Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Installation, Setup & Configuration » Make error "msg"

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Make error "msg"
Chris Jones
Member #3,675
July 2003

I recently upgraded to DJGPP 2.03, and now allegro won't compile any more. When I type Make, it just says this:

make.exe: *** [msg] Error -1

Any ideas what's wrong? I'm all for solving problems myself, but that error message is rather unhelpful ;)

I can still make other programs fine, it's just allegro that seems to do this.

(I'm compiling for MSVC 6 by the way, have run vcvars32.bat beforehand, and have run Fix MSVC)

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

How about showing the actual error? You MUST be getting something more than that. :P

Edit: MSVC? You're on Windows? DUMP DJGPP. Get MinGW.

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

Chris Jones
Member #3,675
July 2003

The actual error, ey? :P

G:\vs\VC98\allegro>make
make.exe: *** [msg] Error -1

G:\vs\VC98\allegro>

I could switch to Mingw, but as I'm only using DJGPP to enable me to build allegro for MSVC (which is a rather silly dependency if you ask me), it doesn't seem worth the hassle of installing and configuring mingw to do the same thing.

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

What operating system are you on? DJGPP under Windows XP does that to me some times. Seriously. You can get just mingw make in a separate package. That's all you need.

Edit: Added link.

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

Synapse Jumps
Member #3,073
December 2002

Or you could get the MSVC make ::) It makes the whole installation process very easy.
EDIT: Check here and look at Method B!

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

SJ: Allegro still requires GNU make to install, IIRC.

--

aybabtu
Member #2,891
November 2002

Yeah, get MinGW, if only to make it. (But make sure of something, in my version of MinGW, you don't type "make" at the commandline, you type "mingw32-make".)

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

I just renamed mingw32-make to make. Won't cause any problems.

--

aybabtu
Member #2,891
November 2002

Yeah, but it threw me off (only temporarily, though), and could throw him off, too. Good idea, though...
renames
Yay!

Chris Jones
Member #3,675
July 2003

Thanks for the link X-G. It's not working for me at the moment (gateway timeout), but I'll try it again later.

Yeah, I'm using Windows 2000, but the funny thing is that allegro compiled fine with DJGPP 2.01, it was only when I upgraded to 2.03 last week that the problem started.

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Well, DJGPP is for DOS and has no reason to become more Windows compatible. If anything, newer versions are MORE likely to break compatibility.

--

Chris Jones
Member #3,675
July 2003

Hmm ok, I downloaded the mingw make. Now it gets further than the DJGPP one, but it now does this:

Compiling Allegro for MSVC, optimised statically linked. Please wait...
obj/msvc/runner.exe cl @ -nologo -DALLEGRO_STATICLINK -DALLEGRO_SRC -W1 -Gd -Ox
-GB -MD -I. -I./include -Foobj/msvc/alleg_s/allegro.obj -c src/allegro.c
process_begin: CreateProcess(G:\vs\VC98\AL6A86~1\obj\msvc\runner.exe, obj/msvc/r
unner.exe cl @ -nologo -DALLEGRO_STATICLINK -DALLEGRO_SRC -W1 -Gd -Ox -GB -MD -I
. -I./include -Foobj/msvc/alleg_s/allegro.obj -c src/allegro.c, ...) failed.
make (e=87): The parameter is incorrect.
e:mingw32-make.exe: *** [obj/msvc/alleg_s/allegro.obj] Error 87

Any ideas? Does it need a special version of the runner.exe to work with this make?

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

runner.exe should be built by the install process ...

--

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Try

fix msvc
make clean
make all
make installall

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

make clean should be run prior to fixing, or everything might not be cleaned.

--

Chris Jones
Member #3,675
July 2003

Thanks for all your help so far.

I tried those steps and unfortunately they didn't help. So, I just deleted the entire folder and unzipped allegro again, to be sure.

With mingw-make, I get this:

G:\al>make all
make msg lib
make[1]: Entering directory `G:/al'
Compiling Allegro for MSVC, optimised statically linked. Please wait...
gcc -O -Wall -Werror -o obj/msvc/runner.exe src/misc/runner.c
obj/msvc/runner.exe cl @ -nologo -DALLEGRO_STATICLINK -DALLEGRO_SRC -W1 -Gd -Ox
-GB -MD -I. -I./include -Foobj/msvc/alleg_s/allegro.obj -c src/allegro.c
process_begin: CreateProcess(G:\al\obj\msvc\runner.exe, obj/msvc/runner.exe cl @
-nologo -DALLEGRO_STATICLINK -DALLEGRO_SRC -W1 -Gd -Ox -GB -MD -I. -I./include
-Foobj/msvc/alleg_s/allegro.obj -c src/allegro.c, ...) failed.
make (e=87): The parameter is incorrect.
make[1]: *** [obj/msvc/alleg_s/allegro.obj] Error 87
make[1]: Leaving directory `G:/al'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Or with DJGPP Make I get this:

e:/tc/dj/bin/make.exe msg lib
make.exe[1]: Entering directory `g:/al'
make.exe[1]: *** [msg] Error -1
make.exe[1]: Leaving directory `g:/al'
make.exe: *** [all] Error 2

Any ideas at all? I'm quite tempted to revert back to DJGPP 2.01 if it's the only way to get this working.

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

What version of Allegro is this? 4.1.10 doesn't compile out-of-the-box on Windows, as mentioned on the front page.

--

Chris Jones
Member #3,675
July 2003

Heh yeah I saw that, no this is 4.1.11.

I also tried to re-make my old 4.1.6 install, but that no longer works either - some utility or other that is used by the allegro build process must have been 'upgraded' to a non-working version, but I'm not sure what it could be.

Hmm actually, one other thing is I have upgraded to Win2000 SP4 since I last compiled it successfully. Has anyone else had any problems making allegro under SP4?

Go to: