Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » 2 pronged question regarding PDAs

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
2 pronged question regarding PDAs
SonShadowCat
Member #1,548
September 2001

I've been thinking of getting a PDA lately after playing with Smc's pda( I don't know anything about them which is why I'm asking here). The reason why I want to get a new one and not use hers is that hers uses the palm os and not windows ce, I did manage to get a compiler for her pda but I'm pretty sure I can't get allegro on it. I had heard that allegro works with windows ce( though I can't verify that, I've looked at the allegro page and it doesn't specify if it works under ce). I would also plan on using it for school( not enough cash for a laptop and a pda would be just as useful) and getting the new holographic keyboards that are going to come out.

But anyway, my questions are: What are some of the good PDAs out there that run windows ce( price isn't too much of a concern as long as it's under $400 or so) and does allegro work under windows ce?

Thank you.

Edit: I found this page http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/devices/pocketpc/ppc/americas.mspx

Though I can't decide so far which is best...

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

Gapi is the pocketpc game api.

So far as I know you can't compile on a wince device, that's one reason I got a linux based pda. I have java and gcc compilers on it although only sdl is available on it.

It really isn't practical to actually code on the thing. The display is just too small (mine is 640x480 16 bit color depth).

What's this 'holographic keyboard' you mentioned?

SonShadowCat
Member #1,548
September 2001

Quote:

What's this 'holographic keyboard' you mentioned?

I saw it a magazine about that convention they had just recently( I forget it's name, something consumer. It was about electronics that were going to come out). Basically, it displays a keyboard onto any flat surface in front of it and uses a laser perhaps( I don't remember) to detect the persons fingers to determine which keys hes pressing.

Quote:

So far as I know you can't compile on a wince device, that's one reason I got a linux based pda. I have java and gcc compilers on it although only sdl is available on it.

There are linux PDAs? O.O

It'd be good for making changes or looking over your code while you're at school, on the road, etc. I'd also like to port anything I make over to the pda.

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

There's a C compiler/resource editor/source editor for Palm OS. I mean onboard...

--
Tomasu: Every time you read this: hugging!

Ryan Patterson - <http://cgamesplay.com/>

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

why not go on ebay and get a semi-older laptop for $400ish? 3 years ago I got my thinkpad 770z for $400. 366mhz w/ 128mb ram. You can get much better deals now, perhaps around 1ghz or so

SonShadowCat
Member #1,548
September 2001

No there isn't....I looked inside every menu on that thing and found nothing. And this shareware compiler only lasts 1 1/2 months...

Edit: I know nothing about laptops either :D. So I wouldn't know if I'm ripping myself off or not plus I might get a defective laptop from the person.

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Laptops aren't all that much different from regular desktop PCs.
I'd recommend a laptop over a PDA, but it depends what you're using it for. I think of PDA's as electronic black books, for which a laptop is by far overkill.

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

SonShadowCat
Member #1,548
September 2001

From a quick peek at ebay I found this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31542&item=6750534250&rd=1

Too bad the bidding is ending( price jumped up $100 in last 2 minutes). For that cheap....I would get a laptop and just install linux onto it. What I really want though, is a latop with an SD card port( use it as backup for my files).

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

that laptop looked nice. Make sure it lists no defects for the screen or anything you dotn want to fix, and its guaranteed not to be DoA or have a warranty. Why put linux on it? Linux on laptops is usually hit or miss. Took me days to get it going on mine. All that propitery ibm hardware is mostly windows oriented.

SonShadowCat
Member #1,548
September 2001

Well, then I'd put win 2k on it. No way I'd want XP....

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

why? not juding, just wondering whats wrong with XP.

SonShadowCat
Member #1,548
September 2001

Smc uses XP on her pc and I hate using it because it seems to run slower than my pc. Besides, 2k is generally regarded as safer and better at handling it's memory not to mention I've been using it for years and I've grown to love it.

phate
Member #2,235
April 2002

Keyboard SSC was talking about is this: [url http://www.itechdynamic.com/html/border25.htm]

I played with it at CES. My company, Savant, plans on having it as an accessory for our Slate.

As for the PDA: for $400 you can get a decent used/new laptop on ebay for the price of a new PDA and you'd be better off. While I love my PDA (Toshiba e405 Pocket PC w/ Windows Mobile 2k3 SE) it sits unused alot accept when I have to go somewhere where I don't have a network connection, and a laptop (or my Slate, Yes, I am a company whore.;D) would seem either bulky or out of place, like a movie theatre or grocery store. Your better off with a laptop.

As for programming your PDA, you have to program on your workstation and then transfer to the PDA to see if your app works. While the Palm has a few 'on-board' compilers (mostly just C-like scripting languages) none are fast, and usable for making games:P. This doesn't apply to Linux PDAs like the Sharp or an iPaq running Linux.

I have a semi-working (thats an understatement...) of Allegro that runs on WinCE/WinMobile. You can draw to the screen but you don't ever actually see it;D.

-----
For my next trick... ah fark it.
[Website][Twitter]

SonShadowCat
Member #1,548
September 2001

phate
Member #2,235
April 2002

-----
[Website][Twitter]

SonShadowCat
Member #1,548
September 2001

I didn't see any hardware specs in that post nor on the website. Is it still a guarded secret or something?

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

Very cool! And yes, what are the specs on it? Price?

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

..... XP is built off 2k. It has the same (and more) safety features and such. If you turn off eye candy, it will run faster too.

razor
Member #2,256
April 2002

Quote:

..... XP is built off 2k. It has the same (and more) safety features and such. If you turn off eye candy, it will run faster too.

Yeah, basically you just disable a few services and you have 2k (the security center being the first thing to go).

Whoooo Oregon State University

phate
Member #2,235
April 2002

SSC, Nonnus, everyone else: [url http://tronic.com.sg/pmg_specification.php] Those are the base specs.

Savant Slate - Standard Config
---------------
PROCESSOR:</b> Via Eden @1.5GHz
MEMORY:</b> 512MB DDR
Max at 2GB

HARD Drive:</b> 80GB

NETWORK:</b> Ethernet
802.11G
Bluetooth

Linux (Everything works too!)

BATTERY: 4-5 hours depending on usage.

GRAPHICS: S3 UniChrome with 64MB of its own RAM, DX9 Compliant.

DRIVE: External DVD/CDRW Combo drive (USB2)

-----
[Website][Twitter]

SonShadowCat
Member #1,548
September 2001

Looks pretty nice I must say. It includes both XP and linux?

How much is it set to cost?

phate
Member #2,235
April 2002

It can run XP and Linux. Linux isn't officially supported yet. But it does work. IE Gentoo/Mandrake/Fedora Core 2 install and run perfectly. The only issue with it is that to get the front buttons to work your have to tell linux you have a six button, 2 axis joypad. Also the screen rotation doesn't work either. thats why linux isn't officially supported yet. we are going to fix it.

As for price we are aiming for $850 - $950, possibly lower as time goes on.

-----
[Website][Twitter]

SonShadowCat
Member #1,548
September 2001

Pretty good price for a good looking system.

Also, what other vid cards would you compare the one on the slate to?

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

Hmm, the site says 1 gHz processor...

Also, I'd take xp home to drop $100 dollars off the price.

Very cool though; good luck with it!

edit; oh yeah, how will it be distributed? Mail order? Retail?

SonShadowCat
Member #1,548
September 2001

The one on the site is not the same as the one phate posted. Same abse model and all I suppose but with slightly different specs.

I'd take XP off to cut the price a few hundred bucks...

1   2 

Go to: