Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Programming Questions » Overlays not supported. Bah.

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Overlays not supported. Bah.
DmAndrew12
Member #1,950
February 2002

Yea, so I was bored and decided to remake the classic Slime Volleyball in C++ with Dragon Quest slime sprites. I go to make a unorthodox window size (i.e., 750x480, something I've never had trouble with before I switched to XP Pro) and it gives me the following whenever I run the prog:

Unable to initialize graphics module
Overlays not supported

What gives? Does anyone know whats wrong and how I can fix it/why I never had this problem before? Thanks

Freeze
Member #842
December 2000

I'm not sure but I think screen resolutions must be mutliples of 4?

750/4 = something . 5

DmAndrew12
Member #1,950
February 2002

Hmm... I've never had that trouble before... lemme try... nope =(

Bob
Free Market Evangelist
September 2000

Allegro should be falling back to GDI if it can't pick the overlay driver... Are you sure you use GFX_AUTODETECT[_WINDOWED]? Do you have a stray allegro.cfg lying around that might be confusing it?

--
- Bob
[ -- All my signature links are 404 -- ]

Zaphos
Member #1,468
August 2001

Just tried 750x480 with GFX_AUTODETECT_WINDOWED ... didn't work for me either! 760 works, but still ... is a weird thing; windowed screens should be able to go to any size, I thought ...

Bob
Free Market Evangelist
September 2000

They must be multiples of 4 in width.

--
- Bob
[ -- All my signature links are 404 -- ]

DmAndrew12
Member #1,950
February 2002

"Are you sure you use GFX_AUTODETECT[_WINDOWED]?"

Yes, but that didn't matter before. I could have it set to FULLSCREEN and it would automatically window it if it wasn't a standard resolution. Also, It worked before without multiples of four for some reason =/

"Do you have a stray allegro.cfg lying around that might be confusing it?"

Nope!

So anyway, I've given up on getting it to work (I swear, it must be Windows XP).. and decided to do it in Flash like I was going to originally (it's a remake of a Java game, so might as well keep it playable in a broswer, ne?)

frenchfry
Member #2,636
August 2002

I've never had this problem. I've tested a bunch of window sizes that were nonstandard, and they all work. I might have picked resolutions divisible by four out of coincidince I guess :p.

------------------------------
"You can't catch me, I'm the gingerbread man!" - The Gingerbread Man

DmAndrew12
Member #1,950
February 2002

Yeah, Flash is all like "Hey, I'm flash, and I like to make it a pain in the ass for you to do anything resembling programming".. so yeah, I finally got the nonstandard window to work (I had my arguments backwards, nyah! >:() For some reason I guess it doesn't like when the height is larger than the width. weird.

Go to: