Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Game Design & Concepts » Good game design.

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
Good game design.
ReyBrujo
January 2001

Plucky, aren't you a wizard of a MUD ;)

Example: <Hero> enters a weapon shop. The shopkeeper shows him his stored weapons. At one side, you have a small window where you see red numbers when the new selected weapon lowers a status, and yellow/blue when raises it. The player presses down until the end of the list and selects the best weapon. <Hero> is equipped with the best weapon of the town, and won't change it until reaching the next city.

My system: <Hero> enters a weapon shop. The shopkeeper asks him for his weapon. <Hero> gives his wielded weapon to her. And is given a response: "Hmm... your weapon is heavy, I have a lighter one" (aka: lower strength requirement), "Yes, my list includes this kind of sword, but made of steel rather than iron" (aka: more damage), "The <name_of_shopkeeper_weapon> I sell is much easier to handle than this one" (increases agility), "Your weapon seems to be out of this world, none of mine can beat it" (not likely, but you might find a trustworthy shopkeeper), etc.

Or letting the player see the list and the prices, but not the modificators. When he choses one, a NPC in the shop tells you "I don't suggest it, an orc broke it with his head the last time I wielded one". This NPC can be a drunk, a priest, a thief, etc. And lets the player to do the actual decision.

If your game is skill based (as MUDs are, like Korval said), at high levels the player can notice which weapon is better between two. Or having a special shop (the smithery) where you can ask the smith to tell you which one is better. Or by just letting the player notice by himself. MUDs usually gives you a "compare" command.

This way you can include TONS of modificators: alignment, races, etc. Some can lie to you, some can give you tips, and some can just say the truth. This way the player has a big interaction with the shopkeeper, as he needs to find those who do not lie to him. This can be applied to almost ANYTHING in the game.

Drawback: you MUST limit a character's power. Celes at level 25 (about 260 mp), with a Gem Box (character can cast two spells per attack) and Economizer (ANY magic costs 1 MP), is almost surely able to kill any of the main eight dragons of FF3 alone. Is that balance? And if she learns Quick (two spells per attack), she can throw FOUR Ultima (each doing 2.5-3k damage, damaging all enemies), or heal her with Cure 3 (each healing 1.5k hit points) before her enemy is able to counterattack. Does she needs to interact with someone not a dragon?

RB

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」
Mitsuko's last words, Battle Royale

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Quote:

"Your weapon seems to be out of this world, none of mine can beat it" (not likely, but you might find a trustworthy shopkeeper), etc.

I'm slightly reminded of the shopkeepers from Baldur's Gate for PS2... each one telling you that they have the finest armor and weapons in all the land ;)

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Flecko
Member #566
August 2000

Man, you guys are the best. I've gotten alot of good ideas from this thread. At least, I feel alot better about my design. ReyBrujo has some wicked ideas. I think I have a better plan now for my game, and I plan on getting it well tested. Thanks everyone!!

-Flecko

ben's drivel
A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer. This message brought to you by Old Kentucky Shark of Kentucky Nightmare Whiskey Co.

Korval
Member #1,538
September 2001

Example 1:

Quote:

<Hero> enters a weapon shop. The shopkeeper shows him his stored weapons. At one side, you have a small window where you see red numbers when the new selected weapon lowers a status, and yellow/blue when raises it. The player presses down until the end of the list and selects the best weapon. <Hero> is equipped with the best weapon of the town, and won't change it until reaching the next city.

Example 2:

Quote:

<Hero> enters a weapon shop. The shopkeeper asks him for his weapon. <Hero> gives his wielded weapon to her. And is given a response: "Hmm... your weapon is heavy, I have a lighter one" (aka: lower strength requirement), "Yes, my list includes this kind of sword, but made of steel rather than iron" (aka: more damage), "The <name_of_shopkeeper_weapon> I sell is much easier to handle than this one" (increases agility), "Your weapon seems to be out of this world, none of mine can beat it" (not likely, but you might find a trustworthy shopkeeper), etc.

It very much depends on how you want to focus your game as to which you choose.

If you give a player a simple number that represents how good a weapon is, then weapons become simply part of leveling up a character. As you roam the world, your character gains in level. The character acquires gold. That gold is spent on weapons, which further augment the character. This is perfectly legitimate.

Also, if you use #1, you do not want your player to spend too much time considering exactly which weapon to use. Perhaps your game focuses more on tactics of how to use the weapon and which techniques to use with it, rather than micromanaging particular weapons.

#2 is a little too nebulous for me. It doesn't define exactly how much better one weapon is over another. This makes choosing between two weapons difficult, or at least nebulous. It is, also, very text heavy; it requires a lot of reading to decipher that a particular sword gives increased speed. How do you plan to qualify that when looking at two items in inventory?

Lastly, it places fairly significant importance on something that is fairly trivial: item buying. When playing most table-top RPGs, many GM's will gloss over most trivial details like that, because the emphesis is on the adventure. Placing such an emphesis on mere item buying de-emphesizes other parts of the game. Item buying now becomes a significant gameplay mode/event, rather than something less important that simply happened every now and then.

ReyBrujo
January 2001

I am not saying that the "traditional" way of handling shops is wrong. Improvements in the "graphic" section of the games has been incredible. From Pong to the next version of TombRaider. But, as you might have noticed, the AI has also been improved. Enemies are now much smarter. Starting from Galaga, to Ages Of Empire III. Can you nowadays play a game where the NPC just move from left to right? However, the curve starts going down again. AI is now limited to a few functions: A*, builder, explorer and warrior.

I, as a game master, have random tables to decide how good and how much each item costs. But, when I sell a weapon, I don't tell him "This weapon has a +5 strength and +3 to-hit bonus". I just give the weapon to him, and they must find that out by themselves. But of course, we have been playing for... hmm... 10 years together, so they got used to this way of doing things.

This makes the game slow, as the player needs to read more text than usually. Another way? Well, just show him the pricelist. That means, just the name of the weapon and the prices. Magic: The Gathering, in example, when you enter a shop to buy a card, the game checks yours against its own, and try to find out combos, and if so, gives you a tip. That can be also done: the shopkeeper, once you enter the shop, tells you "That shields seems to be very heavy... maybe you would prefer a lighter weapon than yours to improve thy balance?".

Some NPC are able to change their talk according to events. That is nice: they do not repeat the same text since you leave your hometown until you arrive back as a hero. However, that is not enough for making the player interact with all NPC in a town. You usually enter a town, talk to everyone, and then just continue your travel. Breath of Fire II brought a nice fix: night. At night, most NPC go to their houses, doors are locked, and just a few NPC stay wandering around. You now go to a town twice (at daylight and at night), to check for hints.

Quests are usually long, take some time to finish, and give more experience points when finished than killing common enemies. And you need to talk with many NPC to get clues enough to find an answer. I am not saying a RPG must became a graphic adventure. But wouldn't be nice if opening the castle gate forces you to convince a thief in the local pub to go with you and pick it, but to do so you need to find an old traveller who knows how to reach the gate and another who can get you a nail...

From my point of view, networking games are a cheap way to hide a mediocre AI for the NPC in a game.

RB

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」

Korval
Member #1,538
September 2001

Quote:

From my point of view, networking games are a cheap way to hide a mediocre AI for the NPC in a game.

That all depends on the game. A Player-Killing-based network game (ala Quake), maybe (but it is almost always more fun to fight people than AI, simply because AI is not nearly far enough along to come close to emulating people). But a game like Everquest, no. That game as AI (crappy as it may be) because the game is players versus computer, not players killing players.

Quote:

However, the curve starts going down again. AI is now limited to a few functions: A*, builder, explorer and warrior.

I wouldn't go that far. It all depends on what kind of game you're creating. Besides, some people (*cough* Verant) can't even get A* right. Check out the Unreal-Bot AI. That's pretty advanced stuff (though I still think the original Reaper-Bot was better, since it actually learned the level without having the author place Bot-Path markers). Still not as good as a fight with a real human, though.

charSTAR
Member #2,230
April 2002

I agree with the people who seem to favour stat hiding. I think it comes down to what you think is fun. To me, a really fun game (in an RPG sense) is something that is realistic, but unlike actual reality.

I think that most input to the person controlling the player should be in two form, visual and aural. This puts a big strain on graphics and sound, but to me it is essential.

Any sort of "feelings" that would occur if the player was ACTUALLY in the game can be achieved through text. (Can anyone think of a better way?)
Since the only text is "feeling text" then the player doesnt have to read a massive amount of it. That is a good thing.

If there is "combat wise" anything that stands out about a weapon then you might use it. If you are a spell caster and can sense that it is magic you might want to use it. If it is lighter, then you might want to use it.

Also, it might look sweet on your character, so you might want to keep it. There can still be many ways to tell two weapons apart, but none of them will be exact.

You could add a function to the game that tests a weapon by swinging it around a little. This function might tell the player something usefull if he is skillfull enough.

---------------------------------

Specious reasoning is the best way to keep tigers away. How you ask? Well can you see any tigers around? I rest my case.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

For some cool AI, check out this (haven't tried it, but I've heard good things ;) )

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Korval
Member #1,538
September 2001

Quote:

Any sort of "feelings" that would occur if the player was ACTUALLY in the game can be achieved through text. (Can anyone think of a better way?) Since the only text is "feeling text" then the player doesnt have to read a massive amount of it. That is a good thing.

I don't like games that tell me what to feel. For a story-driven RPG, that's fine, because you aren't supposed to really be role playing. It's more like reading a book.

But, to create an immersive RPG, you can't tell the player what to feel. You are simply presenting him a world; he feels what your presentation of the world causes him to.

Quote:

You could add a function to the game that tests a weapon by swinging it around a little. This function might tell the player something usefull if he is skillfull enough.

Hiding reasonable information about a weapon can be very detrimental to the player. What you are doing, essentially, is randomly selecting a particular piece of equipment for a character. If it is of significantly less quality than his current equipment, then he may be killed in the next encounter. If the encounters aren't enough to kill the ill-prepared player, then they are too easy for the one who randomly got the high-quality equipment.

Furthermore, the player feels as though he has no control. Though he is making choices, these choices are, at best, informed by mere hints that have to be puzzled out and considered. People don't like to make uninformed choices, especially if their progress hinges on the choice.

At the same time, however, it would be nice for weapons/armor to have hidden powers that could only be revealed by taking them to certain people who can identify them.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Maybe you can leaf through a store copy of Ginsu Knives Monthly, which just happens to have reviews and ratings for the latest blades. Better than the same old same old ;)

Didn't FF VIII go that route? I've blocked a lot of memories of that game ....

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

ReyBrujo
January 2001

Well, with MUD language, there are two kinds of players: role players, those who really like being the character, talking about history, giving lesson to novices, only killing those according to historical reasons (Neidar dwarves killing only goblins according to Dragonlance, or elves being not friendly with dwarves, according to Tolkien). Some others are called power players. These players just go with enemies they know they have good equipment, kill them, take them and spents hours just killing and killing to grow as much as possible.

Guess, according to Korval ideas, RPG should be called PPG from now... Ain't I wrong?

RB

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」

Cage
Member #1,277
March 2001

Quote:

Didn't FF VIII go that route?

Well, in FFVIII, you found magazines around the world "Weapons Monthly" that described better and better weapons - for example, the July issue's gunblade would be a modest upgrade over the one described in the June issue. You then had to find the parts that it needed and upgrade to it at a junk shop.

Quote:

I've blocked a lot of memories of that game ....

Why? What parts were so appalling to you?

-----
"I'm dumb!. it prolly wont do anything just like Sub7 when u extract it to ur own system I'm dumb!." - theforgotten
"heh i got hit by sub7 before. I just dont know how i got it. It took me about 2 yrs to figure out which virus i had. I'm dumb!. then i started wanting to hack and i got sub7 just ot play around with it and i found the features in it that i had been affected by when i got the virus." - theforgotten

charSTAR
Member #2,230
April 2002

About feelings. You dont understand me. I am not talking about things like feeling happy, or feeling in love, or being in awe of something.

I am talking about things like the ability to predict the future, or being able to tell that a weapon is very good or bad. Things like sensing other peoples thoughts, etc...

Quote:

People don't like to make uninformed choices

You dont represent people as a whole, so dont speak for them. YOU dont like making uniformed choices... maybe alot of people dont, but surely there are some people that like having to take risks.

To me the best system is to have limited information, apart from that, you are on your own. If you really were in another world, then I am sure that each weapon wouldnt have a bar code on the side to tell how good it is. To me, its all about realism.

Specious reasoning is the best way to keep tigers away. How you ask? Well can you see any tigers around? I rest my case.

Bob
Free Market Evangelist
September 2000

Unless you're making Flight Simlator 3000 or History of Earth, then you don't want a realistic games. Those tend to be very slow paced and boring. After all, why play the game when you can do the exact same thing outside of your own home?
(exceptions made to sports games, of course)

Good games have suspension of disbeleif, which is NOT the same thing as realism. It is in fact fooling the brain into thinking that the newly created world is real. This is also called immersion.

Oh yeah, I vote for making informed choices :)

--
- Bob
[ -- All my signature links are 404 -- ]

spellcaster
Member #1,493
September 2001

This is similar to the skill-points vs. "learning by doing". While using XP points to buy skils might be an abstraction, it's IMHO better than using the learning by doing system.

Say you want to play a mage. Due to balancing issues, these normally start very weak. So, in order to kill a monster / wild animal with your weak spell it might take you a few tries, while you could kill it instantly with a sword (even as an untrained fighter).
But you have to use the spell, so you get better with it.

But this is no fun. Neither realistic. The point with mages is that they spend most of their idle time using/ practicing/ reading about magic.
But idle time is something we want to avoid in games.

Regarding the "information issue"... in "real life" most swords have very similar attributes. They are either sharp or not, they are either flexible or not. They fit well in your hand, or they feel clumsy.

In a game world they can have virtually all sorts of effects. They can make you stronger, increase your reputation, etc.
All these things are nice in a story... but in a story the writer knows these things before hand. In a game, it would be a guess.

And most gamers play because they are in control of the game. They feel confident playing it. And the more confident the player feels, the more fun he'll have... and that's what games are all about: Fun.

--
There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

charSTAR
Member #2,230
April 2002

I dont mean realism in the sense that the character sits behind a desk and does work, or goes to school and does homework or anything like that. And nothing like a flight sim. I mean realism as in you know its fake, but it almost feels real.

Everquest was not realistic because IF there was some fantasy world that you were in, you wouldnt just sit down and wait for a bad guy to suddenly appear out of nowhere so that you could kill him to get an item which you KNOW he is going to have... thats crap.

I mean a game that is basically a book that writes itself, depending on the character's choices. The game's goodness can be measured like this:

How many possible story lines are there: A variety of storylines are (IMHO) good. Infinite obviously being the best.

How many of them are exciting, believable, funny...(anything else depending on the taste of the player): This is the hard part.

1)You might have a single possible story line (sorta like Zelda) which is really good. This is a good game in my opinion. This sort of game is mainly dependent on story writing skills.

2)You have infinite possible outcomes (or no set finish line, aka Everquest). This is also good, but it depends on whether each outcome is engaging or not.

What it comes down to is this:

You can make a good/bad story into a game, or you can have a game which CREATES a good/bad story.

Personally my ranking would go as follows.

1)Game which creates a great story. (Flexible, Non-Predetermined, and good).

2)Great story, in game form. (Unflexible, Predetermined and good.)

3) Game which creates a bad story. (Flexible, Non-Predetermined, and bad).

4)Bad Story, in game form. (Unflexible, Predetermined and bad.)

And about choices... I find it hard to immerse myself in a game in which I know how many hitpoints I have, or exactly what my weapon does.

IMO A truly immersive game is one which doesnt let you know everything, and doesnt let you kill anything just because you have the right equipment, or because you are a high level. The game has a nice balance of action and adventure.

Eg//
Sure, only doing action might increase your skills (and I DONT mean skill points, I mean your actual ability to know when to run, or when do do a spell, or even just your reflexes) BUT you wont realise that you have a curse on you which is slowing you down. If you had talked to the shaman, you would know this, and cure it.

Or you might only do the adventure side of the game and when the time comes for you to defend yourself, you find it hard.

This is a good game in my opinion.

To implement a game like this you would need to have a great adventure side of the game, but you would also need a great action side. For the action side, point and click is terrible (IMO). Some thing like Unreal or Quake is needed.

This would be really hard for a MMORPG due to bandwidth, but might become feasible if you limit users to only those with broadband. (In a few years time, this might not seem like finantial suicide either.

I am usually terrible at exlplaining things, so I will try to clarify if there are any misunderstandings.

Korval
Member #1,538
September 2001

Quote:

A truly immersive game is one which doesnt let you know everything, and doesnt let you kill anything just because you have the right equipment, or because you are a high level. The game has a nice balance of action and adventure.

No, an immersive game is a game that causes a state of immersion. Your supposition is that the state of immersion can be caused by:

1) Not knowing everything about ones equipment.
2) Not killing anything just because you have the right equipment or are of a high level.

How exactly do these help cause a state of immersion?

My theories on immersion are as follows.

The game's main character should be closely controlled by the player. That is, the player should have direct control over the character. Point-and-click character motion/fighting doesn't work for this.

In an RPG, a character's stats/abilities must figure into combat, but so must the player's. For example, to activate a spell, the wizard must know the spell and be of the appropriate level to cast it. But, also, the player should have to do more than simply select the spell from a list. There should be some interaction that allows the player's skill at playing the game to figure into the character doing things.

Whether or not the story is created by the game (or even if there is much of a story at all) is immaterial. A story is useful as a motivational tool to keep the character moving from place to place. But, if you take Zelda, the story itself is fairly thin, and exists mainly to get you to travel and adventure.

The controls need to be responsive. That is, the character should not take a significant ammount of time to perform an action that the player commands, unless part of the penalty for that action is that it takes time to pull off.

Good graphics/sound/music are also important for immersion.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Quote:

For example, to activate a spell, the wizard must know the spell and be of the appropriate level to cast it. But, also, the player should have to do more than simply select the spell from a list. There should be some interaction that allows the player's skill at playing the game to figure into the character doing things.

Paper Mario did that well. ;)

Quote:

What parts were so appalling to you?

The beginning, the end, and that one big part in between.

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

ReyBrujo
January 2001

While playing a common console game, you usually save as often as possible, and when you die, or do something wrong, you just reset the game. Would you play a game where you actually cannot do it? Where it is impossible to inverse-enginner the saved game to restore your status? If you die and reset the game, the next time you start it will "remember" you died?

Let's face it, there are just a few who like the "hard" way: dying in a RPG is just a consequence of a bad decision, or losing a town in a strategic game is not because "destiny" or "fate".

I wish the player "assume" his own responsabilities. Example: when I play with my character in a MUD, if I attack a dragon, I know there are just a very insignificant chance I can beat it. Many times enemies block the exits, and if you start the battle, you must kill or die.

When designing a game, you must check for death penalties, saving posibilities, status increment, storylines, etc. But, unluckily, players got used to the FF system:

• a basic and general idea (you are the hero that needs to beat the empire) with small branches for each secondary starring

• a menu driven system (Attack, Special, Magic and Item)

• access to full information (weapons/armours/items, player statistics, etc)

• fixed experience (you get the same amount of experience no matter the size of your enemy, your own size or the number of times you have killed it)

• unlimited try-error opportunities (wield this sword, try to kill the enemy, reset, wield the halberd...)

I am not saying this is wrong. I bet something "different" from this idea might make RPG lovers mad (imagine you cannot save the game anymore: it does the game automagically each 5 minutes, in example).

As Spellcaster said, "buying" skills is something not very common in RPG, but is actually something basic. That you want to be a mage doesn't mean you cannot train your club skill, in example. If it suits your story (usually mages cannot cast spells while in contact with great amounts of iron, so you can just prevent mages from wielding iron weapons), then it is ok. Just try to make the player select between this and that. If not, you will fall into FF3: 12 characters that can learn all exactly the same spells, the 9999hp/999mp and the maximun strength/vigor/etc statistics. For the game, each has a story and a background. For the player, they are all the same. A good game should prevent that.

RB

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」

Plucky
Member #1,346
May 2001

I guess this is an crpg thread rather games in general, but I'll butt in with my hackneyed thoughts.

One question is whether hiding stats and creating a more "realistic" method in determining an object or character's state is an improvement. Personally I think hiding stats is great... if you can do it in a fun manner, which I believe is rather difficult to do. I think korval, many posts back, made a good point on this question. You don't want this added realism to be a burden.

For example you've run into a red dragon of the Orient, and after a stupendous battle for the ages, you've defeated the monstrous beast. Your reward is some progress in experience (which is unknown) and a fancy-looking gem-encrusted shiny and somewhat fluorescent two-handed sword. Is it the mythical blade of Al-Legrolund? or just a ceremonial burial sword fit for a second class noble? No idea. Ok, what would it take to find out?

I claimed that a game is fun when the interactive effort and its reward are balanced. Now the gamer has just spent six hours of his life watching his character die a few times, lose a few comrades, chug a gallon of healing potions, and sustain earth-shattering blows. Not to mention sighs and nags from the gamer's girlfriend / mother. To identify the weapon and its characteristics, would it take:
1) a simple spell of knowing, a trip to a magic shoppe? or
2) Another hour (real time) of trial and error to determine the approximate qualities of the sword. And even then you're not sure.

Hmmmm. Does the reward balance the effort? For those that say aye, this game could be a blast. For those that say nay, stay away.

As for the question of realism. Realism is not what gamers want. (Yes, a sweeping generalization but I'm going to stand by it.) We want self-consistency. We expect a consistent game world with consistent rules. Consistency could of course approach reality, but realism is obviously not required for consistency.

Immersion is the result of this self-consistency. A rpg is not a requirement for immersion. We've all been immersed in playing Pac-man or Star Wars video games. All it takes is one measly shot down a shaft miles long to blow up the Death Star? That's not real! Shouldn't the gamer spend hours practicing his character's jedi powers before attempting that shot? ;) And yet we feel immersed in these games.

Saved games. Well that question has been debated ever since you were allowed to save game states. I would just point to the rule of thumb: effort vs. reward. E.g. if many resets to saved games are necessary to make progress by way of trial and error, I would question the gameplay rather than the ability to save games.

One last tidbit. Why is 'The Sims' so popular? A game about 'simulating' real life? Gamers must be really bored to play a boring RPG about life. ;)

Flecko
Member #566
August 2000

For the record, I HATE the Sims. Tedious, and boring. People that are obsessed with themselves seem to love it though. Go figure ;D

-Flecko

ben's drivel
A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer. This message brought to you by Old Kentucky Shark of Kentucky Nightmare Whiskey Co.

ReyBrujo
January 2001

If "hiding stats == reality" is your equation, you are wrong. I said that hiding stats forces the player to look closely to what is happening than showing him every statistic.

Before releasing a game, you usually test it for some time to decide if it was as balanced as it should be. Then release it, and if players think it is not that well balanced, you just adjust it. If the player dies several times in the same place, he should realize he is still very small for that specific place. You can just do what many others do: to enter the High Lord Castle, you need to get the key. And getting the key is (theorically) a long way that makes you grow enough to be able to enter the castle. What happens if the programmer removes the key? The castle is open, and the player, even at low levels, is able to enter it. The first enemy slays him with a 550hp blow. Was it the programmer or the player fault? If the castle is inside your hometown, it is yours. If it is situated in the Dark World were the spirits are sent to our "plane" to attack, it is the players' fault.

I have created four types of quests: introductory, minor, major and ultimate. I have put only one ultimate quest per region, major and minor mixed with the town task master, and at least one introductory, which just asks for buying a knife at the town shop, bringing a blanket hidden in one of the beds in the Inn, etc. Ultimates need some time to finish, they are dangerous (there is a real death risk), are tricky and need interaction with AT LEAST five or six NPC. If you talk with all of them, you will find out the weapon, armour and item you need, the type and strength of the enemy to beat (if any), and more important, what, where and how to do what you need to do to finish it.

You say: Does the reward balance the effort? That is something YOU measure: the steps (should) give you all the information you need: the type of enemy, its strength, the item you are going to get, the place you must go, etc. Quests aren't necessary to complete the game, but they should give you better items, and should fulfill some holes you might notice in the history (much likely Shadow dreams did in FF3).

You are encouraged to finish as many quests as possible in an indirect way: shop weapons and armours are very similar. It is not, as I said, you buy the complete suit from TownOne and with that is enough to reach TownTwo. That trick works for the first two or three towns, but then you need to start talking with NPCs and such to get clues about how to continue your travel.

RB
PS: Sims? Never played it. I don't like simulators. But... a simulator about life? You have only one! Enjoy it!

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」

Korval
Member #1,538
September 2001

If you want to see non-linearity done well, check out an old PC game called Star Control 2. They did an excellent job of throwing you into a living, non-linear world. They did pretty much everything right in that game.

As for the Sims, from what people tell me, the best part of the game is torturing the person in question. Wall off the bathroom, and the guy starts doing the "pee-pee dance". And various other things (like polygamy, driving the guy insane, etc).

Plucky
Member #1,346
May 2001

Quote:

If "hiding stats == reality" is your equation, you are wrong. I said that hiding stats forces the player to look closely to what is happening than showing him every statistic.

Hiding stats is not reality (never said so), but the common complaint is that explicit stats are too unrealistic; therefore obscuring stats can be construed as being more realistic. There is nothing wrong with obscuring stats in principle; I welcome this development. However, I feel that it is harder to balance gameplay because the game developer need to be more innovative. You seem to have made a good start. I only gave some examples to show how easy it was to go wrong.

Quote:

You say: Does the reward balance the effort? That is something YOU measure: the steps (should) give you all the information you need: the type of enemy, its strength, the item you are going to get, the place you must go, etc.

I think you misunderstood me. The effort/reward balance is for the gamer, not the character. The gamer should feel rewarded for his efforts, not by those of his characters. The reward could be things like additional plot, significant advancement of his character, unlocking new parts of the game, etc. I mentioned about expectation, which can refer to rewards. If the gamer expects a good reward, and it is given, game balance is more fair. Instead, if the gamer receives additional work with no immediate reward to tie him over, then the gamer could feel frustrated. Be sure to separate character reward from gamer reward. Not all games are rpgs. ;)

Play-testing can find some of these problems, but a fundamental gameplay issue found in testing could lead to a whole rewrite. And we want to avoid that. (In real life such problems are solved by way of Hollywood... too much got invested so it's cheaper to just sell the flawed game [or movie] as best you can and start over with another.)

One more thing about stats. It would be interesting to hear opinions on stats in wargames. Often, hard-core war gamers raise a big ruckus when stats are not explicit. That is the game mechanics are not hidden. You would think that some would be interested in obscuring some of this (afterall, do we truly know how much damage an M-1A1 can inflict on a T-80?), but this doesn't seem to be true. They find the game more fun when they understand game mechanics. Perhaps this can relate to rpg gamers?

Finally, I tossed in The Sims, because it's not really a simulation. It's an rpg set at the dawn of the 21st century of an everyday persona. Not much different than trying to roleplay a woodcutter in an online crpg.... Well, ok, a little bit different. But the interesting thing is that it's an rpg without obsessions over stats. And many people find this fun. Hmmm.

spellcaster
Member #1,493
September 2001

In your normal rpg, fights are normally strategical. They are more like boar / cardgames, so you'd expect to get all the board / cardgame information, mainly because you don't have that many clues on what's going on.

If I attack with my spell, and see a "200" points damage, that's something I can interprete. Now without that number, you need to add more explicit violence, you need to make the fight more real.
So, "Attacking for 200 damage" might become "Yor fireball turnw most of his hair to ashes. The smell of burned flesh fills the air... You hear a panicking scream as the Orc realized that his eyes just got vaporized."
Or you need to display it graphically.
Not something I want to have in a game.

Another thing: Instead of displaying the stats as numbers (200str) or text (strong enough) you might consider to use colored gems or something, which change the intensity of the color depending on the stat.
So the prorgam displays the information in a way the player can not handle precicly, but gives still enough informations to base decisions on.

--
There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

1   2   3 

Go to: