Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

What could be more interesting than your day at work? Or perhaps, less interesting...

Talk about your typical day at work. What duties and responsibilities do you have? Do you enjoy it? What happened today? Do you even have a job? What are your future plans.

No need to list how much you make. This is not some kind of "I'm better than you" war (or I will kill it). Just curious as to what everybody's doing. Why? Well, I guess just to post_count++. :)

My typical day consists of showing up between 8:00am and 10:00am. They don't seem to mind, I've never been warned about it or anything. Sometimes I come in even later. If it's really late (after noon), I usually call and they're cool with it.

I'm just an IT intern, so I don't do anything major. I've got a nice little office that I share with one of the other 2 programmers in the company. I usually keep one internet window open at all times, frequently checking forums, unless a big project is underway (which is kind of rare). My duties include helping out users with their multitude of problems, fixing computers, specific problems that need to be addressed with our programs and whatever else might come our way. I do a fair amount of SQL and informix programming, but lately I've been on another project. We are planning to go to electronic reporting and I'm the main man on the project. I just finished today gathering the entire distribution (which is a whole lot) and I'm going to start evaluating the actual usage of our current reports.

I typically finish up the day around 6 or 7pm. I help out with the night operator duties since the position was recently terminated. It's a monday to friday job, so I get weekends off.

I'm hoping to go full time pretty soon, before the end of this semester. I'm going to work here until my wife graduates and then look for other opportunities, hopefully in the gaming industry.

So there you have it, now your turn.

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

I usually show up around 1pm. If its earlier in the week everybodies probably in meetings so I just get to work on various stuff i have to do (programming, maybe performing some calibrations or something). If its later in the week its likely I'll be helping out with capturing or aligning stuff. Inbetween everything else I'm learning about all the different technologies.

Usually I'll go out to lunch with a co-worker or two (I only have 3, one of which works from home) soon after getting in.

If theres a demo or something coming up I'm probably working weird hours (ie coming in early or leaving late) in which case I wouldnt be doing any programming, just helping keeping everything working.

Oh and ofcourse inbetween everything theres jokes about everything ranging from funny bugs, to weird business strategies, to how facebook always uses the elevator to go between the 2nd and 3rd floors so we can't use it to get out.

I usually leave around 6 or 7.

Rick
Member #3,572
June 2003

In between 6-7 AM, I prefer to work early. Usually write some program to make users life easier and more productive in the AM. People start coming in around 9-10 AM, and most the rest of the day I put out fires. I'm the only person remaining from a layoff so I'm the only guy who knows how everything works. :)

========================================================
Actually I think I'm a tad ugly, but some women disagree, mostly Asians for some reason.

Myrdos
Member #1,772
December 2001

I'm a professionally disillusioned University student. All I can say is
[REMAINDER OF POST EDITED DUE TO SELF-PROTECTIVE INSTINCT + MY NOT USING AN ANONYMOUS INTERNET HANDLE]

[POST RESUMES]
Lunch and the bus-ride home are the high points of my day. They play movies at lunch :) As you can imagine, I just can't wait to get into the workforce.

SonShadowCat
Member #1,548
September 2001

Go in at 2pm, start off by checking if anyone has soiled their briefs. Change as needed, give out snacks at 3pm and get everyone up for dinner by 5. Feed everyone until 6:30pm or so. Give showers to those who are scheduled for one. Get everyone in bed by 8:30 and do last rounds( checking for soiled briefs) from 9-10pm. After that is done, finish my paperwork and go home.

And in case if you're wondering what I do and where I work, I'm a CNA( certified nursing assistant) working in a nursing home.

Marcello
Member #1,860
January 2002

Go in. Sit down. Help people. Leave.

Marcello

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

I walk 3 blocks over to work between 7:15 and 7:30. Sometimes I get breakfast downstairs at the deli and eat it at my desk, other times I just have a cup of coffe. I zone out for about an hour in the morning thinking "it's to early to do anything" or for the whole day - "it's monday/friday, I'm not doing anything today!". But normally I get most of my work done in the morning if I have anything big to do.

Before lunch I may research an issue or create a report. Also before lunch I always go down stairs to the big breakroom and 'rest my eyes' by staring out the window for about 10-15 minutes. Then I walk home for lunch: about 1:00 to 1:15 long lunch. Sometimes I eat lunch at the deli and read a book.

Then I walk back to work, I veg out and read stuff I copy onto a diskett and bring in (I have no internet password). I take another break at about 2:30 and then leave precisely at 4:00 and walk home.

My life is very relaxing.

;)

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I'm a car mechanic.
If they're not too terribly behind in my pay ("we already paid you for that week: no you didn't, yes we did" etc.) and they knock on my door, I probably go in to work on some car where 3 people have already diddled stuff (and didn't get it to do right so they call me) and try to repair it with no tools (15 minute search for a simple wrench because if it's not welded down it walks off) no info (There's a really lame car repair program called Alldata but they just toss the DVD's in a heap so they're unreadable) out in the rain (because the shop is so full of useless junk that was bought years ago in the hope somebody would pay $50 for it) and the boss wants it fixed in 5 minutes, but "try this, try that, do this" as bright ideas come to him faster than I can carry them out. 10 years ago, I had the idea that I should do my best in everything, now I couldn't care less if everybody in the world had to walk.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

kazzmir
Member #1,786
December 2001

Oh what a wonderful topic for me to vent in.

Well today is Monday so of course nothing went right. The first thing I do when I get to work is login to my machine but for some reason the computer wasnt responding to my keyboard. I swapped the keyboard with a different one but no luck. So I rebooted the machine and everything worked fine from there.

Then I spent the whole day rewriting a script to make it faster but failed miserably because the added complexity to make it faster also prevented it from working :p.

Steve Terry
Member #1,989
March 2002

Well my job is quite new, only been there for 3 weeks. I work for a major aircraft company and my job is to write programs that make the engineers and avionics teams work more effeciently as well as support old programs other people have already written. My title is Application Programmer/Analyst I. The main application I'm supporting at the moment is called Catia and it's nice. It's used to design parts and products in 3D, test for stresses, look for errors, etc. The industry just upgraded from version 4 to version 5 which is a complete rewrite which runs on both AIX and Windows and has been completely revamped. There is a simple scripting interface to the API as well as a much more complex C++ API called RADE. I'm currently writing some stuff in RADE and dabbled a bit in the scripting but it was not much of a challenge. RADE would be ok if it had proper documentation but unfortunately the docs were written in something like doc++ and the API is inconsistant and confusing. Not to mention it's using COM which I know the reasons but it's more of a hinderance in many ways. Anyway so far I'm impressing the people in my group because I seem to be catching on fast. Lunches are only supposed to be 30 mins but we play cards for an hour. Lots of cool people there too, tons of Linux gurus and techies. So far nothing too intimidating for me though, but I'm sure as I learn more they'll throw more at me.

zer0
Member #6,501
October 2005

I work at a Starbucks kiosk inside a grocery store. I typically show up around 2:00 pm. All day I make drinks, spill drinks, pour coffee, brew more coffee, fill the espresso machine, grab syrups, drink coffee... "Make drinks" is a bad way to put my primary job, customer service. Dealing with happy people is the best--it helps when they understand I'm busy (and by myself), and the wait is long. Or if we're out of something.

I enjoy my job. I like it when people return, and I can call out their order before they say anything. They like it too. It makes them feel special and important; plus they always come back ;D.

Dealing with complacent to angry customers is probably the worst part of my job. It doesn't really happen at all since I'm a pro baerista. Well, unhappy customers and make frappacinos. I despise frappacinos, they're a pain in the ass. And I can always tell when someones going to order one. Little kids and fat ugly women, with nasty moles and mustaches.

At around 7:00 I go to the back of the store and grab milk and pastries from the walk in cooler. I try to break down boxes and bring out empty milk crates to make life easier on the guys who work in the back-room. I then bring it all up, take the pastries out of their boxes and make them look pretty on a tray, and cover them with shrink wrap.

At 8:30 I throw away all of the old pastries (usally around 10) and wrap up the ones that are still good. Sometimes I take one or two. Then I grab a mop, stock everything well, sweep, dump stuff out, make stuff...

Still, I can't wait to get a job programming. :(

Steve Terry
Member #1,989
March 2002

SSC my mom is a CNA so I feel your pain :) Some people like that kind of work though.

Marcello
Member #1,860
January 2002

Hah, I love frappacinos! Usually the only reason I go to a starbucks. Everything is so damned expensive.

Jonny Cook
Member #4,055
November 2003

I don't work... so I probably shouldn't post anything in this thread. Woops, too late.

The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face.

Sirocco
Member #88
April 2000

I'll keep this concise.

I get up and make the short (15 mile) commute to work, then sit in my office for the next 10-12 hours programming, ordering equipment, and troubleshooting the occasional system failure. I then go home, and do whatever I can until I eventually fall asleep.

Boring, but the pay is very nice.

-->
Graphic file formats used to fascinate me, but now I find them rather satanic.

juvinious
Member #5,145
October 2004

I wake up in the morning, make coffee and then sit down in front of the computer all day. My job is the easiest in the world, as I am unemployed. :D
Although that shall change soon....... :'( I'm going to work as a customer service representative at Lik Sang, probably doing some web work as well too.

SonShadowCat
Member #1,548
September 2001

Quote:

SSC my mom is a CNA so I feel your pain :) Some people like that kind of work though.

I don't mind it, it's an honorable job that makes me feel like I'm actually doing something good( given that most people think I'm a psychopathetic prick).

I don't see how anyone could work all day just sitting down...I'd go crazy and have a sore butt.

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

The thing that sucks about being unemployed is: "The moment you wake up, you're on the job." (i can't remember where i've stolen this quote... i think it is from the Laffer Utilities)

miran
Member #2,407
June 2002

Quote:

Talk about your typical day at work.

Sorry, I can't. Have to work...

--
sig used to be here

Archon
Member #4,195
January 2004

My job involves fixing up shelves in my department at a Walmart like store (though we get a decent pay).

All I can say is, people would be paying less if they didn't fiddle (then DAMAGE, LOSE and MISPLACE) with the products. They even break the seals that say "do not open the seals for they are for ensuring the product is complete upon trade"... There are so many products that have ripped cardboards, disfigured boxes, missing products and items that are found in the middle of nowhere. Not to mention the people who steal all this unnecessary stuff ('more necessary' would probably be stealing basic food items for a family in poverty).

It makes me pessimistic >:(

I get AU$12 an hour.

jhuuskon
Member #302
April 2000

I usually go to school at 8, 8.45 or 9.45, to the Savonia University of Applied Sciences (Yes, they've changed the name once again), study, drink coffee and smoke cigarettes till lunch (11.30), then drink coffee and smoke cigarettes till 12.10 when the afternoon lessons begin, after which i study, drink coffee and smoke cigarettes. Depending on the day, i'll get back home at 13.45 or 17.45.

You don't deserve my sig.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I go to work when I'm scheduled. (full-time suckers! ;)). Anywhere from 9 in the morning to 4 at night, and work for 5 hours. I move all kinds of huge bulk items, like 54 lbs of dog food, and plastic bins of detergent around same size. It's not bad, but I do work for my money. Though sadly, my damaged back doesn't take kindly to lifting large items like those, so it ends up hurting pretty bad some days.

The managers and such are all cool. For some bizarre reason... they are care (like... actually care!) and don't tell you how to do your job. :o It's lovely. They're still managers, but they're not so concerned with making money that your well-being goes out the window.

Now, on to the part that sucks: People--or more specifically, stupid people. I'm a cashier, and yet for some reason unbeknownst to me, people think I come up with the rules and regulations. And even more so, they somehow figure that I can bend them. :o As if somehow, if they yell enough, I'll change my mean ol' mind and let them break the law ("You can't buy beer tax exempt, we don't have a beer reseller's license!"). ::)

And then there's the people who think I should be able to read their mind, and then yell at me when I fail to do so. For instance:
"I told you to put $1000 on my card and the rest on my visa"
"Sir, you never mentioned using your personal credit," I replied.
"I handed you my card, didn't I?" he snapped back.
"You have to hand us that card so we can start any transaction. It doesn't mean you'll use the credit on that card."
"I told you to put $1000 on my card and the rest on my visa"
"..."
That guy made me so angry... he had such a demeaning angry tone, and yet I took the high road. He forgot a paper of his that would have made that special sale thing possibly invalid, and I walked out and gave it to him. :( I think it confused him quite a bit when he realized he chewed out someone who was only trying to help him.

Why are people stupid? I mean, what makes people think that because someone works in retail, they can just be a complete donkey to them? They sure as heck wouldn't do that to a stranger. I swear, one of these days I'm just going to get one of my big friends to hang out at work with me and threaten people who bother with me. 8-) It's not like I'm mean or disrespectful in anyway to anyone I help. I'm extremely cheerful at work, I like to work, and I try my best to be helpful. And yet I deserve to be chewed out? Goodness!

Alright, well, I've made my peace.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

I'm a student. I hate work.

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

kentl
Member #2,905
November 2002

How it was before I became a student:
05:30 - Wake up!
06:05 - Take the bus for 60 kilometers.
08:30 - I am at work!
At work - Work as a IT-technican, helpning people / designing infrastructure.
17:30 - I have worked my 8 hours.
17:40 - I'm taking the bus home.
19:10 - I am home again!

How it is now when I study:
- Wake up!
- Study at home OR walk 100 meters to the university.
- Study / Go to seminars / Work on assignments.
- If I am at school: Go 100 meters to my home.
- Do something else.

How it will be (I have a job waiting for me) after I have finished my CS studies:
- Wake up!
- Take the train for 80 kilometers.
- Travel by bus/bicycle 2-3 kilometers.
- I am at work!
- Work as a programmer on systems related to the steel industry.
- I have worked my 8 hours.
- Travel by bus/bicycle 2-3 kilometers.
- Take the train for 80 kilometers.
- I am home again!

miran
Member #2,407
June 2002

Quote:

Take the train for 80 kilometers.

Couldn't you just take the train ONCE, stay there and never take the train again?

--
sig used to be here

1   2   3   4 

Go to: