Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Game Design & Concepts » Polygonal platformer

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
Polygonal platformer
OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Ok thanks for the advices Craig. I'm not planning to use something like changing polygons, but I can say I'd be able to handle collisions with them. For the time being I can handle point vs polygon and polygon vs polygon tests even when the polygon is rotating so I don't see big deal there. Also your method is far better than my involving drawing primitives.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Flecko
Member #566
August 2000

As an aside, you should seriously check out Out of this World for the SNES. It was the first game I ever played that used polygons for 2d. Amazing game...sorry I can't find a link for a review or anything, but look it up.

And dare I say it, download the ROM and try it out.

Best of luck,
-Flecko

ben's drivel
A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer. This message brought to you by Old Kentucky Shark of Kentucky Nightmare Whiskey Co.

Corelian
Member #3,376
March 2003

Quote:

As an aside, you should seriously check out Out of this World for the SNES. It was the first game I ever played that used polygons for 2d. Amazing game...sorry I can't find a link for a review or anything, but look it up.

Aka Another World. I've never played it on SNES, but I'll doubt that its better than the PC or Amiga versions. Linkage. The game used polygon objects (characters, moving stuff), but IIRC the backgrounds were bitmaps.

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

I've heard about this one. Pretty cool stuff.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

Hey, why code your own polygon fillers when allegro comes with a full set of them? Optimized and all? All you need to do is use the correct polygon mode (for 2, affine mapping is perfect), specify texture coordinates (you can start off by just copying the un-scrolled x and y coords) and pass a BITMAP* as the texture. To be on the safe side, you should also set all the z coords to the same (non-zero) value.

Quote:

What platforms are out if he'd go for OpenGL?

Pretty much all platforms without (proper) opengl drivers. "Serious" gamers laugh at this, but the casual gamer expects games to run on an out-of-the-box system without further hassle. And for windows, out-of-the-box often means that opengl is MS-only, which is a lot slower than allegro's 3d routines. Also, without 3d hardware (some older laptops and very old desktop pc's), opengl is virtually useless for anything real-time.
I have to admit, though, that opengl is a lot easier to use once you get used to it. Allegro 3D is pretty nasty and error-prone; where opengl returns a well-documented error code and does nothing further, allegro produces rendering artifacts, SIGSEGVs and mysterious crashes when not used properly.

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

1   2 

Go to: