Allegro.cc Forums » Game Design & Concepts » 3D Model

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
3D Model
gering
Member #4,101
December 2003

Hi,

I have started this new project - a Bomberman Clone. I wont have much troubles with the code, but I am worried about the graphics. Especially about the B-Man himself. I would like to have a 3D Model with walking and dieing animation. Save this animation to 2D sprites and the use it in my game.

I have tried this in Blender, but I am still not so good at it and things I make look awful. ::)

So I want to ask, if someone wants to join me in my Bomberman project and make me some nice 3D Bomberman. ;D

Marcello
Member #1,860
January 2002

Just use the 'awful' one you made temporarily, write the game, then see if anyone wants to redo it once the game is playable and fun.

Marcello

Carrus85
Member #2,633
August 2002

Just for our information, what diamentions should the sprite be? And, if possible, maybe attach a copy of the sprites and their frames (for refrence). Someone might be willing to help a little bit more if they could see what they are dealing with...

gering
Member #4,101
December 2003

I don't know the dimension jet... But that should not be a problem, because what i need is the 3D model with bones for animation. I'm not sure if I should not use a 3D model in game or I should use sprites, but I think that sprites would be better. One reason is that I can make funnier animations like in Atomic Bomberman. I think 3D models are good for walking animations, but not for animations where parts of the model are changing, for instance loose a leg or explode or burning - if you know what I mean....

I think the model should look a bit like the classic bomberman, perhaps a bigger had. Perhaps floating fists and foot, like Rayman. Important is that he looks funny. hmm.. Cellshading...

Is there nobody who has free time and want's to join a project, that will bring one of the most funny multiplayer games to life? :o

Info:
I have so far:

• 2D engine based on OpenGL (fast and nice looking)

• Have experience with RakNet for network code

• Timerengin, which handles gameloop. Can separate logic and frame rate (HighRes)

What's missing:

• 3D model :o

• game code (but have written a bomberman ca 7 years ago)

• sound / sound engine

• maps

• items and stuff

• homepage

PS: I want to run the game in 1024x768 32bpp

Paul whoknows
Member #5,081
September 2004

Quote:

But that should not be a problem, because what i need is the 3D model with bones for animation.

I can't give you a full rigged 3d model with bones for animation, sorry, but isn't that easy.
If you want I can make some sprites for you, rendered from a dummy character, with those frames (walking animation) you can start the programming and testing process.

____

"The unlimited potential has been replaced by the concrete reality of what I programmed today." - Jordan Mechner.

gering
Member #4,101
December 2003

Thx Paul, that sounds nice for the start. ;D
I guess the dimensions should be smthing like 40x60 or 45x70

Paul whoknows
Member #5,081
September 2004

I rendered 3 walking animations(front, back, and left).
You can obtain a right view walking animation applying a mirror algorithm on the left view walking animation.
I rendered those animations at 15 frames per second.
I highly recommend you to use this animations frames* in a 60hz refresh rate video mode.
You can get the original animation speed easily, you just have to increment an animation frame* every 4 refresh frames**.
Remember 60/4=15

*frames: Here I am talking about the animations frames I rendered for you.
**frames: Here I am talking about refresh frames, your game refresh frames.

____

"The unlimited potential has been replaced by the concrete reality of what I programmed today." - Jordan Mechner.

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

75/5=15
90/6=15
These should be just as fine.

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

Paul whoknows
Member #5,081
September 2004

Yes, those works too, I suggested 60hz because is more popular, for example my fx5700 does not support 90hz.
Btw, I think it is also possible to use logic refresh rates, but I don't know how:-/

Here gif version:

FRONT
http://www.freeimagelibrary.com/images/PaulPaul/dummyfront.gif

BACK
http://www.freeimagelibrary.com/images/PaulPaul/dummyback.gif

LEFT
http://www.freeimagelibrary.com/images/PaulPaul/dummyleft.gif

____

gering
Member #4,101
December 2003

Thank you Paul! I'm now adding animation to my engine. I am using logic refresh rates. I will post a little demo of the walking dummy model when I am done...

gillius
Member #119
April 2000

Hmm this sounds a lot like two of my projects Super IsoBomb and Mega Monkey Mayhem. M3 used actual 3D models with cel-shading. It was developed with Direct3D8. IsoBomb was also had a Direct3D8 graphics engine but was rendered entirely in "2D" with sprites.

Gillius
Gillius's Programming -- https://gillius.org/

Krzysztof Kluczek
Member #4,191
January 2004

Quote:

Yes, those works too, I suggested 60hz because is more popular, for example my fx5700 does not support 90hz.

I think GF5700 should be perfectly capable of supporting high refresh rates, while your monitor may not be. It also depends on resolution you use (eg. my monitor can support 100Hz at 1024x768, while at 1600x1200 65Hz is the maximum). :)

Paul whoknows
Member #5,081
September 2004

Quote:

I will post a little demo of the walking dummy model when I am done...

Good, I want to play it!, but don't make me wait ;D

Quote:

I think GF5700 should be perfectly capable of supporting high refresh rates, while your monitor may not be.

You were right, it seems that my fx5700 supports up to 240hz, but my monitor does not.
I own a Philips trc 107S5 17", I like the image quality but the highest refresh rate in 1024x768 is only 85hz:(.

____

gering
Member #4,101
December 2003

first demo.... (abel to walk down)

I had to convert the png to bmp, because my engine hasn't png support yet. Anyone knows a good png lib that I can use with OpenGl easyly?

Fladimir da Gorf
Member #1,565
October 2001

OpenLayer? (Not actually a PNG library but loads PNGs and renders them to screen with transformations and color effects. You can bind the PNGs as OpenGL textures, OpenLayer can be used alongside of your own OpenGL code)

OpenLayer has reached a random SVN version number ;) | Online manual | Installation video!| MSVC projects now possible with cmake | Now alvailable as a Dev-C++ Devpack! (Thanks to Kotori)

gering
Member #4,101
December 2003

No, I want to do it with OpenGL and an image librrary. I don't want to include that much only for png loading...

Fladimir da Gorf
Member #1,565
October 2001

Then you could use BMGLib instead (found that in half a minute by googling for OpenGL and PNG loading)

OpenLayer has reached a random SVN version number ;) | Online manual | Installation video!| MSVC projects now possible with cmake | Now alvailable as a Dev-C++ Devpack! (Thanks to Kotori)

gering
Member #4,101
December 2003

Now I am able to load PNG files... finally :)

new demo (use up and down key to move)

[EDIT]

@Paul whoknows: Can you make me 4 more animations - I want 8 directions:
bman_up_xx, bman_up_right_xx bman_right_xx, bman_down_right, bman_down_xx, bman_down_left_xx, bman_left_xx, bman_up_left_xx

If not - could you post the 3d-model?

Paul whoknows
Member #5,081
September 2004

Quote:

new demo (use up and down key to move)

Did you write a new demo? where I can get it? post the link please.

Quote:

Paul whoknows: Can you make me 4 more animations - I want 8 directions:

Bomberman doesn't need 8 directions, what are you trying to do? :o
Anyway, if you need 8 direcionts(you have 3+1 already), then I have to make only 2 animations:
bman_up_right and bman_down_right(you mirror the 2 left).

Quote:

If not - could you post the 3d-model?

You must tell my in which file format, there are many of them!8-)

____

gering
Member #4,101
December 2003

http://thegering.gmxhome.de/files/demo2.zip
added mouse and joypad support to engine

I need it in a format that Blender can read... (.blend)

[EDIT]

http://thegering.gmxhome.de/files/demo3.zip
fixes bug with joypad, new font, 4-direction-model

Paul whoknows
Member #5,081
September 2004

I thought you were using allegro, in allegro you can use horizontal and vertical sprite flip routines.
I can't export to *.blend, search for some file utility converter, I can export to 3ds, obj, raw.
I am busy now, but in the next days I am going to post the animations you requested.

EDIT:

RIGHT DOWN
http://www.freeimagelibrary.com/images/PaulPaul/dummyleftdown1.gif

RIGHT UP
http://www.freeimagelibrary.com/images/PaulPaul/dummyleftup1.gif

EDIT: demo3 works better!, now with a 8 directions dummy you can do something more than just a 4-directions bomberman clone.
Btw, after game shutdown, a lot of error messages appeared.

____

gering
Member #4,101
December 2003

I'm not using allegro, I am using 2d OpenGL engine like OpenLayer.

Could you post the .png files, because .gif hasn't smooth alpha. I can handle the .3ds format.

Quote:

demo3 works better!, now with a 8 directions dummy you can do something more than just a 4-directions bomberman clone.
Btw, after game shutdown, a lot of error messages appeared.

Yes, somthing better than a 4 direction Bomberman is planned 8-)
I am working on the shutdown errors: could you tell me which one appeared?

Fladimir da Gorf
Member #1,565
October 2001

Quote:

I'm not using allegro, I am using 2d OpenGL engine like OpenLayer.

Well, then flipping the sprites should be a trivial task...

gering
Member #4,101
December 2003

Quote:

Well, then flipping the sprites should be a trivial task...

That's true, but I want later more than one model. Each should be stored the same way and perhaps not all will be flipable, because of asymmetric reasons. :-/

Zaphos
Member #1,468
August 2001

Quote:

Each should be stored the same way and perhaps not all will be flipable

Just store an "is flippable" boolean along with the pictures, and check that.

1   2 

Go to: