Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Programming Questions » Unable to find a suitable graphics driver. (AllegroGL)

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Unable to find a suitable graphics driver. (AllegroGL)
Krzysztof Kluczek
Member #4,191
January 2004

Since my bloated raycaster engine is running at 5 FPS I decided to try AllegroGL. I`m using Win98, DevC++ 4.9.8.0 and newest releases of Allegro and AllegroGL. After small battle with Windows 98 and DevC++ instalation I managed to compile both without errors. Allegro examples and demo works fine, but AllegroGL not. :( When its trying to start OpenGL graphics it pops up message window with "Unable to find a suitable graphics driver" as Allegro error message when AllegroGL message string stays empty. However, it seems to work a bit since it seems to switch to fullscreen and set proper graphics mode (and then returns to desktop and shows that message). :(

examp/dialog.exe behaves a bit differently since it displays graphics mode dialog box and message pops after selecting one. After confirming message it returns to mode selection dialog.

I tried to compile DevC++ OpenGL template and it runs ok so I don`t have any idea what is wrong. :(

Maybe somebody had this problem or have any idea what should I do to fix it? :)

btw. small additional question: is there some way to redirect stderr to a file on Win98/DOS or any other way of capturing it? :)

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Quote:

btw. small additional question: is there some way to redirect stderr to a file on Win98/DOS or any other way of capturing it?

redir - it's a MinGW utility, so it's probably included in Dev-C++ as well...

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Bob
Free Market Evangelist
September 2000

Quote:

it pops up message window with "Unable to find a suitable graphics driver"

Recompile AllegroGL in debug mode (make DEBUGMODE=1, make DEBUGMODE=1 install), then run one of the examples (not dialog). This will create a file called allegro.log. Have a look at it, or post it here if you don't understand what the problem is. Also, knowing what your video card / drivers are might help.

--
- Bob
[ -- All my signature links are 404 -- ]

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Quote:

maybe somebody had this problem or have any idea what should I do to fix it?

I had the problem once and it was due to having a hacked allegro dll in the path and it was screwing everything up. I rebuilt allegro and allegrogl from clean versions and it all went away.

Krzysztof Kluczek
Member #4,191
January 2004

Thanks for answers. It`s really nice to know there are people who can help me. :)

I recompiled Allegro and AllegroGL with DEBUGMODE=1. I`m sure now that it`s using proper Allegro DLL since my recent compilation is the only allegro debug DLL on my system and I placed it in Windows folder (which is opening my path) to be completely sure it`s using it. :)

Unfortunately, the same thing happened again. From allegro.log (attached) generated by test.exe it seems it`s making it`s best effort to set any graphics mode (including windowed) but it can`t find any suitable pixel format. Every time it finds 73 pixel formats and dumps only "Mode %d\n\n" for each. Final result: "didn`t find any available pixel format". :(

My graphics info:
Gfx: NVidia GeForce 2 MX/MX 400
Type: AGP (PCI mode)
Mem: 32MB
Drivers: 4.13.01.4109 all except PnP which is 4.12.01.0649
nvopengl.dll is present

General info:
CPU: Intal Pentium 3 with SSE
DirectX: 8.1
Ram: 128MB

Bob
Free Market Evangelist
September 2000

Can you try replacing src/win.c with the attached file? It won't fix your problem, but it should output more debug info.

--
- Bob

Krzysztof Kluczek
Member #4,191
January 2004

I tried recompiling it in debug mode with win.c replaced and I`ve got a bit strange results. Actually almost all examples worked (except dialog.exe which hangs my computer completely). I attached allegro.log generated by test.exe. Unfortunately, dialog.exe haven`t modified allegro.log before crash. I checked with original win.c again (I`ve done some app install/uninstall) but it still crashed. :( This all is really strange.

Bob
Free Market Evangelist
September 2000

Quote:

** ERROR ** describe_pixel_format_new(): wglGetPixelFormatAttrib failed! Windows report: (null) (3221684237)
** Warning ** select_pixel_format(): Wasn't able to use WGL_PixelFormat - reverting to old WGL code.

That doesn't make sense. GetLastError() can't possibly return such a value!

Could you try updating your drivers? The latest version is 53.03.

--
- Bob

Krzysztof Kluczek
Member #4,191
January 2004

I`ve updated my drivers to 53.04 and I`ve got exactly the same output file. :(

EDIT: Anyway, I forgot to thank you and the other developers for this library - it`s great and I`m happy I can use it (despite the fact, it`s not running on default win.c yet) :)

Bob
Free Market Evangelist
September 2000

Well, I don't get it at all. Could you file a bug on SourceForge, and attach the generated log?

--
- Bob

Krzysztof Kluczek
Member #4,191
January 2004

Of course I`ll do it. Maybe there is any system configuration dumping program under Win98 or downloadable something like that to fully describe my system config? I just don`t want to miss something important.

Bob
Free Market Evangelist
September 2000

Nah, you covered everything important.

--
- Bob

Richard Wilkinson
Member #4,405
March 2004

Bob,

I am also getting this message. Nothing I change seems to make a difference. Just upgraded from allegro 2.0 to 2.2. Everything works fine with 2.0.

Using VC++ 6.0 SP6, Windows XP (all patches) Nvidia Geforce2 GTS

Let me know what I can do to help resolve this.

Bob
Free Market Evangelist
September 2000

Quote:

I am also getting this message.

Care to attach the log file created by the new win.c (attached in a previous post)? Perhaps it's a driver bug on the GF2. I'll investigate further once I get home.

--
- Bob

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Quote:

Just upgraded from allegro 2.0 to 2.2. Everything works fine with 2.0.

Now that's what I call backwards compatibility! :o

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

Richard Wilkinson
Member #4,405
March 2004

OK, When the examples worked fine, I realized that something else was the culprit. It seems to be something in the MSVC make install, because copying over the include files manually solved the problem:D

Rafal Szyja
Member #2,408
June 2002

Hey... on my RIVA TNT2 PRO I got another error... when I run examples , screen turn black , looks like OGL is initializing , and thne it exits to windows with error - cannto set gfx mode , and AGL's errors string is empty...

mingw 3.0
libs:
Alleggl 0.2.2
allegro 4.1.12
system:
celeron 566 @ 640
320 mb ram
riva tnt2 pro
drivers: v50.34

Any solutions? should I try that win.c ???

Bob
Free Market Evangelist
September 2000

Yes, please do. Also, attach the generated allegro.log if you can. It will greatly help in debugging.

--
- Bob

Krzysztof Kluczek
Member #4,191
January 2004

I guess you should do what Bob said before: recompile examples in debug mode. Also recompiling AGL in debug mode using modified win.c could be helpful. Of course attach the generated allegro.log file (preferably generated by examp/test.exe to make comparision to my easier).

Go to: