Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » WHAT THE FU..? Strange Chess Rules?!?

Credits go to da_flo and Hrvoje Ban for helping out!
This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
WHAT THE FU..? Strange Chess Rules?!?
ReyBrujo
January 2001

Playing chess without seeing the board, or playing lightning fast matches (5 minutes plus 10 second for every movement you have done).

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」
Mitsuko's last words, Battle Royale

spellcaster
Member #1,493
September 2001

Blind chess - play without having an actual board to look at
blitz - Blitzschach - just act, don't take time to think about your moves.

--
There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Kirr
Member #5,060
September 2004

It seems no one joins the game?

r . . q k . . r 
. p p . . p p p
p . n b . n . .
. . . p p . . .
. . . . . . b P
. P . B P . Q .
P B P P . P P .
R N . . K . N R *

I am not good in both blindfold and blitz. Actually I more enjoy analysis, endgame studies, chess programming, etc, rather than playing chess myself. :)

Beat this one in a minute to know if you can blitz.. :)

--
"Go to the NW of Stonemarket Plaza to the Blue Glyph Keeper Library door and enter."
- Lunabean's Thief Deadly Shadows Walkthrough, day eight

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

Beat this one in a minute to know if you can blitz.. :)

I know I can, but I tried anyway just for fun.
I bodged it badly, but fortunately it doesn't really matter. I'd forgotten that it cheats though! I claim a point! >:(

(my last move was Bxf7)

imaxcs
Member #4,036
November 2003

It took me around 10 minutes. 1 minute is insane... :)
Also, the my figures were hard to distinguish on my crappy LCD.

ReyBrujo
January 2001

I remember having won a game against a friend using four moves, first moving my King pawn, then the bishop to one side, the queen to the other, and finishing with the queen protected with the bishop.

But other than that, I cannot play that fast. In some chess tournaments I have seen a two vs two chess game. You sit with your partner to your side, both facing the contrary. One plays with white, the partner with black. As soon as you eat a piece of your opponent, you put it to the side, and your partner can pick it up and put it in his board as his piece. You have only one minute, and as soon as one of the clocks (yours or your partner's) reach it both lose. It is quite an experience to see it.

(Edited: Scholar's mate, that is)

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

r . . q k . . r*
. p p . . p p p
p . n b . n . .
. . . p p . . .
. . . . . . b P
. P N B P . Q .
P B P P . P P .
R . . . K . N R 

[FMC Studios] - [Caries Field] - [Ctris] - [Pman] - [Chess for allegroites]
Written laws are like spiders' webs, and will, like them, only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful will easily break through them. -Anacharsis
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

"En Passant" translates to "In Passing" in English, but I bet it'd be named "clotheslineing" like in American Football if it'd been invented lately:P

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

This game is getting interesting...
(I'm on the white team, that's why i couldn't make a move but i wanted to reply anyway to show that i'm still around.;))

Kirr
Member #5,060
September 2004

Yeah, getting interesting.. Dennis, did you want to make this move? ;)(What the white team will do now...)

r . . q k . . r
. p p . . p p p
p . n b . n . .
. . . p . . . .
. . . . p . b P
. P N B P . Q .
P B P P . P P .
R . . . K . N R * 

Arthur, most English speakers call it "en passant" anyway.

Quote:

Also, the my figures were hard to distinguish on my crappy LCD.

Mind that it's just 5kb in size, including graphics..

--
"Go to the NW of Stonemarket Plaza to the Blue Glyph Keeper Library door and enter."

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

r . . q k . . r *
. p p . . p p p
p . n Q . n . .
. . . p . . . .
. . . . p . b P
. P N B P . . .
P B P P . P P .
R . . . K . N R 

We will be loosing our queen, regardless of what we do, so i thought:
"Go lady put your last breath to good use!";D

Kirr
Member #5,060
September 2004

Yay, I like sacrifices! :) (I guess you could try to save the queen with f2-f4)

r . . . k . . r 
. p p . . p p p
p . n q . n . .
. . . p . . . .
. . . . p . b P
. P N B P . . .
P B P P . P P .
R . . . K . N R *

--

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

Better :)
http://x2.putfile.com/7/19715495646.jpg

Black to play.

[i attached a clean bmp version of the board so people can modify it]

Written laws are like spiders' webs, and will, like them, only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful will easily break through them. -Anacharsis
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

r . . . k . . r *
. p p . . p p p
p . n q . n . .
. . . p . . . .
. . . . p . b P
. P N . P . . .
P B P P . P P .
R . . . K B N R 

Kirr said:

(I guess you could try to save the queen with f2-f4)

Might have been worth the try but if i was black i would then have either taken the bishop on d3 or used "en passent" to kill the pawn on f4 and after that the queen would have been troubled again, of course she could then be moved back to f2 but i didn't see any use in having the queen there trapped inside the own rows.

Mithrandir:
Nice board but editing,uploading,relinking takes far too much time for my taste;).
[edit] oops, i see that you already had moved on your board sorry!:( (ignore my scheme above, our bishop sits(unfortunately) on e2 not f1)

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

Dennis, i'm sorry but i'm not quite sure white can move twice in a row ;) (i moved last and it was black's turn)

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Yeah, sorry again, my edit wasn't fast enough.;)
Here's the corrected text display:

r . . . k . . r *
. p p . . p p p
p . n q . n . .
. . . p . . . .
. . . . p . b P
. P N . P . . .
P B P P B P P .
R . . . K . N R 

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

Np. I also guess it's partly my fault because my first move was with the black, then i decided to go to the light side.

Kirr
Member #5,060
September 2004

r . . . k . . r 
. p p . . p p p
p . . q . n . .
. . . p . . . .
. n . . p . b P
. P N . P . . .
P B P P B P P .
R . . . K . N R *

Mithrandir, your diagram looks good, but it's too troublesome to edit and upload the bitmap. I think it would be cool it ML made a new tag [chess-diagram]...[/chess-diagram], which you would use just like now we use "pre", and that will render a nice graphical diagram.

Mithrandir said:

Np. I also guess it's partly my fault because my first move was with the black, then i decided to go to the light side.

Hmmm.. Your black move was OK, while your white move was a blunder.. This suggests that your nature belongs with the dark side.. :)

--

ReyBrujo
January 2001

Quote:

I think it would be cool it ML made a new tag [chess-diagram]...[/chess-diagram], which you would use just like now we use "pre", and that will render a nice graphical diagram.

I think he is barely keeping this thread open, don't ask for more ;D

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

r . . . k . . r *
. p p . . p p p
p . . q . n . .
. . . p . . . .
. n . . p . b P
. P N . P . . .
P B P P B P P .
R . . K . . N R 

Kirr
Member #5,060
September 2004

ReyBrujo, what's wrong with this thread? (except that it's totally derailed)

r . . . k . . r 
. p p . . p p p
p . . q . n . .
. . . p . b . .
. n . . p . . P
. P N . P . . .
P B P P B P P .
R . . K . . N R *

--

Jonny Cook
Member #4,055
November 2003

This thread is the spawn of Satan. That's what's wrong with it.

The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face.

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Quote:

(except that it's totally derailed)

You call playing chess in a thread about chess rules 'totally derailed'? :o

You, sir, really need to see the milk link in my sig. ;)

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Kirr
Member #5,060
September 2004

Hmm.. I can understand when people can be annoyed by political or religious threads, but to oppose chess is something new to me.. ???

Derezo, playing chess has nothing to do with the original question about en passant.

--

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Yes it does, Chess rules (en passant) are chess related. So is chess!
Not off topic at all, especially since the original question was answered. This is one of the most logical topic changes after that.

It hasn't derailed. The link in my sig is the definition of a derailed thread - from a milk drinking contest to discussing how the earth could be shaped likea torus. De. Railed. Derailed. ;D

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Go to: