Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » WHAT THE FU..? Strange Chess Rules?!?

Credits go to da_flo and Hrvoje Ban for helping out!
This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
WHAT THE FU..? Strange Chess Rules?!?
Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Welcome to "Me Vs. Amiga-(BattleChess Level 3)"
It is the computer's turn... computer plays blue...
(i clearly thought that i was going to win this game:)... but then...)

BEFORE:
http://homepages.compuserve.de/DennisTapier/allegroforum/BEFORE.PNG

AFTER:
http://homepages.compuserve.de/DennisTapier/allegroforum/AFTER.PNG

I almost fell off my chair, not believing my eyes, screaming "WHAT THE FUC#!">:(.
I do not understand why that move was legal...
What strange kind of voodoo-magic-master-trick-geek-chess-rule does allow a pawn to slay like that???

DanTheKat
Member #1,990
March 2002

• Gets on his knees, trembles inhumanely, and starts crying with great fear... *

---
"Even the best spellcaster can't transmute bread into bread." - spellcaster

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

pfft, chess is for wimps.
Play Go instead.

Hrvoje Ban
Member #4,537
April 2004

En passent:

|--|--|--|--|--|--|
|  |  |  |  |  |  |
|--|--|--|--|--|--|
|  |  |E1|Y2|  |  |
|--|--|--|--|--|--|
|  |  |  |E2|  |  |
|--|--|--|--|--|--|
|  |  |  |Y1|  |  |
|--|--|--|--|--|--|

If you make two-step move with your pawn (Y1 to Y2), your opponent can pretend that you made just one step and capture your pawn (E1 to E2).

da_flo
Member #1,907
February 2002

This move is totally legal. It's called "prendre en passant" in french ( sorry, I didn't look up for the english yet ).
The computer had the right to do it because you moved your pawn ( the one who was killed ) by two squares the move immediately before. Here is an explanation of what happened : http://www.paginus.com/lesechecs/e.html#enpassant

[EDIT] Beaten >:( ( that's what you get when you write too long a post ;D )

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Thanks guys, that explains.:)

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

This move is totally legal. It's called "prendre en passant" in french ( sorry, I didn't look up for the english yet ).

Same. Just as saying j'adoube if you touch a piece without intending to move it.

About the position itself... I think I'd rather have black, even without the en-passant, e4-e3 looks like it's enough to counter the thread on the king's side and then you're a rook down...

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

You learn something every day eh?

I believe the pawn two-step was an addition to the rules, to speed up the opening phase of chess games. I guess somebody complained that was not fair, because that would allow you to avoid getting slayed just like you were trying to do right here. So that is why the en passant rule was introduced.

Corelian
Member #3,376
March 2003

Posting this just to make sure you know about the castling move (another url, check the special moves), so you don't have to come back here when the computer pulls that one at you. :)

Sirocco
Member #88
April 2000

Hmm... that's a new one for me, but our house rules only permitted a double-space move for a pawn once in any game (which normally occured during the first two turns), so that explains why the situation never came up ;)

Neat.

-->
Graphic file formats used to fascinate me, but now I find them rather satanic.

Krzysztof Kluczek
Member #4,191
January 2004

Quote:

(i clearly thought that i was going to win this game:)... but then...)

How? Even if computer didn't capture your pawn but just moved it one square down you would have been in trouble. Also I don't think you were going to win with your opponent having two rooks on the last row. :)

Quote:

our house rules only permitted a double-space move for a pawn once in any game (which normally occured during the first two turns)

A pawn can move two squares only from it's starting position, but it's counted for every pawn separately. :)

spellcaster
Member #1,493
September 2001

Well, it's obvious what happend here.
The computer's pawn threatend the area you were passing through. He must have scored a critical hit with his attack of opportunity - or, if the compuetr's pawn is an assasin and had enough time to study you, it might simply have been his deadly strike.

You can avoid this by letting your cleric (or druid) buff you before combat. He should also have a cure spell ready in case the HP of one of your party members are dropping below 0.

--
There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Evert said:

About the position itself... I think I'd rather have black, even without the en-passant, e4-e3 looks like it's enough to counter the thread on the king's side and then you're a rook down

Great let's play it through(Starting with the BEFORE situation). You're blue and you just moved e4-e3.
Now its my turn: I move my pawn f4-f5.
Your turn.;)

Corelian: Yep thanks, though i already knew the castling.:)

KK said:

How? Even if computer didn't capture your pawn but just moved it one square down you would have been in trouble.

Not much trouble as i see it. (see my response to evert)

Good news: I just played another game on the same level(lasted about 4 hours(most of the time the computer was idle thinking) and i won.Yeah!:D

ReyBrujo
January 2001

Quote:

Ugh, I do hate coordenates. Why people can't use ye olde P5A (that may be P5B, since alfil in spanish is bishop in english)?

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」
Mitsuko's last words, Battle Royale

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Rey?
To make sure we're talking the same coordinates:

8   x   x   x   x
7 x   x   x   x  
6   x   x   x   x
5 x   x   x   x          
4   x   x   x   x       
3 x   x   x   x      
2   x   x   x   x
1 x   x   x   x  
  a b c d e f g h

ReyBrujo
January 2001

Yeah, but I am playing chess, not naval battles :P There is another system, where you say [piece][target], P5B you are saying you are moving a pawn 5 squares from the Bishop square. Of course, you may be too young to have ever heard of it :P

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」

Archon
Member #4,195
January 2004

Quote:

The computer's pawn threatend the area you were passing through. He must have scored a critical hit with his attack of opportunity - or, if the compuetr's pawn is an assasin and had enough time to study you, it might simply have been his deadly strike.

That wouldn't happen if Dennis gave all of his pawns Spring Attack.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I recall hearing people say "Pawn to Rook 4" or similar.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Crazy Photon
Member #2,588
July 2002

RB: I know what are you talking about :) I think here in South America most people still use that system (or at least here in Uruguay)

-----
Resistance is NEVER futile...

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

You're blue and you just moved e4-e3.

Ok, e3xd2+

Quote:

Not much trouble as i see it. (see my response to evert)

I fail to see your point, but we'll see, won't we?

EDIT

Quote:

Ugh, I do hate coordenates. Why people can't use ye olde P5A

Because algebraic notion is superior and easier? Anyway, he played PKB5 (Pawn to King's Bishop 5) and I played PQ7: (Pawn takes Queen's seventh).

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Evert said:

Ok, e3xd2+

I take it that 'x' means that you've slain my bishop with your pawn and the '+' means check... Hm... Ok
e1xd2 (slay your pawn with my king)

To that old notion: I don't get it.(Possibly someone could link to somewhere it is explained?)

[edit]
You can take your time with your next move... i'll be back in about 16 hours.
Now that i've set up the current situation on a real chess board next to my monitor, i'm not so sure to win anymore, that is, if i continue to play against myself, black always wins... but well, maybe you'll make a silly mistake:P.

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

I take it that 'x' means that you've slain my bishop with your pawn and the '+' means check..

Yes.

Quote:

e1xd2

Bd3xf5

Quote:

You can take your time with your next move... i'll be back in about 16 hours.

I'll be gone on sunday, so it's best to finish before then. On the other hand... I think I've made my point before that time.

Quote:

but well, maybe you'll make a silly mistake:P.

Unlikely, unless I have less than a minute to complete the game. ;)

ReyBrujo
January 2001

Main thing I hate about the navy battle coordenates is that you cannot see at a first glimpse if you took a piece or not. With the old notation, you can easily see what is happening with the x, +, ++, !, !!, ?, ??, 0-0, 0-0-0, ap and all those shortcuts. Do this system also use them?

(Edited: This is strange, now I read it is done this way, though everytime I read in the newspaper down here they don't even use the x to signal a capture, directly the pieces positions, like f5-f4, e4-f4).

Oh, and you are right Evert, I got the notation mixed when translating them from spanish (I thought I had to modify the order).

Quote:

PKB5

Since there is only pawn in a bishop line, you could have ommited the K to make it PB5. It is still strange to see a B there, though.

(Edited: See Descriptive chess notation for an explanation of how to use it).

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」

Steve Terry
Member #1,989
March 2002

Could be worse, I wrote a chess program long ago when I was first learning C, it was never completed but somehow after some moves the AI Queen would go berserk and disappear taking a few pieces with her, nice self destructing queen... I'm pretty sure it wasn't a legal move ;D

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Evert said:

Bd3xf5

I couldn't resist coming back early.
(I could delay the end of the game a little if i wanted: h5-f3;D)
But i won't. I surrender. You win!:)

Now i'm going to read those instruction on the old notion, thanks Rey.

[append]
I've prepared a monospaced board, just in case anyone wanted to play a whole game here on the forum:D...(not with me though, dial-up would get too expensive for that)

+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
8 | T |.H.| B |.Q.| K |.B.| H |.T.|
7 |.P.| P |.P.| P |.P.| P |.P.| P |
6 |   |...|   |...|   |...|   |...|
5 |...|   |...|   |...|   |...|   |
4 |   |...|   |...|   |...|   |...|
3 |...|   |...|   |...|   |...|   |
2 | p |.p.| p |.p.| p |.p.| p |.p.|
1 |.t.| h |.b.| q |.k.| b |.h.| t |
    a   b   c   d   e   f   g   h

(lower case=white, UPPER CASE=BLACK, p=pawn,t=tower,h=horse,b=bishop,q=queen,k=king)
(make sure you put the 'pre' tag around after copy 'n paste;))

Go to: