Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » DUMB has click removal!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
DUMB has click removal!
Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Available in CVS, and can be previewed with the Winamp 2.x plug-in as usual. Put it in the winamp/plugins directory, and move in_mod.dll out of the way.

The click removal isn't applied to filtered samples yet (for IT files). Also it isn't perfect; small clicks seem to remain sometimes, and it can damage the sound quality in rare cases (specifically the music for my current project). I've looked at the wave output, and it seems to be doing what I programmed it to do - so maybe I need to do some research and implement a different algorithm. Let me know what you all think...

Before someone asks, I don't know when I'll get around to making a release. There are still some bugs I'd like to fix (mainly with .mod support), and stuff I'd like to add to the API. I'd also like to work on my game for a while. Be patient... :)

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

The click removal isn't applied to filtered samples yet (for IT files).

DAMN YOU!!!!!! ;)

This is good news. Keep it up Ben... Um or Bruce... Ummmm.... Or whoever you REALLY are... ;D

[edit]
p.s. so have you any idea why my little dumb plugin likes to have 80% cpu usage on my Athlon 900Mhtz? None of my other input plugins do, and it seems it only does that with really NICE .it files... The usage goes down a bit with the sample rate turned down to 22050, and the dumb quality setting at 2 (instead of 4), but it still gets up there... (whereas all the XMMS and Winamp mod players don't seem to eat that much CPU time.. Then, DUMB does sound better usually ;) And about that Im not just sucking up, the range is a ton better, clearer (and more) base, and generally better sound, becides the afformentioned clicks ;))
[/edit]

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Ah, but have the aforementioned clicks disappeared? Or can you still hear them? ;)

Try setting the resampling quality to 1, not 2. 2, 3 and 4 uses a 'linear average' algorithm, optimised to make the CPU mispredict as many branches as possible! Bob and I are considering possible replacements for it. Oh, and didn't you tell me that playit.c uses a lot less processor time? ;)

There shouldn't be more bass than with other plug-ins. DUMB doesn't have any kind of equaliser...

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

Ah, but have the aforementioned clicks disappeared? Or can you still hear them?

Haven't tried the new cvs yet. (Im over at my dad's doin some visiting)

Quote:

Try setting the resampling quality to 1, not 2. 2, 3 and 4 uses a 'linear average' algorithm, optimised to make the CPU mispredict as many branches as possible! Bob and I are considering possible replacements for it.

Groovy. So I guess I'll stick with 1 if I find an IT file...

Quote:

Oh, and didn't you tell me that playit.c uses a lot less processor time?

heh. Yup. But 80% (on a 900Mhtz cpu)? Isn't that a bit much for those two ITs you sent me?

Quote:

There shouldn't be more bass than with other plug-ins. DUMB doesn't have any kind of equaliser...

Thats probably why. The plugins I listen with all sound muted compared to DUMB. I coul'd probably play with those plugin's settings... But I can't at the moment. :)

The Bass just sounds better. Clearer even. (at least it does with my Altec-Lansing 4.1 set... I can still tell a bit with my earphones, but not much)

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Quote:

But 80% (on a 900Mhtz cpu)? Isn't that a bit much for those two ITs you sent me?

But you can't really claim that DUMB is using all that, considering playit.c uses less ;)

Just to say, CVS and the Winamp plug-in now have complete click removal, including filtered samples. They have had since Sat Dec 14 07:25:50 2002 UTC (30 hours, 15 minutes ago), except allegro.cc was down at the time and I couldn't post here. :)

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

But you can't really claim that DUMB is using all that, considering playit.c uses less

I'm not trying to. but none of the other plugins for my player use that kind of time, and the DUMB plugin ONLY uses that kind of time playing IT files.

Quote:

CVS and the Winamp plug-in now have complete click removal, including filtered samples.

Me try tomorow. (too tired now... ;))

--

Fladimir da Gorf
Member #1,565
October 2001

That's great news! :) :) If it really works I'll consider starting to use it instead of FMod. Not many extensions and programs play IT files correctly, so be proud of yourself!

OpenLayer has reached a random SVN version number ;) | Online manual | Installation video!| MSVC projects now possible with cmake | Now alvailable as a Dev-C++ Devpack! (Thanks to Kotori)

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

DUDE! That shopping.xm file you sent sounds a TON better :) same with smashm.xm ;)

--

Go to: