Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Post your Desktop!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Post your Desktop!
Ultio
Member #1,336
April 2001

Breakman: I find your setup of speakers in front of the monitor very disturbing. Especially the one in the middle. :-X

---
"It's nice knowing that someday, the software I write will just be pirated by millions of people." :-/
http://loomsoft.net | Zep's Dreamland | Allegro Newbie Tutorials

raist0069
Member #2,736
September 2002

My desktop.

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

I made mine myself two months ago for fictive companies exhibition - we were presenting company which produces robots of any kind and I had my laptop there for presenting videos. Try to guess from which it came from.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Kanzure
Member #3,669
July 2003

Workstation; The media station, server, game thing, and other computer aren't worth showing.

Sevalecan
Member #4,686
June 2004

TeamTerradactyl: SevalecanDragon: I should shoot you for even CONSIDERING coding like that, but I was ROFLing too hard to stand up. I love it!
My blog about computer nonsense, etc.

Oscar Giner
Member #2,207
April 2002

http://usuario.tiscali.es/oginer/files/desktop_s.jpg

Yes, I like 3D girls :P (last screenshot I posted I had Shanhua from Shenmue II)

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

This is a lot like my desktop:

http://www.imagehosting.us/imagehosting/showimg.jpg/?id=484419&.jpg

Thing of note: my screen is 3:2 ratio, not 4:3.

Except that I ordinarily have the dock (the thing on the left) on hiding mode, so it spends most of its time hidden.

One of the nicest things about my desktop: the Mac OS "spring loaded folders" and the Hard Disc icon. If you drag stuff and hold it over a folder (or the hard disc icon) then after a few seconds that folder is automatically opened as though you had double clicked it. Very useful! Presumably several of the X managers do that too?

Explanations of the features on screen: the bar at the top is the file bar that most systems associate with every window. In Mac OS the bar that goes with the currently active application appears at the top. I currently have the Finder active, which is the thing that runs the desktop like non-Internet explorer in Windows.

The leftmost picture of an Apple is constant and known as the Apple menu. It includes items for setting system preferences (a bit like the control panel but less full on), getting basic machine specs, etc.

The top right is the thing a bit like the system tray in Windows. The icon with red eyes is Adium, an MSN replacement. The red eyes signify that I have a message I haven't responded to yet. The next icon along shows that the driver for my bluetooth PC card is currently functioning. After that is a small thing for manipulating displays. It lets me switch colour depths and resolutions quickly, much like Quickres in Win9x. Next is an icon signifying that I have the Classic environment running at present, then a thing showing my network strength (wifi), an icon showing that my laptop is plugged in and has 98% battery charge, a Union Flag signifying that I have localisation set to UK, the time and date, a bluetooth thing for controlling all that and the Spotlight icon.

The Classic environment is the way one runs OS 9 and below applications in OS X. It's actually a copy of that operating system running as an OS X application. Spotlight is Apple's desktop search.

On the left is the dock. It is at the bottom by default, but my screen is much wider than tall, so I moved it. Icons for all running applications appear in the dock, and the user can tell the icons for applications they commonly use to stay there permanently. Running applications have a black arrow to their left pointing rightward. If you move your mouse over that area of the screen then if the icons are below a size you've specified and you want the feature then they grow as your mouse moves over them. They also display the name of their application to their right. The top icon is the Finder. Below that is Firefox, then iTunes, Adium (showing that I've got an unanswered message from Sam), XCode, the terminal (i.e. bash), Microsoft Word, GIMP, Photoshop (version 6 for OS 9, hence my use of the Classic environment which I just have set to start when the OS does) and iPhoto.

Then there is a horizontal bar. Below that the user can store links to folders and files, and the icons for minimised versions of applications you are using also appear in this area. The top thing is a link to my 'Applications' folder. If I right click it then all its contents are displayed. This gives something very similar to the Start menu in Windows as the standard packaging for applications in OS X is packages that look like single icons and can be executed by double clicking but are actually folder hierarchies. Installing and uninstalling is done by dragging icons to the applications folder or dragging to the trash.

Below that is a link to my home folder. Then a minimised Firefox window. In OS X the minimised icons are a scaled version of the application window plus a small copy of the icon of the application in the bottom right. You'll see I'm also running Adium. The trash can appears at the very bottom - it's exactly the same as the recycle bin in Windows.

I have only two icons on the desktop. The first is the Hard Disc shortcut, which I mainly use for file redistribution via the spring loaded folders described above. Below that is a bluetooth file exchange program shortcut which I could keep in the dock but instead place on the desktop. That's because dragging files and dropping them onto it cause them to be transmitted by bluetooth so it just feels right to keep it over there.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

add &.png to the end of the URL to make sure go.php doesn't add frames, so people like me can view it inline :P

Crazy Photon
Member #2,588
July 2002

I forgot to comment on my desktop...

1) Bar at the left. Usually I alternate between the top or the left, I find the standard position uncomfortable.

2) Dock bar at the top. I hate the desktop being full of icons, it's too clumsy and I have to hide all windows if I want to access anything there, so I created a toolbar for that. I also created different categories for stuff, like Internet, Programming, Games, etc. Sometimes I set this toolbar to autohide but not lately as NFS seems to have problems with that.

3) MSVDM (MS Virtual Desktop Manager). It emulates the Linux one, altough it's somewhat less flexible. At least it's something though :) it's part of the Windows XP Power Toys, so you gan get it for free.

4) Wallpaper: It's Naru, from Love Hina. I usually use scifi pics but I liked this anime wallpapers.

5) System Tray Icons. You can see Skype, MSN, Zonealarm, Cacheman (817 MBs of 1.2 GBs free 8-) ), GMail Notifier, PeerGuardian and SrokeIt (for mouse gestures, very nice one, specially in flexibility and it's very lightweight)

-----
Resistance is NEVER futile...

Sevalecan
Member #4,686
June 2004

I'm not even to bother commenting mine. :P

I'll let someone else do that ;)

As for the rest of you, send me all your 3d girls \o/ .

TeamTerradactyl: SevalecanDragon: I should shoot you for even CONSIDERING coding like that, but I was ROFLing too hard to stand up. I love it!
My blog about computer nonsense, etc.

Crazy Photon
Member #2,588
July 2002

Quote:

As for the rest of you, send me all your 3d girls

Seconded :)

-----
Resistance is NEVER futile...

James Howard
Member #262
April 2000

My desktop
Yes that is my hand, and that really was my money..

edit: for some reason I'm having problems attaching the image to the post.. oh well

----
Check out my final year university project 'Warring States', a 3-D multiplayer RTS game:
http://warring-states.blogspot.com/

Mokkan
Member #4,355
February 2004

Here's mine ;D.

kazzmir
Member #1,786
December 2001

Muawhaa
http://www.rafkind.com/jon/tmp/screen.jpg

Ultio
Member #1,336
April 2001

kazzmir: You forgot to add a VNC session to your Mac. :)

---
"It's nice knowing that someday, the software I write will just be pirated by millions of people." :-/
http://loomsoft.net | Zep's Dreamland | Allegro Newbie Tutorials

ReyBrujo
January 2001

Well, since we are with VNC connections, here is my desktop and my workstation at work through VNC :P (low quality jpg)

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」
Mitsuko's last words, Battle Royale

Kanzure
Member #3,669
July 2003

Quote:

Muawhaa

But it doesn't make sense. :(
Where'd you get the Windows XP theme for your Linux desktop?
Or are you using a Linux theme for Windows XP?
I'm so confused. :P

Archon
Member #4,195
January 2004

Bryan Bishop: Many WMs have a Windows XP theme. There is also XPDE.

Kanzure
Member #3,669
July 2003

Quote:

Bryan Bishop: Many WMs have a Windows XP theme. There is also XPDE.

Fluxbox doesn't have an XP theme. :P;)

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Quote:

Yes that is my hand, and that really was my money..

I'm confused -- the image stops loading about 200 pixels down in Firefox.

Just for the record though, in my screenshot that is my "hand" and that really is my money ;D

(currently at a profit of $806.65 USD for the day, started with $100 and have $906.65 ;D PLUS I bought a shirt with the frequent player points, and have more points now to buy something else! :D :D
Poker is awesome... I currently have: 2 baseball hats, 1 stress star, 1 duffle bag, 5 cotton shirts (2 more coming), one female spaghetti strap, one female tank top, one female baseball shirt, 6 stainless steel travel mugs [I loves them], and a fleece sweater on it's way. All "free" ;D).

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Quote:

one female spaghetti strap

ooohhh... send me a pic ;););)

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

[url http://www.pokerstars.com/FPPStore/Detailed/067.jpg]

There ya go!

..sicko...

;)

My sister wears that one, my mom wears the tank top, and my cousin wears the baseball shirt.

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

jhuuskon
Member #302
April 2000

I think that's less sick than the fetishists with their 3d girls. ::)

You don't deserve my sig.

phate
Member #2,235
April 2002

Here is my Kubuntu Desktop: [IMG http://binarygrind.com/files/kubuntu.png]
its new. I like i much more then Gnome.

Derezo: Do you gamble real money online??

-----
For my next trick... ah fark it.
[Website][Twitter]

imaxcs
Member #4,036
November 2003

Go to: