Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » Cannon Blaster (Non Allegro)

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Cannon Blaster (Non Allegro)
Michael Jensen
Member #2,870
October 2002

Its VB.NET, source is included, uses GDI+/Events for output/input.
binary is in the debug folder, you'll need .net framework 2.0 (BETA!) to play it -- release version of 2.0 will probably not work with it.

I put this together in my database class because we have VB.NET on those compys.

{"name":"cb_scrshot.gif","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/6\/66ed628f89e09cfb3a43819457fe7d12.gif","w":1024,"h":768,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/6\/66ed628f89e09cfb3a43819457fe7d12"}cb_scrshot.gif

Download CannonBlaster.zip

Let me know your opinions, etc. Ideas on scoring, blarg.

Wilson Saunders
Member #5,872
May 2005

Lots of shrapnel, carnage and destruction. I like it, but where is the quit game button?

I can see this is a work in progress but I like the old school graphics and the fact you can never die. It makes it a good time waister without bringing that element of worry I already have too much of in my life.

When it comes time to add sound please remember to have a nice gooey splat sound for those who hit the ground without a 'chute. Also if you want to add to the cool factor I think adding a secondary fire like machine gun or better yet two machine gun nests on either side of the bunker could be nifty. I know it is your game so feel free to do as you please.

I respect the stick figure graphics but if you want me to draw some stuff I do have art/animating skills. Contact me at jhunter@ezcybersearch.com if you want to work something out.

Final thought: I enjoy playing this game.

Michael Jensen
Member #2,870
October 2002

quit game button? ALT-F4.

I like those ideas, I but think it might give an unfair advantage to the player....

I just added ground, and landing-ism today, so will probably have some type of scoring mechanism before asp III lets out for the holiday...

I would love to have you do graphics for me, but not on this version, I really want this to be just a stick figure vb game (don't plan on sound either) If I ever make an allegro version that uses direct-x, etc, I will definatley ask you for help with this!

;D

Glad someone enjoys it :-)

Edit:

Also in an allegro version it would be nice to have more than just planes and parachuters... maybe a missile command style game where you must defend things and bombers also flying over head... maybe you could be in a tank.... hmmm good idea for a real game.

Frank Drebin
Member #2,987
December 2002

looks awesome - how can i compile this?

Michael Jensen
Member #2,870
October 2002

to compile? just open the solution in visual studio 2005 and hit F5.

a binary is included in the projects bin/release folder... should be named cannon blaster.exe -- BTW a new, beta/pre-finished version is now avilable via the original link.

You can download the .Net Framework 2.0 Beta 2 Framework here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=7ABD8C8F-287E-4C7E-9A4A-A4ECFF40FC8E&displaylang=en

Note that it is completely incompatable with 2.0 Release framework, and you can not have the two installed on the same system, and if you plan on installing the 2.0 Release framework, or studio, you must completely remove all traces of the beta products from your computer at that time.

Edit Again:
OOPS! It appears that NATO moves in about 3 minutes after playing:
{"name":"CB_B1_BLOOPER.gif","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/3\/e3b7ac8b98eceab3ce3d132b02c482e2.gif","w":1024,"h":768,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/3\/e3b7ac8b98eceab3ce3d132b02c482e2"}CB_B1_BLOOPER.gif

Wilson Saunders
Member #5,872
May 2005

I just remembered a little trick I used before I knew how to do bit maps. When doing explosions or jet contrail, have a timer change the color. In this case when the explosion starts have the particles be white then fade them to red and finally to black.

pseudo code:

Update_Particle(){
counter++;
frac = counter*2 / particle_life_span;
if(frac < 1){ // fade from white to red
// assume (1.0,0.0,0.0) is red
SetColor(1.0,1.0-frac,1.0-frac);
}else{ // fade from red to black
SetColor(2.0-frac, 0.0, 0.0);
}
Draw_Particles();
}

I don't know how color works in VB since I mostly work in OpenGL but it adds a nifty effect if you can pull it off right.

Michael Jensen
Member #2,870
October 2002

I'm not sure if I want to add color to this... I could fade them to black (I'm quite proud that it looks as good as it does with 1bpp color!), but it might hog resources... -- maybe I should calculate a color table at startup, and use a counter as an index into that table...

I added a pause/exit button, fixed the ww3 bug (image posted above) and overwrote the old version on my site with it; you can download that version...

the pause button brings up a window that pauses the app, gives you an option to exit, and shows you your highest score this run, and a line graph of your score since you started or for the last hour (which ever is the least time span)...

I feel that it is nearly finished...

Extreemly playable and enjoyable too!

edit: oh I added an icon also, and repacked the zip's structure to have the exe on the root, and then a folder with the project/source... no external files! yay!

8-)

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

I can't initiate the program.
Did you forget to include something for us who don't have any msvisual whatever installed?
It doesn't complain about dll's though.

Randal Stackpoole
Member #4,075
November 2003

Michael Jensen
Member #2,870
October 2002

Doesn't run?

Quote:

Astrotit

Haven't played it; But after seeing the screenshot; I'd prefer highres b&w vector graphics over low-res cga, any day of the week :P. That being said, nostalgia is great... this is actually a clone of a game you can still "buy," oddly enough... my ipod has it.

Wilson Saunders
Member #5,872
May 2005

I think I like the pace of the older version without the ground better than the new one. I really don't care as much about the score as just letting loose in a target rich environment.

I was day dreaming about doing an allegro version with Orks as the paratroopers. You would have a tough time convincing a squad of humans to suffer 90% casualties trying to parachute on an alert gun emplacement. But this is just the kind of thing that Orks are dumb enough to try.

Michael Jensen
Member #2,870
October 2002

90% eh?
Just released a new version, my high point was at about 10K (score) I quit once it got too hard and I dropped below -5000, the graphing feature is kind of neat at that point... this version increases in difficulty as you go at a more apparent rate, Version is "Beta 3".

I was thinking it would be neat to have a game that played LIKE this, but not exactly... have kind of an all out war going on with tanks and airplanes dropping off chuters, and bombers, and buildings (with simple interiors that would be part of a scrolling map) etc
Probably have hundreds of players (most of the time ALL AI, except for 1 to 4 that are probably all on the same team (special ops) that try to turn the tide in a loosing war or something...) it would be cool to have all kinds of freedom-ish actions too, things like throwing grenades (many different weapons) driving vehicles, climbing walls, parachutes :-) Cargo drops... (edit: sounds like a game I started making a while back but quit due to lack of time :'()

It sounds fun, and I can do it, but the problem with the idea is the same of that of Dungeoneer... no time... like I said I made this mainly in database class... It felt good to have a day yesterday where I didn't have to do anything.

8-)

Wilson Saunders
Member #5,872
May 2005

I just downloaded the new version. Holy $@#$!!! it is raining men. I have 7 plains on the screen and a score of negitive 56930. I don't think the machine gun unbalances it at all. I need it so I can clear a path so a flack bomb can reach the altitude where the planes are. My only hope is to swat a few planes from the sky then clean up as many paratroopers as I can before the next wave shows up. I am enjoying this greatly.

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

It could almost be Beach Head ;)

click me!

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Go to: