Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » X-Men 2 review

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3   4 
X-Men 2 review
Surt
Member #273
April 2000

The actor playing Wolverine (Hugh Jackman) is Australian. The character is Canadian.

The actor playing the Hulk (Eric Bana) is also Australian.

---
--
-

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

:o That is what I ment ;) Oh well. Add this little bit to the clueless thread ;D

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

An Ly
Member #185
April 2000

Why the Matrix lobby scene is "cool":

1. High badass factor.

- When Neo is asked to remove metallic items, he opens up his coat to reveal a load of guns.

- The whole scene is done with an emotionless face on Neo and Trinity. None of this strained face you see in Die Hard and other war movies. It was as if taking on 20 guards was a piece of pie.

- Sure, perhaps running straight would be easier but adding a bit of acrobatic flash made the idea of showing off add to the badass factor.

- Trinity kicking a gurads gun so it spins around his arm, ending up aiming at his back. Trigger is then pulled (Matrix fans would know what I mean here).

- After the scene, Neo and Trinity pick up the bag of explosives and walk off without a dent in their clothes. All in a days work. No sweat, no blood.

- Lobby is demolished, the heros remain untouched. Cool. (exemplified by the crumbing pillars at the end of the scene)

2. Visual sytle.

- Slow mo. Done in lots of movies. Done better here to show off detail. Detail on the amount of debris being kicked up. The number of shells hitting the ground with a "ting!".

- Coats flapping used to show a sense of speed and flair when runnign and jumping.

- Sunnies.

3. Music.

- If you don't like techno or don't appreciate it in action sequences then I understand. However, the music building up just before the scene and the increase in it's beat and energy throughout works well for me.

I would liek to point out though that Nightcrawlers opening scene (when he kicks ass at the White House) is also damn cool for similar reasons to that of the Lobby scene. Anyone agree? (The classical music works well here too, as a contrast to Matrix).

Poll time.

a) Matrix Lobby scene is cool. Nightcrawlers is too.

b) Lobby cool, Nightcrawler crap.
c) Lobby sucks, Nightcrawler's cool.
d) Both suck ass

I vote "a".

Inphernic
Member #1,111
March 2001

Oh and - thanks for the synopsis 23, now I don't have to buy a movie ticket. :)

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Quote:

23yrold3yrold
--------------
This movie was very faithful to the X-Men mythos (even more than the first) and it gives me confidence that a movie version of DPS would be excellent.

DPS?

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Dark Phoenix Saga.

AL: I don't think the lobby scene sucked; I just don't see what the big deal was :P I loved the opening scene with Nightcrawler, but a) I'm a Nightcrawler fan, and b) it served as a nice power demonstration, as any newly introduced character needs.

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Um.. 23, you don't think Neo is a newly introduced character?

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Yeas, but in The Matrix, everyone has the same powers (how lame :P). Besides, Neo clearly got his power demonstration scene after he was "killed".

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

1   2   3   4 

Go to: