Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Java video game programming

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Java video game programming
23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Any good link to tutorials on making simple video games with Java?
I tried Googling but just got links to books and I'm feeling cheap at the moment. :P

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

Ummm, you make games in Java the same way you make them in C/C++ except you use the Java API junk for drawing, sound, etc...

Synapse Jumps
Member #3,073
December 2002

Quote:

Ummm, you make games in Java the same way you make them in C/C++ except you use the Java API junk for drawing, sound, etc...

I assume he wants something about the Java API ::)

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

I know but I've not quite wrapped my head around the Java way of doing things ... plus the Java API is overwhelming. :) I'd like my hand held for a bit ...

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Kanzure
Member #3,669
July 2003

Torbjörn Josefsson
Member #1,048
September 2000

There are books about this - about things like; faster graphics, sfx, music, using Java2d, etc. - I'm thinking of buying one of those, myself

..I just have to gather the strength to read through the Last game-programming book I bought :)

--
Specialization is for insects

spellcaster
Member #1,493
September 2001

Which java API? The current version, including the fullscreen API, the mobile API, or the old 1.1 API used for applets (since it's the most compatible)?

--
There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Quote:

Which java API?

So much for "write once, run anywhere" then? :)

Applets for now, I suppose. I'm curious for a friend who wants a simple game on his website ...

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

DanielH
Member #934
January 2001

There are a couple of books out there on making java based games. I can't remember the names though. :-/

spellcaster
Member #1,493
September 2001

Quote:

So much for "write once, run anywhere" then?

Well the older / smaller APIs will work almost everywhere :)

Ok, if you want to code for java 1.1, I can mail you some source code of my java games. they are pretty old, but they should show you how to do simple games in java 1.1.

PM me if you're interested.

Edit: I have to check if I still find my example code I wrote for the "java magazin" articles...

--

Daniel Sauder
Member #4,762
June 2004

Try this one:
http://fivedots.coe.psu.ac.th/~ad/jg/
Had just a quick view on it, but seems to be a complete book about java game programming.

spellcaster
Member #1,493
September 2001

It uses jdk 1.4, he is aiming for jdk 1.1

--

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

1. There's a 1.1 AWT tutorial I wrote in my 'retired site' in my sig with source code.
2. Try this site, click on articles then check the 'Space Invaders 101, 102, 103, and 104. These are cool because they go over java2d/fullscreen, jogl, and lwjgl to implement the same game. edit; looks like lwjgl isn't on there yet...
3. I had alot of other links but mozilla ate my bookmarks :'(

If my javascript/applet gamedev ide were in a usable state you could use it (java 1.4 only though because of rhino).

kentl
Member #2,905
November 2002

If your not feeling cheap later on and have an interest in learning the J2ME platform and make som mobile phone games, then i really recommend J2ME Game Programming, i have it and it´s a very nice book.

Go to: