Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » DUMB v0.9.1 - filters, click removal - and more API!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
DUMB v0.9.1 - filters, click removal - and more API!
Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

... and better XM and MOD support. Click here for details.

I have also updated the Winamp 2.x plug-in (save it in winamp/plugins, and move in_mod.dll out of the way, as usual).

Enjoy :)

[EDIT: just tested and fixed the MinGW and DJGPP makefiles. If you are having trouble, redownload DUMB. Note that there is a problem with early GCC 3 versions, which I don't care to fix, but it's not fatal. There is more information on this on DUMB's site, right by the downloads.]

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

LoHoL
Member #1,752
December 2001

Quote:

You can now detect when a
module loops, or make it play through just once.

woohooo i feel so happy:)
I'm just downloading it.

---
Lohol

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Yay!

/me will be downloading in in a few hours!

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Fladimir da Gorf
Member #1,565
October 2001

I tried installing, but:
xcopy lib\mingw\libdumb.a C:\Dev-C++\lib
file not found: libmingwlibdumb.a
:-/???

But I checked the dumb/lib/mingw folder and found libdumb.a so I hope I can just copy paste it to dev-c++/lib/

[edit] Wohoo I tested dumbplay.exe. No clicks found yet, but sometimes it seems that when I use other programs at the same time the playback lags. I don't know if it counts as clicks, and don't know if it happens in games, but exellent work anyways! :)
[edit2] ra_ocean.it went mad after playing it about 1.5 minutes. Before that it sounded exellent, though. I hope you have any idea what the problem might be?

OpenLayer has reached a random SVN version number ;) | Online manual | Installation video!| MSVC projects now possible with cmake | Now alvailable as a Dev-C++ Devpack! (Thanks to Kotori)

Oscar Giner
Member #2,207
April 2002

There's a problem in the makefile when installing the library. It happens with MSVC. You do a command like this:

copy include\dumb.h "c:\programa\vstudio\vc98\include\"

The filal '\' at the destination directory shouldn't be there. It generates an error, something like "folder not found". It should be

copy include\dumb.h "c:\programa\vstudio\vc98\include"

And the file aws_mac1.zip crashes dumb. It worked with 0.9.0, so you have broken something.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Oscar, your link is broken..

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Oscar Giner
Member #2,207
April 2002

Sorry. I wrote extra ".

Solved :)

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Listening. Hasn't crashed yet...

--

Oscar Giner
Member #2,207
April 2002

It crashes for me just at loading...

I'm using MSVC.

[edit]
just to make sure that the link song is the correct. The song's name is "Medieval Ambience" (or something similar)?
[/edit]

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Yup. Its the right file, and it doesn't crash here, on linux. :) Maybe some weird MSVC bug.. Bruce will know :)

Oscar: Have you tried the winamp plugin?

--

Oscar Giner
Member #2,207
April 2002

Quote:

You tried the winamp plugin?

Not yet. I'll try it.

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Fladimir:

Quote:

I tried installing, but:
xcopy lib\mingw\libdumb.a C:\Dev-C++\lib
file not found: libmingwlibdumb.a
:-/???

Your version of make must be escaping the backslashes. Could you type "make -v" and/or "make --version" and quote the output please? Also do you have Cygwin and/or a Unix shell installed?

Quote:

But I checked the dumb/lib/mingw folder and found libdumb.a so I hope I can just copy paste it to dev-c++/lib/

Yep, along with libaldmb.a, libdumbd.a and libaldmd.a. If they're not there, run 'make' and 'make DEBUGMODE=1'. Also copy include/dumb.h and include/aldumb.h to c:\dev-c++\include.

Quote:

[edit] Wohoo I tested dumbplay.exe. No clicks found yet, but sometimes it seems that when I use other programs at the same time the playback lags. I don't know if it counts as clicks, and don't know if it happens in games, but exellent work anyways! :)

This may be a problem with Allegro, or it may be something you can fix by increasing the buffer size (see dumb.ini).

Quote:

[edit2] ra_ocean.it went mad after playing it about 1.5 minutes. Before that it sounded exellent, though. I hope you have any idea what the problem might be?

I shall investigate.

[EDIT]
It uses too much processor power and can't keep up. The filters aren't to blame; it's the sheer number of channels. Edit dumb.ini and set dumb_resampling_quality to 1 and it should cope better. Alternatively, reduce dumb_it_max_to_mix.

Bob and I are thinking about possible replacements for the linear average algorithm that kicks in for qualities 2, 3 and 4 and uses so much processor power.

[EDIT #2]
After some experimentation, it seems the filters can also be quite processor-intensive - especially when there are 60 of them being applied at once! (This happens at the 3-minute mark.) Try reducing the sampling frequency to 22050 (exercise caution if going lower than that though - see Known Bugs). Try reducing dumb_it_max_to_mix to 32.
[/EDIT #2]
[/EDIT]

---

Oscar:

Quote:

copy include\dumb.h "c:\programa\vstudio\vc98\include\"

Fixed in my copy, which will be committed to CVS when I feel like it. I also changed the MinGW makefile to use the 'CP' variable (set to 'copy') instead of 'xcopy'.

Quote:

And the file aws_mac1.zip crashes dumb. It worked with 0.9.0, so you have broken something.

I second Tom. I have broken nothing. :P My best guess is an MSVC optimisation bug; in addition to trying the (MinGW-compiled) Winamp plug-in, try linking with dumbd.lib instead of dumb.lib and see if it still crashes. (You can delete dumbplay.o and dumbplay.exe and use 'make DEBUGMODE=1' to achieve this.)

Quote:

Maybe some weird MSVC bug.. Bruce will know :)

No he won't ;)

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

ra_ocean.it went mad

How do you define 'went mad'.. I tried it and it seemed to be ok over the 2min mark.

Quote:

No he won't ;)

I'm dumb!. You mean you ARNT the all knowing, all seeing Mr. Perry? n/m then. :)

--

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

No, I aren't. ;)

Re ra_ocean.it, see my edit above.

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Sory, I dont like single quotes ;)

--

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Sorry, but you missed an E out too ;)

[EDIT] I'm mean ::)

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

"#4!!??! w00t." - Me, the undisputed typo king!

;)

[edit] Im listining to that it file from above... well it still get a bit 'choppy' even on quality mode 1... does that min_to_max thing make a big difference?

[edit2] That BANG I reported earlier, It may have something to do with my SBLive. I just remembered that at 100% volume EVERYTHING is noise (well not completely, but It's hard on the ears). So I usually sit at 90% which is fine for most stuff, but it seems with DUMB It want's the volume set at 80%...

[edit3] um.. As I said 'Might'... Im not totally sure, the noise I get if the volume is to high is very staticy, or trebly... (kinda like white noise)

--

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

It's not min_to_max, it's max_to_mix, i.e. max(imum number of samples) to mix :)

I just set it to 64, and quality = 4, and the file played fine. Gonna try 128 now :)

[EDIT] It has a bit of trouble on 128, but that might be because I'm browsing allegro.cc at the same time. [/EDIT]

Setting it to low values like 8 can be... interesting ;)

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

What kind of monster machine do you have? I've got an Athlon 900... And with dumb_it_max_to_mix set to 32, and quality set to 4 It gets up to 80% in the first 30 seconds of the ri_ocean.it file... heh. I saw it go up to 89.7% CPU usage.

hmm. just did a test with quality set to 1, max_to_mix set to 32.... I still get peaks of 80% CPU usage. but the overall usage is way down. I'd appreciate it if you and bob found some more time to get new reasmpling methods... :) I mean IT doesn't use that much CPU time playing its own fiels does it?

--

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

AthlonXP 1800+ with DDR RAM. DUMB was compiled with GCC 3.1. Which compiler did you use? You are linking with the optimised build, right? DUMB really shouldn't be going up to 80% with those options...

Oh and change "dumb_resampling_quality", not "quality". "quality" is an Allegro option.

IT is written all in assembly language, so it's Pretty Damn Fast. ::)

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Im using gcc 2.95.4 IIRC... ah. -ldumb helped ;) (instead of -ldumbd...) but it's still getting to 40% and, it seems that I get a bit of noise with the optomized build.. You're going to say try 3.1 eh? I've got 3.0.4...

hmmm.. at about the 3min mark the usage goes right through the roof... almost 90% again.

[edit] apt-get'ing 3.2 right now...

--

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Try removing the various optimisation flags from the makefile and see when the noise disappears. -funroll-loops is a good candidate...

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

But thats too much like work. ;)

--

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

See my [EDIT #2] above.

In other news, it appears DUMB works much more efficiently compiled with GCC 3.x than it does with GCC 2.x. At least on an Athlon it does. :)

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Bob
Free Market Evangelist
September 2000

Quote:

It's a bug in DUMB's XM loader. Expect a fix in the next release (or from CVS, if you're daring) ;D

--
- Bob
[ -- All my signature links are 404 -- ]

1   2 

Go to: