Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Game Design & Concepts » Good places for free graphics? (for a shoot´em up)

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
Good places for free graphics? (for a shoot´em up)
kentl
Member #2,905
November 2002

Hi!

The topic just about says it all, if there are some good sites with free graphics which i can use in a side scrolling (from left to right) shoot´em up i would be glad!

My "programmers art" should really be classed as "crap art" in my case as i not as artisticly talanted as some of you guys (and certainly worse than almost anyone). :)

So, an url:s would be appriciated. I have looked through molotuv.nu and didn´t find anything i like. So i guess i am both picky about graphics and crappy about creating them at the same time. ;)

I am not looking for an artist or similar, this is really something very small i am creating so i don´t want to "waste" someones time with it except my own.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Blender. ;)

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Kanzure
Member #3,669
July 2003

Anim8or. ;)

If you don't like Blender, that is.

Jacob Dawid
Member #4,045
November 2003

I could do that. What do you expect?

[edit]
I attached a file of a sprite I made with Paint...

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Quote:

Anim8or

It's astonishing, considering how much people hate AOL sp34k, that this product has become so famous.

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

Jacob Dawid
Member #4,045
November 2003

I did not learn that volounteery...

[EDIT]
You would not waste my time, it is a chance to extend my skills...

Kanzure
Member #3,669
July 2003

Quote:

It's astonishing, considering how much people hate AOL sp34k, that this product has become so famous.

Unlike the title implies, it packs a punch. If you can back up sp34k with content and valuable tools it nullifies people's belief that the name is too odd.

Quote:

I did not learn that volounteery...

What?!

Edit

Quote:

You would not waste my time, it is a chance to extend my skills...

I believe he is looking for somebody who already does 3D modeling. Or for him to learn, at the very least.

Jacob Dawid
Member #4,045
November 2003

Simply3D and stuff... it can be really frustrating...

[EDIT]
Yeah I am doing 3d modelling, stopped that a year ago, but when I would look for that S3D disk...

[EDIT2]
Paint is sufficient for me. I just have a certain image in my head, then I go pixel for pixel, vary with brightness and stuff, then just work it out and voila a sprite. I bet you would not do a sprite like the above with Paint...

kentl
Member #2,905
November 2002

me, myself, i said:

side scrolling (from left to right) shoot´em up

Jacob Dawid: I appreciate your effort and the sprite looks nice. However i am doing a side scrolling shoot´em up which scrolls from left to right. So i am afraid that i can´t use your "seen from above" spaceship, otherwise i would have. :-/

Quote:

I believe he is looking for somebody who already does 3D modeling. Or for him to learn, at the very least.

No that´s not necessary, some nice 2D hand drawn spaceship would also be great. However it has to be seen from the side so that i am able to use it. And i am really not that interested in learning right now, i just "want" som graphics preferably already made so that i don´t waste someones time.

Kanzure
Member #3,669
July 2003

Quote:

preferably already made so that i don´t waste someones time.

Guess what? You're waisting our time. Just go learn. It's not too hard to pick up a modeler. :P

Have you checked out Pixelation? Although most of the artwork is 2D, I'm sure somebody there has 3D models ready for sale or free-use..

Jacob Dawid
Member #4,045
November 2003

Well, you do not have to use the above. I meant I could do more sprites depending on what you want to have...

[EDIT]
You guys sometimes seem very arrogant to me... not only in that thread...

[EDIT2]
I mean if you are that godlike pros you sometimes pretend to be then go ahead and find some free gfx for him... gosh... Or make some for him... should be no prob for you, heh?

kentl
Member #2,905
November 2002

Jacob, if you could do something similar to the old R-TYPE spaceship it would be great.

You have a picture from R-TYPE at this url:
http://www.ysrnry.co.uk/cgi-bin/zoompic.pl?orgsize=256x192&url=/gifs/rtype.gif
And yes, there is a reason for me not posting the above as a link using mockup

If you could do something with similar shape(but a bit more 2000-compliant ;)) that would be great! :)

Jacob Dawid
Member #4,045
November 2003

How big should the sprite be?

[EDIT] I noticed the link was not working ;)

kentl
Member #2,905
November 2002

About 50x30 would be great, +- 20% or something.. :)

Jacob Dawid
Member #4,045
November 2003

K, 50x30 is kind of weird let us take 64x32

[EDIT]
use a placeholder, it should be ready in the next days. Just send me a PM with your mail addy and that is it. If you want more just contact me via PM.

kentl
Member #2,905
November 2002

Kanzure said:

Guess what? You're waisting our time. Just go learn. It's not too hard to pick up a modeler

Guess what, your wasting your own time and now mine. :-* You do not have to follow the thread if it´s not to your liking. It´s obvious from the topic of the thread what it´s about, so you can not have entered it by mistake. So the question is, are you lacking free will?

Quote:

send me a PM with your mail addy and that is it.

Ok, thanks! ;D

Gnatinator
Member #2,330
May 2002

If worse comes to worse, you could always whip Peitz into doing some for ya. That usually works quite well.

(only j.k ;))

Peitz has been getting more and more advanced latley...

EDIT
Oh yeah and blender is awesome for doing 2D sprites too. Once you turn Anti-aliasing on and set the pink bg not to blend with your model you can get some really sweet results.

Kanzure
Member #3,669
July 2003

Quote:

You guys sometimes seem very arrogant to me... not only in that thread...

Appearances can be decieving. The truth is we all love you for ignorance.

Quote:

I mean if you are that godlike pros you sometimes pretend to be then go ahead and find some free gfx for him... gosh... Or make some for him... should be no prob for you, heh?

I don't want to, and I didn't. That's why I posted the link to Anim8or.

Quote:

Guess what, your wasting your own time and now mine. :-*

No, actually I'm not waisting my time. I'm doing a rebuild all at the moment. :P If you're so concerned about time-waist, look at what you're doing. You're pointing out your time you are waisting trying to prove a point.

Quote:

You do not have to follow the thread if it´s not to your liking. It´s obvious from the topic of the thread what it´s about, so you can not have entered it by mistake.

Nobody said it's not to my liking.

Quote:

So the question is, are you lacking free will?

Are you lacking Lemmings? :o:o

Anyways; My original point was that by the time we're done arguing and pointing people to other people, kentl could already be learning and scultping something for himself. (Even though that's not what he wanted to do. When doing projects, you have to plan for changes.)

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Quote:

I mean if you are that godlike pros you sometimes pretend to be then go ahead and find some free gfx for him...

Being the pros that we are, we know said graphics don't exist. 10 times out of 10, it's easier to just make your own graphics than look for some that have been made already. Want crappy placeholders? Google for sprite rips or open MSPaint. Want finished art? Chances are you want something too specific for any "free" sprite resource to be quite good enough; either get someone else to make them or make them yourself.

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Kanzure
Member #3,669
July 2003

Well said 23, thanks. :)

Jacob Dawid
Member #4,045
November 2003

As I said, arrogant... btw, your comment is really funny, 23, I just gonna start laughin, wait a moment...

kentl
Member #2,905
November 2002

23yrold3yrold & Kanzure: Your posts in this thread has only been space waste (even though you two are really bonding so i guess something good has come from it) in my opinion.

I didn´t get any links which was what i asked for, i did get some help though, but not from you two. Now E.O.D.

Surt
Member #273
April 2000

You can use this if you want. I made it some time ago for a promptly dead project.
http://home.iprimus.com.au/surt/gradius_fighter.gif

Edit: Attached it, as the image has been replaced by picture.

---
--
-

kentl
Member #2,905
November 2002

Thanks! I´ll defenitly use it in the game! You are really good! Did you draw it pixel by pixel? (looked at your sig link to, very impressive stuff!)

Surt
Member #273
April 2000

It's pixeled. I used a guide of front and back outline views, which were then rotated, but it was still a real bastard to draw.

It's good to know that work will go to some use.

---
--
-

1   2 

Go to: