Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Game Design & Concepts » Good game design.

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
Good game design.
ReyBrujo
January 2001

Well, I haven't said you need to hide everything. That works well with MUDs, but as you say, you need more animations for the characters to make the player realize you have made more or less damage to your enemy.

Let's see Breath of Fire II: the first time you fight an enemy, its bar health is empty. After you kill it, you will get its bar health displayed, but never actually telling you its maximun health points: each time you hit it the energy is decreased. That can help somewhat to get my idea.

And about playtesting: I released a pre-alpha version to my friends (didn't have still the battle sprites finished, worked much like any MUD). I put a huge dragon with stats much higher than the ones you may ever get inside a cave. And got complains from ALL of them because it was completely unkilleable. Even if they raised their statistics at the limit (you access a console by pressing TAB, which allows to modify almost every "number" in the game), the dragon still killed them. The dragon was a part of a quest (you needed to bring a gem to it). Why players think they can kill everything?

I know: if you are playing a RPG, you should be able to kill everything. But until now, I don't remember RPG allowing you to kill the citizen of a city, the shopkeeper or the maiden.

RB

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」
Mitsuko's last words, Battle Royale

Plucky
Member #1,346
May 2001

Quote:

Why players think they can kill everything?

The expectation these days for rpgs is that any evil monster can be dealt with through violence. Not a good thing, and you can blame the tired old rpgs of the past for it. Rpgs share many aspects of adventure games, and yet in adventure games violence is expected to be the last resort (and rare) as a solution to an obstacle.

Because of this expectation to be able to kill the big "boss", in your final game, you probably need quite a few hints that another option is available. Otherwise you get frustrated gamers who'll delete your game.

Quote:

But until now, I don't remember RPG allowing you to kill the citizen of a city, the shopkeeper or the maiden.

Fallout games come to mind. You can clear the whole town out if you so desire. The kids. The shopkeepers. The maidens. Anyone and everyone.

1   2   3 

Go to: