Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Good Jabber transport addresses for ICQ and MSN?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Good Jabber transport addresses for ICQ and MSN?
kentl
Member #2,905
November 2002

I've recently switched to Jabber from using various IM's which support multiple protocols. Nowdays I only use Pandion, not with the success I wish though.

I signed up with jabber.cd.chalmers.se as they were located in Sweden and supposedly had transports for ICQ and MSN at the same site. To my disappointment they are not very stable, especially the ICQ transport which almost always is down.

If I understood things correctly I should be able to stay with jabber.cd.chalmers.se för my Jabber account. And still use other transports?

Which transport do you use for ICQ and MSN? And does it work well? Hopefully I can switch transports and my problems will be gone. If not I guess that I will have to switch back, as I really need a way to communicate with ICQ and MSN users.

Felipe Maia
Member #6,190
September 2005

You should give it a try to miranda-im, it's a pretty good multiprotocol IM, but it's windows only.

HoHo
Member #4,534
April 2004

Gaim allows you to use several protocols simultaneously. Even several accounts of the same protocol can be logged in simultaneously. Also it is multiplatform.

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

He was likely unsatisfied when he tried both of those. The first sentence in his post says he tried various multi-protocol IM's. My understanding is that he wants to use the Jabber protocol with a server which translates Jabber->MSN and Jabber->ICQ.

Quote:

I've recently switched to Jabber from using various IM's which support multiple protocols.

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

kentl
Member #2,905
November 2002

Quote:

He was likely unsatisfied when he tried both of those. The first sentence in his post says he tried various multi-protocol IM's. My understanding is that he wants to use the Jabber protocol with a server which translates Jabber->MSN and Jabber->ICQ.

Correct! ;D I've tried all multi-protocol clients you guys can think off. Look at it this way, if you do not use Jabber yourself you can't help me.

Quote:

with a server which translates Jabber<->MSN and Jabber<->ICQ.

Yup. In the Jabber world they are called "transports". There are many transports for different protocols, and it's basically a proxy server / gateway for Jabber traffic.

Crazy Photon
Member #2,588
July 2002

Quote:

Which transport do you use for ICQ and MSN?

msn.jabber.anywise.com

Quote:

And does it work well?

It does for me :)

I use Psi as the client.

-----
Resistance is NEVER futile...

Marcello
Member #1,860
January 2002

That's one hideous client.

I'm not sure if I'd trust a third party with my AIM/ICQ/MSN login information. Even if they're 'nice,' it adds another vulnerability for your information to be stolen.

Marcello

kentl
Member #2,905
November 2002

Quote:

Did you look down on the screenshots page? The latest screenshots come last. I use Pandion myself though, it looks pretty good. Especially when writing / reading a message.

Quote:

I'm not sure if I'd trust a third party with my AIM/ICQ/MSN login information. Even if they're 'nice,' it adds another vulnerability for your information to be stolen.

Sure and I have given it some thought as well. I decided that I wanted to switch to an open and free protocol based on equally open standards, and still keep my old contacts.

Communication with the old contacts are not as secure as my Jabber<->Jabber conversations. On the other hand Jabber<->Jabber conversations are encrypted more strongly (If I understand it correctly) than ICQ/MSN, so looking at it that way makes it more secure.

Marcello
Member #1,860
January 2002

I hadn't looked at the latest screenshots at the bottom (boy is that a stupid approach), but now having looked at them, I have no change in my comment, those look just as bad. =P

Pandion looks great, though. I'm happy with GAIM, though.

As for encryption, I suppose that's a good thing, but on the other hand, you can get encryption on AIM/ICQ/etc. by using OTR, which simply extends existing non-encrypted communication paths to allow for encrypted communication.

I would still be worried about giving out my AIM login information to an unknown third party. Especially since it can be used for more than just AIM.

Marcello

kentl
Member #2,905
November 2002

Quote:

I would still be worried about giving out my AIM login information to an unknown third party. Especially since it can be used for more than just AIM.

I don't use AIM myself. But if that is the case (that you can use them for more than just IM) I would think twice about it as well.

[psudophilospical rant]
The central idea is that if people start to use an open protocol (like Jabber for example), then we can have more diversity amongst IM's and the developers of them wouldn't have to keep up with new / existing protocols using reverse engineering, sniffing etc.

If we look at the newest release of the ICQ client for example (I installed it before switching to Jabber), just horrible, ads all over the place. I don't know how MSN looks now days, but we can be sure of one thing. That Microsoft are the maintainers of the MSN protocol, and that they won't release it freely.

Just like HTML needs to be an open free standard we need another open free standard for IM's.
[/psudophilospical rant]

Quote:

msn.jabber.anywise.com

Thanks! :) What would really be great is a nice ICQ transport, as it's my main problem. Do you use one?

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Quote:

I'm not sure if I'd trust a third party with my AIM/ICQ/MSN login information.

I couldn't imagine being paranoid over my chat login information... the worst thing that could happen is you need to add your contacts again and explain to your friends what happened.

Unless it's happened to you before, I highly doubt it's reasonable to be afraid of it.

Quote:

Especially since it can be used for more than just AIM.

Except maybe in that case..

Quote:

I don't know how MSN looks now days,

Before the mess patch it's awful. I would never use it before the mess patch.

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

kentl
Member #2,905
November 2002

Does anyone use Jabber and can recommend an ICQ transport?

Crazy Photon
Member #2,588
July 2002

Quote:

Yes, I don't like it too much, and that's one of the better Jabber clients IMO, so imagine about the rest ;) it is nice in features though.

Quote:

What would really be great is a nice ICQ transport, as it's my main problem. Do you use one?

Yes, I think it was icq.jabber.anywise.com

-----
Resistance is NEVER futile...

Go to: