Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Post thou thine desktop!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Post thou thine desktop!
Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

Here's mine

It was actually about time to update the dump I had on my website...
My contact list has almost doubled.

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

Here's mine. That's a dual display system, in case you're wondering why it looks funny. I got so used to that second screen, I wouldn't want to work without it...

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

Archon
Member #4,195
January 2004

Quote:

Here's mine. That's a dual display system, in case you're wondering why it looks funny. I got so used to that second screen, I wouldn't want to work without it...

Dual screens. Does that mean a full window takes up both monitors or can you put windows in 2 different 'desktops' like Linux?

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

It's basically one huge desktop, and I can drag windows around all the way I like. Only if I maximize a window, it will maximize to one display only, not both (which it really can't, because they're not equally-sized; hence the black rectangle). I can, however, make very wide windows that stretch over both displays. Usually, I use the large display to work in some program, and open documentation and help files on the smaller one. Pretty cool really. For music productions, I open the sound card's mixer and an explorer window (and maybe some auxiliary programs like cd-burning or mp3 packing apps) on the small display and the main recording program on the large display.
And DX and OpenGL only work on the primary display (the larger one), and only in XP (not 98SE, where the primary display is the smaller one).
And there seems to be some issue between one of the graphics cards and my (professional studio) audio card; whenever I use 3d functions, or the screensaver kicks in, the audio card ceases to work, and I need to reboot. Argh.
[edit]
see attached picture for a window across screens...

---
---

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

This is what my desktop looks like at work. It's not too different from what it looks like at home, only has more windows open generally.

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

Heh, that's quite a crammed desktop I'd say!

---
---

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

William: Go here and put in 1024 bytes to see how long it takes to download 1mb from my server (which has bafsoft.com).

I get my full cable modem cap, 3mbit, downloading from it.

[edit] Heh. Check mine before i had to reboot to make windows recognize my new monitor. Only 53 windows open:P here

Thank God for window grouping :P

Kirr
Member #5,060
September 2004

Multimonitor is cool, I'll have it some day. And it can get crazy too.. :)

--
"Go to the NW of Stonemarket Plaza to the Blue Glyph Keeper Library door and enter."
- Lunabean's Thief Deadly Shadows Walkthrough, day eight

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

So here's mine laptop desktop (pretty nice ape isn't it ;D ), you'd better not see my PC desktop ;)
Mithrandir nice picture from Prague Castle. I love that promenade there's cool view on Prague

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Corelian
Member #3,376
March 2003

Transparent consoles are cool! In fact every *nix user should have transparent consoles! ;)

Enclosed is a new screenshot of my desktop, which shows off my transparent consoles. ;D

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

OICW said:

Mithrandir nice picture from Prague Castle. I love that promenade there's cool view on Prague

Yeah, Prague is so nice it aint at all difficult to get cool photos :)

Kitty Cat, nice desktop background.

[FMC Studios] - [Caries Field] - [Ctris] - [Pman] - [Chess for allegroites]
Written laws are like spiders' webs, and will, like them, only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful will easily break through them. -Anacharsis
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

phate
Member #2,235
April 2002

I'm surprised how many ppl are running XP but are still using the Default Luna theme. You should all have a snazzy theme like mine.

-----
For my next trick... ah fark it.
[Website][Twitter]

kronoman
Member #2,911
November 2002

hazul
Member #4,338
February 2004

Why did I know it has bikes before I opened it? :D

"Multiplayer is actually the best way of not programming a good AI" -ReyBrujo

HoHo
Member #4,534
April 2004

Nothing to see here. It's my dull kde default desktop with practically no widgets except gkrellm.

Downscaled to 75%, still rather big(~300k)

Marco Radaelli
Member #3,028
December 2002

Oh, well, here's mine. I should get a wallpaper ::)

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Quote:

Derezo has money on his desktop!

Yeah. I was expecting a teeny tiny deposit for a security verification.. but it turned out to be a withdraw of > $15. ... called my bank. They're useless. I'm switching after I'm finished school. >:(

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

BAF:

Quote:

Test results:
1048576 bytes in 3.36661195755 seconds.
Approx. 304.16335856693 KB/sec or approx. 2.3762762388041 mbit

And that's after 3 times. It got steadily faster ;)
I timed it myself as well. There seems to be an odd "overhead" because it takes 11 seconds from click to DONE.

And yes, dual monitors is very useful. Expensive shivers but useful.

Kanzure
Member #3,669
July 2003

No desktop from me yet. I'm using TMW, I'm kind of embarrased, although I like the insanely fast boot time. :)

Evert, I like your style.
Ultio, great theme. :)
Corelian, nice buttons.

I thought there would be more Linux users..
And, I guess I was a minority. Only a handful of Win98 users?
You people make me want to purchase a second monitor for double display. You people make me sick. :P

Kitty Cat
Member #2,815
October 2002

Quote:

Transparent consoles are cool! In fact every *nix user should have transparent consoles! ;)

Surely you mean translucent :P And I used to, until I figured I didn't want to waste the extra CPU (it's not hw accelerated, after all) and that some of my backgrounds just made text hard to read (only way to fix it was to make it more opaque.. so much so that I might as well not have had a translucent background).

--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will pee on your computer." -- Bruce Graham

Ultio
Member #1,336
April 2001

Theme? 'Tis no theme! Unless you're referring to the Samus obsession. If so, then thank you. :)

---
"It's nice knowing that someday, the software I write will just be pirated by millions of people." :-/
http://loomsoft.net | Zep's Dreamland | Allegro Newbie Tutorials

Nivoc
Member #5,383
January 2005

This is my desktop at work

-----------
Current project: Space Cadet

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

Wasn't expensive at all. I already had what I needed from my old machine; you don't need anything fancy / expensive for the second monitor. Just an old PCI graphics card (mine: Elsa Winner 2000/3D 4MB) along with your brand-new kick-ass AGP card (mine's not brand new: GF Ti4200 128MB), although not all (old) chipsets can do multi-monitor. My secondary display runs at 640x480, so a 14" screen is just fine.
You won't get hardware acceleration on the secondary display anyway. That is, unless both monitors are driven by the same graphics card, but then it can get quite expensive; and in that case, I'd recommend two identical monitors to enjoy the multi-monitor gaming experience ;D
You can, though, connect a CRT and a TFT screen to the same card.
Oh yeah, and you'll need 98se or xp, other versions won't support multi-monitor (properly). Even 98se is a bit tricky. MacOS, as expected, usually has no problems with it. No idea about Linux though.

---
---

Mika Halttunen
Member #760
November 2000

Here's mine. I cleaned it up just for you, guys! :)
Though there's still some icons I never use, oh well...

---------------------------------------------
.:MHGames | @mhgames_ :.

Rob Fletcher
Member #2,830
October 2002

Mika, where's that rad background from? I love that kind of picture. Huge, steampunky contraption.

Rob

Go to: