Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Game Design & Concepts » AMC review system

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
AMC review system
Zaphos
Member #1,468
August 2001

Erm, sorry, was away for the weekend so I missed this. But IB already has a site that should work now ... so I'm not sure we'd need to use Derezo's space, though I appreciate the offer.

IB: How's the site coming? Can we upload and such yet? Is the design working and stuff? Can I have access to it to upload the first three modules, or can you do that yourself?

IronBob
Member #3,248
February 2003

i have the modules. i dont know what the hell is wrong with the upload server on freehu. supposedly it wont be much longer. im sorry about having it be so long for upload. i promise i will get it up when i can.

kazzmir
Member #1,786
December 2001

I havent really been paying attention to who is going to be the AMC administrator. I am going to release a module soon, who should I email it to?

IronBob
Member #3,248
February 2003

ya, il keep them all and upload when i can.

kronoman
Member #2,911
November 2002

Excuse my intermission but:
Why you don't host it on sourceforge.net??
If it is going to be open source, is the best place to put it.
They give you php, mysql, ftp, ssh, mirrors for download, a file release system, cvs, member administration and lots of more high quality stuff, for free, and in high quality servers, without popups.
But of course, register there only if is serious, for don't wasting the service. (recently they send a email to members saying that they will have to remove dead projects (projects register that never ever released any files) due to the high grow of users)
Also, you can register a domain .com.ar if you want, they are free (God bless South America) [url www.nic.ar]

And, I can help with php (a little), I'm not an expert, but I'm getting payed doing crap with it :P
But, I think that CVS will be better to maintain the repository.
Altough, making a php module for uploading submissions is easy; I can do it (in fact, I already have one ready, and there are lots of them around on the web).

Well, that's all for now. Good luck.

IronBob
Member #3,248
February 2003

i already tried sourceforge when i did my engine. i had no idea how to do the webpages there. and i have no clue what CVS is, how to use it, or where to get it.

Zaphos
Member #1,468
August 2001

Well, source forge would probably be an excellent place to host us, if we can figure it out. I've been a bit afraid of it because so many people have complained about it being a pain to use.
Anyway, I do think we'll need an upload thingy in php some time soon. For now, though, you can simply post your module on these forums -- I read them enough that I probably won't miss them, and it'll provide and easy place for us to discuss changes / bugfixes that might be applied to the code.

Carrus85
Member #2,633
August 2002

I would have to second the sourceforge movement. That way you can at least generate mirrors and such.

Maybe if everyone in the forum tried to figure sourceforge out, we could combine our IQ to a sum total of over 100 points! Sorry, can't help but be sarcastic.

As the sign on my bedroom door states: Sarcasm, yet another service we offer.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Some people here actually understand that stupid site. Unfortunately, I am not one of them :)

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

What would this fall under?

• Software

• Documentation

• A web site

• Peer-to-peer software

• Game software

• A content management system (CMS) software

• An OS distribution (distro)

• Prebuilt packages of existing software

• Open Source content (images, movies, pictures, data)

• Software (not documentation) internationalization (I18N, language translation) project

[edit] The reason I ask is because I'll volunteer to learn the sf.net stuff so we can use it :P

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

kronoman
Member #2,911
November 2002

I understand perfectly the system of sourceforge.
Yesterday, Iron and me haved a IRC conversation, and I explained the details on how to upload web files to it; in any case, just PM me, and I will help.
I also have a linux system, so I can connect natively to sourceforge and their ssh shell.
Really, using sourceforge is easy, the hard is a myth; once you get used, you will notice that the system that sourceforge provides is very powerful.
(notice that I'm on Argentina, so my hour days are different from USA, so I can answer in exotic hour days to the PM... :) )

IronBob
Member #3,248
February 2003

dude, it got rejected. i put in a request last night and this morning i got a rejection email. i have no clue what it is. i put in the things i thought most suiting and i dont know what it is.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Maybe if you put it as "A web site" it will work? (you didn't say what you put it as though)

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

IronBob
Member #3,248
February 2003

i marked website. i dont know what it did. my browser was being really stupid. whenever i ATL+TAB'ed it would switch window, change my selecton, and the new window wouldnt show up. i just looked and now it says i put Software for the selection. stupid IE. that might be why and i guess i gotta explain that and change it. dumba$$ IE. i swear this thing is so annoying. it screws everything damn thing up. i was actually going for mozilla but compiling that monster was too intimidating. now IE keeps ****ing up everything.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

You don't need to compile Mozilla for Windows, there are pre-built versions.

[edit] Anyway, you want me to request for you if IE is messing up that badly for you?

---
MiquelFire.red

IronBob
Member #3,248
February 2003

well the stupid site never showed anything about that.

[edit]ok so far mozilla is just a netscape clone. but atleast it is better than IE.[/edit]

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Quote:

Really, using sourceforge is easy, the hard is a myth; once you get used, you will notice that the system that sourceforge provides is very powerful.

It's not a myth; I learned the hard way what a pain it is :P I'm a GeoCities man now ;)

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

I never had a reason to post a project there, so I can't prove the myth true or not (and it seems they're making their site more user friendly)

I guess it depends on how *nix you are ;)

(Man three years of having an account there... and I still don't have a project, that's funny)

---
MiquelFire.red

Korval
Member #1,538
September 2001

Quote:

Anytime anyone says "once you get used to it, it is really powerful," that almost always translates to, "The interface was clearly designed by retarded monkeys; is poorly, and cryptically, documented; and you'll never use most of that power anyway."

kronoman
Member #2,911
November 2002

Korval said:

[...]clearly designed by retarded monkeys[...]

Notice how many great open source projects do use the sourceforge services with great sucess.
The interface was designed to people with certain knowledge of *nix systems, that's why looks so weird for people that uses other systems.

Iron Bob said:

dude, it got rejected

Did you fill correctly all the info, with useful descriptions and stuff? remeber that the subscription is read by real people, not a machine, so you must convince them that the project worth it, and that is not just snake oil.

Look what they said:

SourceForge Team said:

When registering your project, you will be expected to provide a full description of your project, information about which Open Source license under which your project will be released, and the name of your project. This information MUST be provided at time of registration, so if you have not sorted out these details, you should do so before submitting your project for hosting on SourceForge.net.

I can help you making your request if you want.
I think that the category is "Game software"

Well, get on IRC and we chat about it.

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Quote:

The interface was clearly designed by retarded monkeys; is poorly, and cryptically, documented; and you'll never use most of that power anyway."

Are we talking about Blender again? Or is it vim? :P

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

IronBob
Member #3,248
February 2003

nope, sourceforge.

kazzmir
Member #1,786
December 2001

If it got rejected, you probably didnt say enough about the project. Try give as much useful information about the project as possible without rambling about it. I got rejected once, but after I resubmitted with a better description it was accepted.

Sourceforge is fairly easy to use. The only thing that took me a while to figure out was how to upload files. I dont use most of the features of the website, but i dont need them. Im no expert on whether sourceforge is reliable or not, but they should hold onto the code for a very long time and will always have huge amounts of bandwith for people to download the code.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Quote:

The only thing that took me a while to figure out was how to upload files.

Yeah, that's exactly what I got stuck on :P I messed with it for a week or two (with some help from you guys) and gave up. Two weeks better spent working on the damn project ::)

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Zaphos
Member #1,468
August 2001

Try games software. The description is as follows:
A collection of modules (i.e. very small libraries) which make available commonly-desired higher level functionality for the allegro library, as well as an interface for reviewing modules, submitting new modules, and submitting fixes to modules. Unlike a standard library collection, all modules will follow a some general rules of composition and be tested by a collection moderator before being uploaded to the collection. This is intended to ultimately form a C/Allegro equivalent to Perl's CPAN, as well as a database of non-buggy, optimized and uniformly documented example code. All code and other module content will be licensed as public domain or, upon request of the submitting LGPL.

1   2   3 

Go to: