Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » Zep's Dreamland Complete!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Zep's Dreamland Complete!
Ultio
Member #1,336
April 2001

Awesomely difficult level. I really like how you did it! You used a cool aspect of the game I didn't use in my own levels. Really neat. (Scrolling forest background seems kind of strange, though. ;))

Took me about 10 minutes to beat :) I wonder if anyone else can beat that? I don't know how many times I restarted, but this one is definitely a difficult one, at least to me; since all of my levels are easy to me.

Make more, make more. Make a level set. I'll host it! :)

---
"It's nice knowing that someday, the software I write will just be pirated by millions of people." :-/
http://loomsoft.net | Zep's Dreamland | Allegro Newbie Tutorials

Inphernic
Member #1,111
March 2001

A level pack of 4 levels.

The first two are child's play. The last one will make you cry blood. Guaranteed. ;)

Skalle
Member #4,139
December 2003

HA inphernic. I beat the chaos maze!!!!
It didn't make me cry blood, but it was sure hard.

Kanzure
Member #3,669
July 2003

Hey, in ZD 1.2, or whatever, can we get Alex (Alex4 - FLD) to appear (playable character?)? :D That would be interesting....

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

The chaos maze whould be a lot harder if instead of one red block and one sideways block, there were two red blocks.

The editor: Its not working:(:'( I really really (edit: really really) want to make some levels but its giving me the error that i need a 15bit grapiphics card (im assuming this means set_gfx_mode failed?) Could you come out with another revision that has an option to set the SCREEN_W/SCREEN_H at smaller numbers, (you can just do stretch blit as a double buffer, if need be:P) or if the map maker is in windowed mode, have an option for full screen? thanks

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Level 17 pisses me off >:( ...

EDIT: nm; I beat it :P

EDIT2:

Quote:

Steve, Yes, that's one of the more annoying levels. I didn't want to put in too many of those, because eventually it becomes a trial and error game, and most players have told me: if the rest of the levels are like 22, you suck.

And it's true. That's the only level like that. I just had to do it, though. Enjoy. It's not super difficult.

Bah. Level 22 and 23 were cool 8-) I was waiting for levels like that to crop up ...

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Inphernic
Member #1,111
March 2001

Quote:

The chaos maze whould be a lot harder if instead of one red block and one sideways block, there were two red blocks.

And impossible. ::) I don't feel like reorganizing all the teleports again. That levelset isn't worth hosting though.. maybe if I get around to make more levels to it. :)

Ultio
Member #1,336
April 2001

Dustin, I replied this to you in a recent post. :) There is a way to run it fullscreen.

Quote:

I thought this would come up. I'm assuming it won't run because your graphics card doesn't support a 800x600 windowed mode program in that graphics setting. There is hope, though. I anticipated this and made a fullscreen version of the editor (kind of hidden). Simply create a shortcut to the editor and append "-f" to the comman-line that calls it. Then the editor will run in fullscreened mode. Hope it works.

Inph, I didn't get a chance to try out your level set, but I'm definitely going to give it a go sometime after christmas. Right now I'm kind of booked. ;)

Quote:

Bah. Level 22 and 23 were cool I was waiting for levels like that to crop up ...

Really? You like the trial-and-error style levels? :) Make some more. Those are pretty easy to make. Maybe I'll make a "Prebuilt Hell" level set. ;D

---
"It's nice knowing that someday, the software I write will just be pirated by millions of people." :-/

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

Quote:

Dustin, I replied this to you in a recent post. There is a way to run it fullscreen

tight, thanks!

Quote:

Really? You like the trial-and-error style levels? Make some more. Those are pretty easy to make. Maybe I'll make a "Prebuilt Hell" level set.

ahh!

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

I'm pretty sure I cheated on Level 25 :) ...

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

There's a few levels where I felt like I cheated.
There'd be like 6 portals, and I'd only use 2 to beat it. Really confused me. Can't remember the levels exactly, but Rob (friend watching) said "uhh, ooookkkkaaaayyyyy....." :P

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

Made a level:) Itll probably be really confusing at first, but once u get it its easy.

I also added a saved game that will open the level up for you, just unzip this into the main zeps dreamland directory (C:\program files\zeps dreamland\)

tell me what you think:)

EDIT: i cheated on 32 and 38... just changed the level i was on in the saved game.. :P

Steve++
Member #1,816
January 2002

I've got version 1.01.

It has bugs. Sound effects don't finish playing. A small part keeps looping; really annoying. Also the first tutorial doesn't load for some reason. A windows dialogue box appears indicating it cannot load the tutorial file.

Also, i'm stuck in level 8!! Hints?

Steve Terry
Member #1,989
March 2002

Haven't cheated yet and made it to level 34... which confuses me a lot. The title says it all "Some planning required". It looks like two possible ways to make it into the portal but you get stuck one way and can't go back through the teleporter when you go the other way because blocks are in the way :( I think I'll have to "plan" a bit more to beat that level;D

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

8: Build up in the middle to place a block, then go back down and come up on the right side.

34: It's much simpler than it looks. I believe I only had one restart on it. I don't think you really have to plan... it's more of just doing the only things that make sense. Those blasted "pre-built" were the only ones that required a lot of "planning". >:(

Ultio
Member #1,336
April 2001

Quote:

I've got version 1.01.

It has bugs. Sound effects don't finish playing. A small part keeps looping; really annoying. Also the first tutorial doesn't load for some reason. A windows dialogue box appears indicating it cannot load the tutorial file.

You must have downloaded it RIGHT when I uploaded it. :) I mistakenly took out the 1 in the end of the string which contains the location of the first tutorial. About 10 minutes later there was a reupload of verion 1.01 with that minor fix. Dang, you guys are fast.

As for the sound problem, I'm not sure what may be causing that. I do not get that effect when I play the game. If anyone else does, please let me know. It would be helpful.

---

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

My 2c:
- Dieing should count as a restart.
- Save should be on the main menu.

-----------

Steve++
Member #1,816
January 2002

I just downloaded and installed it again. Still cannot load first tutorial map. Perhaps you could make a debug version of the executable (just something that makes a log of everything it's doing) so we can see what's happening.

EDIT: LEVEL 10 IS KILLING ME >:(

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

All but level 40 was easy for me.
I haven't solved it yet, and I doubt I have what it takes 'cause it's pissing me off!

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

You cannot solve level 40 from version 1.01? I thought it was very simplistic. I wasn't one of the unfortunate to try to beat the original level 40... ;)

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

Quote:

I just downloaded and installed it again. Still
cannot load first tutorial map. Perhaps you could make a debug version of the executable (just something that makes a log of everything it's doing) so we can see what's happening.

Now that you mention it, I can't run tut1 either.
Look like the names of the files are mucked up in the .exe. (ie. the game is looking for the wrong files)
If I move tutorial1.map (or whatever it's called, I don't remember the exact names)
to tutorial.map, then the first tut will work for awhile. But there are still problems... In any case, the naming system inside the game seems to be a bit - wrong - ... :)

-----------

Ultio
Member #1,336
April 2001

I REuploaded (for the second time) the new 1.01 which should contain a working Tutorial #1. If it still fails, use Karadoc~~'s instructions, as they are correct. :)

Anyways, since this thread seems to be dying out now I would just like to say thank you to everyone for trying out my game. I'm glad you liked it so much, and if you're the level-making type, please, feel free. I would like to host some good level sets on my site. Unfortunately I don't think I would be up to making a good one as I'm beat from making the original 40. Hopefully someone will step up to the challenge! (At least, I hope so).

I would also like to thank everyone that helped me throughout the actual process of making the game, especially in the beginning. I know I was kind of "gone" in between Test Demo 3.3 and this actual release, but prior to TD3.3 you guys were a great help and your encouragement was greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your support, and enjoy. Also, if you haven't rated the game yet, please do so. I read all of the reviews and the comments do help. Since the review lenght is kind of short it gives me a different perspective on what you guys think of the game, since you have to jam it all into such a small spot.

Again, thanks! I couldn't have done it without the support of everyone who believed in Zep! ;)

---

aquasync
Member #3,964
October 2003

Finally got it yesterday. Nice that its only ~2m for us dial-up users, most games (i don't mean commercial ones) seem to be getting unnecessarily large.
There were a few things that were not perfect in the tutorial, it'd be nicer if there was maybe a slight pause after completing a target action. Like you're told to look up, so you press up, and a huge message box pops up instantly, and I can't even see if zep is looking up.
Also the restrictions tute stuffed up a little, and I was actually on a non-red square when i was asked to try and build a block.
Something else that'd be nice is a resume! I thought I saw somewhere here that it was possible. If i just escape to the main menu to changes keys etc, there is no option to continue :(.
The puzzles themselves are quite good, I'm up to ~20 now, and there's been some challenging ones.
The only thing I'd really ask to change if you could is to make the keys a little friendlier. If you hold up, then press right, then let go of up, he doesn't go right. That might not seem a big deal, but when I'm changing directions I often press both keys for a few seconds and I have to let go completely before continuing.
On the whole though, its fun and polished. When I've mastered it ;D I'll be sure to send in some levels.

Steve++
Member #1,816
January 2002

Ultio, can u please show some example sound-playing code so we can figure out why it doesn't quite work right on my PC? That would be great.

Ultio
Member #1,336
April 2001

aquasync:
As for the tutorials, yes I know Zep is a little anxious to tell you that you did everything correctly. :) Heh.

As for the problem with the restricted block building, I know there's a problem where when you can drop down and build a block out of place. Thanks for the info though.

As for the moving around, the up key can also be used for "secure" turning, instead of relying on the keypress delay which will allow you to turn around, if you hold up and turn Zep around, he will not move. This is something carried over from the very early release of the game as it was the ONLY way to turn Zep around without moving a tile space. I left it in there because personally I use up to turn around sometimes. I just find it easier than having to press the key too quickly.

Steve++:
Hopefully this helps:

1//Set up sound
2if (install_sound(DIGI_AUTODETECT, MIDI_AUTODETECT, NULL) != 0) // Initialize the sound card
3{
4 set_gfx_mode(GFX_TEXT,0,0,0,0);
5 allegro_message("Error initialising sound system\n%s\nProceeding without sound", allegro_error);
6}
8//Set up the sound voices so that they can play a bunch at once
9reserve_voices(64, -1);
10set_volume_per_voice(2);
12// All samples are played such like this. The numbers are the same. The only
13// things that change are the pointer to the
14// sample and the volume of the sound output
15play_sample((SAMPLE*)d_sounds[d_teleport_in].dat, sound_vol, 127, 1000, FALSE);

---

Go to: