Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Star Wars People Look Here!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
Star Wars People Look Here!
gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

It's just personal taste I guess, but Kendo, just like fencing, is too much sport and too little martial art for my taste. You're not learning swordfighting, you're learning how to play Kendo...

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Kirr
Member #5,060
September 2004

I know that, but it's OK to start with. You will need a way into it, playing kendo is alright way to get basics. And it's also fun. Also, if you do well and have a right attitude, you can expect a teacher will introduce you to the art.

I know kendo is pop, but it's better than sitting here staring to this monitor. :)

--
"Go to the NW of Stonemarket Plaza to the Blue Glyph Keeper Library door and enter."
- Lunabean's Thief Deadly Shadows Walkthrough, day eight

spellcaster
Member #1,493
September 2001

Ich hab mal ein Jahr oder so Iai-Do betrieben. Hat Spass gemacht. Ein Bekannter von mir ist recht gut im Ken-Jutsu.
Beim Kendo kam ich mir persönlich immer etwas veralbert vor. Ist wohl wirklich eine Geschmackssache.

--
There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

The point is that whatever you learn in kendo is going to be more or less useless if you're fighting someone who didn't also study kendo. Like gnolam says; it's not really "how to fight with swords", it's "how to dance with someone else, only with swords, occasionally poking them". Anyone who really wants to fight and isn't concerned with rules is likely going to cut right through whatever you can put up.

To quote Pterry:

Quote:

The Marquis of Fantailler got into many fights in his youth, most of them as a result of being known as the Marquis of Fantailler, and wrote a set of rules for what he termed 'the noble art of fisticuffs', which mostly consisted of a list of places where people weren't allowed to hit him. Many people were impressed by his work and later stood with noble chest out-thrust and fists balled in a spirit of manly aggression against people who hadn't read the Marquis's book but did know how to knock people senseless with a chair. The last words of a surprisingly large number of people were 'Stuff the bloody Marquis of Fantailler—'

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

Kirr
Member #5,060
September 2004

Quote:

The point is that whatever you learn in kendo is going to be more or less useless if you're fighting someone who didn't also study kendo. Like gnolam says; it's not really "how to fight with swords", it's "how to dance with someone else, only with swords, occasionally poking them". Anyone who really wants to fight and isn't concerned with rules is likely going to cut right through whatever you can put up.

That total nonsense. Where you got this idea of kendo? "occasionally poking"? ;D :o When that sword comes to your helmet I'm not sure you will say like this. Kendo is exactly about this "cutting right through". At least here, at its origin.

I have my own problems with kendo, the biggest one is too light sword. It makes completely different dynamic of all movements. It becomes too fast and unsmooth. But that's completely minor thing comparing with doing it vs. not doing.

I assure you. Someone who did study kendo will beat five of ones who did not.

Kendo is in some sense beautiful. Everything is left somewhere, just you, your opponent, your sword and his sword. No any thinking, or you will not react fast enough. It may look like a dance, but to just see that dance tells you nothing about how it feels like to do it yourself.

And the teacher - this is what's important. My one was just magician, there he stands with his sword, and I feel OK, but the next moment BAM!, he is here already. :) It's pure mystery, and he is willing to teach you.

--
"Go to the NW of Stonemarket Plaza to the Blue Glyph Keeper Library door and enter."

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

I wish I had taken German 4...

Aharon Hillel
Member #3,980
October 2003

OK, I give you a link

I'm not a star-wars fan, but in this page you find two fine star-wars 3D games.

it's all good...

http://www.bruneras.com/images/splash_battle_yavin.jpg
The Battle of Yavin 1.1

http://www.bruneras.com/images/splash_battle_endor.jpg
The Battle of Endor 2.1

...AND IT'S FREE

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Kirr said:

That total nonsense. Where you got this idea of kendo? "occasionally poking"? ;D :o When that sword comes to your helmet I'm not sure you will say like this. Kendo is exactly about this "cutting right through". At least here, at its origin.

To quote Snow Crash (since Neal Stephenson is better with words than I am ;)):

Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash said:

Kendo is to real samurai swordfighting what fencing is to real swashbuckling: an attempt to take a highly disorganized, chaotic, violent and brutal conflict and turn it into a cute game. As in fencing, you're only supposed to attack certain parts of the body - the parts that are protected by armor. As in fencing, you're not allowed to kick your opponent in the kneecaps or break a chair over his head. And the judging is totally subjective. In kendo, you can get a good solid hit on your opponent and still not get credit for it, because the judges feel you didn't possess the right amount of zanshin.

So I much prefer the buckler-breaking sport of European-style steel fighting, where you don't go for points but instead go all out with blunted weapons for a "kill" :)

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

spellcaster
Member #1,493
September 2001

Personally I really prefer the Phillipino style... as did the classic Jedi as you can see in Episode 2 ;)
If it has to be Japanese, I'd prefer Iai-Do over Kendo, and Ken-Jutsu over Iai-Do.

--

Sirocco
Member #88
April 2000

I told the wifey several months ago to pick me up some pixelblocks for xmas... I want to decorate the office with little Montag and Zeb statues ;)

-->
Graphic file formats used to fascinate me, but now I find them rather satanic.

Kirr
Member #5,060
September 2004

Quote:

Kendo is to real samurai swordfighting what fencing is to real swashbuckling: an attempt to take a highly disorganized, chaotic, violent and brutal conflict and turn it into a cute game. As in fencing, you're only supposed to attack certain parts of the body - the parts that are protected by armor. As in fencing, you're not allowed to kick your opponent in the kneecaps or break a chair over his head. And the judging is totally subjective. In kendo, you can get a good solid hit on your opponent and still not get credit for it, because the judges feel you didn't possess the right amount of zanshin.

I also don't like kendo ruling system. But I just don't take it as a 'cute game'. You know it does not that much matter what you study. It's your attitude that matters, how much of yourself you dedicate to what you're doing, and you will gain accordingly.

And I am not saying that kendo is superior. Actually currently I'm not doing much of kendo, but other things. My point was just that kendo is not bad to start with. Preferably combined with some sort of unarmed combat, of course.

Are you arguing that we should not do kendo, but something else? Or we should stay home reading books? Kendo at least helps you develop some very basic body control and reactions. Even if you fail to grasp the essense, it will make you healthy at least (including mentally). And gradually something will start appearing on your internal screen.

Quote:

So I much prefer the buckler-breaking sport of European-style steel fighting, where you don't go for points but instead go all out with blunted weapons for a "kill"

You prefer it and then what? Do you practice it in the morning and in the evening? Did you find someone good at it and convinced him to teach you?

I have no problem about european steelfight, I feel good about it. Just I haven't met in person someone skilled in it. While I have met a few people skilled in kendo, iai-do and some more things.

Quote:

If it has to be Japanese, I'd prefer Iai-Do over Kendo, and Ken-Jutsu over Iai-Do.

Iai-do and ken-jutsu are good, I think so. As good as your teacher is. BTW they don't substitute each other, but come together. Many ways lead to the same summit, take the one that seems better to you. After all, it's all about love and energy, not a fighting at all, even when it looks like.

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to educate anyone here. Just there was talk of swords. :) And that computer nerds happily waving light-sticks in the air, that is funny. Jedi knights, right. :)

--

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Quote:

Are you arguing that we should not do kendo, but something else?

No. We're arguing that whatever kendo is, sport, personal development, whatever, it's not swordfighting in any proper sense of the word. Swordplay, yes. Swordfighting? Sod the bloody Marquis of Fantailler...

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

Those games are neat finds, but unfortuantly the games are missing quite a bit. If you look at all the screenshots (on some other website) there's missing textures all over the place, :-/

I have some star wars game for the GameCube anyway. Isn't really fun to play, like I've found with most LucasArts games, but oh well.

spellcaster
Member #1,493
September 2001

Quote:

We're arguing that whatever kendo is, sport, personal development, whatever, it's not swordfighting in any proper sense of the word.

Well, if we agree that the shinai is a sword, it's sword fighting. But as implied by the "do" it's mainly a way to become a better person.

The phillipino styles on the other hand mainly teach you how to survive a sword fight. Simple, straight forward and dangerous as hell ;)

Quote:

BTW they don't substitute each other, but come together

Um, no.

--

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Quote:

$120 for a toy? :o

I paid 120 for my Omega Supreme. ;D

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Breakman79
Member #1,236
April 2001

Quote:

I paid 120 for my Omega Supreme. ;D

Damn, isn't that about twice as much as it originally cost? I can't quite remember because I was eight when I got one for my birtday. Too bad it's in pretty bad shape now. Hmm..I wonder if anyone on ebay is selling parts.

RallyMonkey
Member #4,615
May 2004

Quote:

Omega Supreme.

Sounds like something from the menu at Taco Bell.

NOTICE: This post's grammar/spelling/puncuation is definitive. English is frequently inaccurate.
---
"Puppet Sex!!!!" - Goalie Ca

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Quote:

Damn, isn't that about twice as much as it originally cost?

Oh, at least. But it's mint and boxed and the prize of my collection. 8-)

Paid 80 for Metroplex. Every other Transformer I've bought was 40 or less.

Quote:

Sounds like something from the menu at Taco Bell.

http://www.seibertron.com/cotm/200209/OmegaSupreme_p002.jpg

And Taco Bell sux.

Quote:

Omega Supreme says "4LL YO '|'4C0 B3LL2 AR3 B3L0NG TO M3"

Little blue toy "NOO! WE NEED TACOS AND BURRITOS FOR FUEL"

lollerskates!!1one

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

Omega Supreme says "4LL YO '|'4C0 B3LL2 AR3 B3L0NG TO M3"

Little blue toy "NOO! WE NEED TACOS AND BURRITOS FOR FUEL"

Breakman79
Member #1,236
April 2001

Damn, you've got Metroplex too. How about Trypticon? I always wanted that big dino when I was a kid. The only other thing that would have put me in TF heaven was if the Japanese Unicron prototype had been released. :'(

Hmm..yes, Omega Supreme does sound like something from Taco Bell, but with a name like that I'm sure people would be dropping dead in the bathroom left and right.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

I've only seen one Trypticon in recent years, and I didn't grab it. I don't have any Decepticon bases, which kind of sucks. I've seen Unicrons on sale though; is the Japanese version different?

Coincidentally, I bought a Smokescreen today on a whim while at Wal-Mart. First TF I've bought in ages. Awesome old-school toy ...

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

RallyMonkey
Member #4,615
May 2004

Quote:

And Taco Bell sux.

Just because it sucks, doesn't mean I'm wrong.

NOTICE: This post's grammar/spelling/puncuation is definitive. English is frequently inaccurate.
---
"Puppet Sex!!!!" - Goalie Ca

TeddyBear
Member #5,077
September 2004

The Pixel thing looks cool i want one :)

1   2 

Go to: