Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Extracting entire MIDI musics from SNES roms: how ?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Extracting entire MIDI musics from SNES roms: how ?
Rafael Santos Coelho
Member #2,858
October 2002

Is there any software to extract entire background MIDI musics (instead of small WAV sounds) from SNES roms ? Yeah ? What ? Can you tell me where can I get it ? (or a name of a website that offers free musics for games ?) I am asking this to you because I saw some .mid files in the Zep's DreamLand's (a LoomSoft's game) music directory that are from Donkey Kong Country 1 rom (SNES) ... and its sound quality is pretty good ! (and MIDI files are small and don't overload games) Can you guys help me please ?

"No one is someone in life alone".
Joseph Nicodemos

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Bob
Free Market Evangelist
September 2000

Quote:

Is there any software to extract entire background MIDI musics (instead of small WAV sounds) from SNES roms ?

No. The SNES uses a programmable audio CPU (the SPC) to generate music and sound effects. In other words, the music you hear is really a program that runs on the "sound card" of the SNES. There is no way to convert it into MIDI.

However, you can download the SPC dumps, and use an SPC player to play the music.

--
- Bob
[ -- All my signature links are 404 -- ]

Funklord
Member #467
June 2000

It is convertable into a mod file format (losing FX of course), since the SPC chip is very similar to it (8ch pcm)
But the extraction would have to occur using full emulation. (games store the data in any way they choose)

----------------------
[ Me payge | Me shoutcast (128k) | Me in aktOin! | Me OS | Me friends ]

Age is inversely proportional to how much drink you've had - Funklord

Inphernic
Member #1,111
March 2001

Real (wo)men listen to the song and enter the notes on their medium of choice simultaneously. ;D

Oscar Giner
Member #2,207
April 2002

[url http://paladinn.cjb.net/]
Has lots of musics from games.

Go to: