Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Game Design & Concepts » Good game design.

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
Good game design.
Flecko
Member #566
August 2000

I was reading this months Computer Games magazine and there is an editorial on the last page that sort of caught my eye. Its part of an on-going look at current MMORPGs. This month they look at a game called Progress Quest. ( http://www.progressquest.com ) The article never actually goes into what the game is about, but from reading it, I could tell something was fishy. It turns out, if you download this "MMORPG" that it just plays itself. Its just a stats thing with no graphics at all. It simulates an MMORPG using silly names for equipment and spells and whatnot.

At first, I was kinda amused with the whole thing. Then, the more I let it run, the more depressing it was. I consider myself a big RPG fan. This "game" was sort of a kick in the nuts to RPG fans. I mean, it took the core of what I like about RPGs (flashy equipment and big stat numbers, and eyecandy of course) and made it all trivial. It brought me to sort of a realization. Are RPGs just storys with numbers attached? I mean, I've played through the original Dragon Warrior more times than I can count, and now I'm asking myself, why? I mean, I'm currently playing Dungeon Siege, and realize how thin it is on story. The game feels really cool when you're playing it, but my real joy in it comes from looking for better equipment and spells.

I guess it just sort of saddens me to see that at the core of it all, I'm an equipment junky. I quit playing Everquest after 3 years. It took me 3 freakin years to realize what a crapfest Everquest is. I think I ruined my brother Mike's life by getting him started on it. He still plays, him and his wife have level 60 characters in a HUGE guild on the Prexus server. I'd just like to think that my favorite type of game isn't so shallow.

This brings me to my question, whats in good game design? My current project is a 3d shooter. Its pretty much been my dream to bring shooters back to life after pretty much dying with 16 bit consoles(yes I know they're not dead, but I also know that they've looked alot healthier.) My main idea was to let the plot unfold through each successive level and allow the player to upgrade his ship based on how well he played the level. But now in foresight, I see that this is just the devil child of the RPG paradigm I mentioned earlier. So I need help! I want to know what can be done to innovate. A lively discussion on the topic would really help me out. I mean, this same phenomenon dates all the way back to River City Ransom on the NES.

Please, voice your opinion! Thanks,
-Flecko

ben's drivel
A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer. This message brought to you by Old Kentucky Shark of Kentucky Nightmare Whiskey Co.

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

RPGs are, in my opinion, long dull number experiences for people who have never read anything they liked so don't know what real plots are. And they are invariably about townsfolk and fairies and elves, which is a major turn off for most.

But how good a game is can be measured in the number of hours for which people remain interested, and if you can come up with a system which appears complicated enough to keep people entertained for years even though it is only superficially so, then you have come up with a good game. Look at the undeniable classic Elite - how complicated do you actually think its universe generator is, bearing in mind the whole (original release) game runs in 21kb?

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Geeze... Thomas.. Thats a bummer. I enjoy good rpgs. And its not like I don't know what a real plot is, I just Like getting swept up by most plots (except Passions shudder). And if you doubt that I know a good plot from a not so good one... well shame on you ;) LOTR imho is a good plot, and I've known it since I was 13 ;), belive it or no I also enjoyed those 'A space audissey' books, The Dark Tower series by Stephen King, a trillogy called the 'Shadow War' by Chris Claremont && George Lucas (based on Willow), the massive set by Raymond E. Feist && Friends, and now the 'Dune' series by Frank Herbert. (these are just my favorites, the ones I couldn't put down).

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

gnudutch
Member #951
February 2001

Flecko I agree with you, RPGs put too much emphasis on equipment and stats. I do believe you need these things in RPGs, but as you say today's RPGs have devolved into basically pokemon for big kids. I see player stats as being a form of "crack". Once you start building your character, you don't want to stop because of all the time and effort you've put in already.

But when it comes to shooters, I think stats/weapons upgrades are a must! It makes more sense for a shooter too, since you are driving a shooting machine, and machines are typically upgradable.

Humans aren't "upgradable" in the same sense, and so RPG stats are one way of simulating character growth and development.

Also, having equipment and adjustable stats really adds another dimension to your game engine/world. Just think how boring Bomberman would be if you were limited to the one small bomb. But the addition of more bombs, bigger bombs, trigger etc... these are simple code additions but make the game world so much richer and rewarding.

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Depends on what RPGs you are referring to. The old NES and some SNES RPGs did focus mainly on stats and equipment. Newer RPGs nowadays focus more on character development and story development rather than the equipment and stats.

Flecko
Member #566
August 2000

I guess maybe you guys are right. Play time and character development are what count. I mean, Deus Ex was all about your character development, and despite the x-files story, this game was totally sweet. The options that keep you playing might be more important than the level of innovation. Lords of Thunder for the TG-16-cd has to be my favorite shooter of all time, based on several of its traits. RPG, great sound track, character building, it had it all. Perhaps I should just take inspiration from whats already out there. I mean, there have been tons of good shooters over the years. I think maybe I over-reacted to Progress Quest although I think everyone should still check it out. Just to see what it does at least. Anyways I still am open to suggestion on what makes a good game design.

Thanks all,
-Flecko

ben's drivel
A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer. This message brought to you by Old Kentucky Shark of Kentucky Nightmare Whiskey Co.

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Quote:

Flecko: Anyways I still am open to suggestion on what makes a good game design.

Good game design is trial and error. There is no set method for making good game design. "Good game design" alternates from designer to designer. You have to decide that on your own.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

Quote:

Just think how boring Bomberman would be if you were limited to the one small bomb.

Imagine how dull it would be if it weren't multiplayer and all you were playing against were some fairly odd balloons. Or, stop imagining and have a look at Eric and the Floaters. My point? This is a real world situation where a company has produced an alright game, then taken the few extra steps to turn it into a brilliant game. So the moral is - don't give up!

gnudutch
Member #951
February 2001

>Imagine how dull it would be if it weren't multiplayer and all you were playing against were some fairly odd balloons.

Hello, that sounds like the game I'm describing, NES Bomberman. Which is still 100% fun, I still play it.

>Or, stop imagining and have a look at Eric and the Floaters.

Hmmm... http://juegomania.metropoliglobal.com/emuladores/spectrum/eric_and_the_floaters.html

Looks like the precursor to Bomberman. So?

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

What is this, the 'ignore half the post' forum group? To answer gnudutch using only quotes from the post he was responding to :

Quote:

Looks like the precursor to Bomberman. So?

Quote:

This is a real world situation where a company has produced an alright game, then taken the few extra steps to turn it into a brilliant game. So the moral is - don't give up!

kdevil
Member #1,075
March 2001

Plots definitely took a back seat to other aspects of RPGs in some games I could mention. But I won't, because I have to go to class right now!

-----
"I am the Black Mage! I casts the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

Mars
Member #971
February 2001

The whole stats and mindless equipment grabbing aspect of RPGs is what I don't like about them. And boring menu driven fights...

I think Fallout is a good example for succeeded RPG design. It builds up a really intensive atmosphere, has a nice plot and really features role playing - if you develop your character differently, the game will be completely different. Furthermore it's not too much of stats and the fights are interesting because they are tactical, similar to Jagged Alliance etc.

Probably Baldur's Gate features a lot of those cool things, but it has this medieval fantasy mood that distracted me up to now.

--
This posting is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Flecko
Member #566
August 2000

That link you put up is a pretty good read Chris. I also have read Game Architecture and Design as well. Despite all this good material to get me going in the right direction, I still get a tad confused. I mean, I sort of know how the game should play without even thinking about it. I mean, we've all played lots of shooters, and we know basically how it works. I could provide a few twists here and there, but thats it. How do groundbreaking games get made? I mean fun or not, Black & White was groundbreaking. A whole new style of game. I also remember playing Military Madness on my TG-16 until all crazy hours of the morning with my brother Mike. We hadn't played anything quite like it before, but now, I don't even play wargames.

I understand that not everyone can write a "new" game, and alot of people don't even aim to, but it just bothers me that my design process is "it'll be like game X with a little bit of game Y thrown in to spice it up." That breaks one of the fundamental rules layed out in Game Design and Architecture. You're not supposed to set out to do whats already been done, only better. Thats what bothers me. Its like a puzzle wrapped in an enigma. I mean, I'm still gonna make this game the way I want no matter what. Oh well. I'm about ready to give up on innovation. I mean, Dungeon Siege is still fun even if its just Diablo and then some. I guess for the time being I'll just assume that game design works itself out through playtesting.

Thanks for the comments though everyone, and if you have anything else to add, I'd love to hear it.

EDIT: Ohh...on the subject of Baldurs Gate, am I the only one in history that doesn't like this game? I mean, is it really a good design decision to build in the need to "pause" the game so you can set up each attack, and then unpause it to watch your characters fall flat on their faces. I really wanted to like it, but it just didn't feel right to me.
RE-EDIT: Oh well, just my $0.02. There ya go kdevil ;D

-Flecko

ben's drivel

kdevil
Member #1,075
March 2001

Quote:

Oh well, just my 0.02c

Don't you mean either $0.02 or 2.00c?

Oh, and the only real stat-thing in a RPG that I actually liked was the job system in FF5.

-----
"I am the Black Mage! I casts the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

ReyBrujo
January 2001

Ok, my own experience:

I have a japanese NES, so I could only play japanese cartridges. Luckily, they give a lot of importance to RPG there, and thus I could play Dragon Ball, Final Fantasy, Zelda, Princess Bananan and many other RPGs.

Since they were completely in japanese (at the age of 10 I could not understand a word), I just remembered the position of the commands, and played with that. In other words, didn't enter the player history.

Then came SNES. My collection is somewhat big: Zelda, Secret of Evermore, Secret of Mana, Secret of the Stars, Earthbound, The 7th Saga, Robotrek, Might and Magic III, Final Fantasy II and III, Final Fantasy Mystic Quest, Breath of Fire I and II, Chrono Trigger, Lufia I and II, and Super Mario RPG. These all games show you "numbers". And after some time, you just want to see only 9 where there is actually a 2 or 3.

I also play original RPG: especially LoTR, AD&D (especially Dragonlance), Quest, Warhammer (though it is not one), Star Wars, Paranoia (*shudder*) and some others. If you want to build a RPG, try playing some of these games. You will have, after a few campaigns, a completely different view of them.

Nowadays I play a MUD, Genesis, which in its first years showed also numbers, but since five years ago the wizards (or keepers of the game) decided to hide all that information. So, since then you don't know if your character is 210/210hp and 100/100mp. You know your character is "feeling very well", "slightly hurt", "somewhat hurt", "hurt", "feeling rather hurt", "very hurt", "in a bad shape", "in a very bad shape", "terribly hurt", "barely alive" or "at death's door", and about mana, "mentally in full vigor", etc.

The MUD has six statistics (strength, agility, constitution, intelect, wisdom and discipline). Those numbers are also hidden. You just know you are "very far from advancing to mighty", "far from advancing to crushing", etc (strength), and so on. Also skills levels (like animal handling, pick pocketing, spell casting, etc) are hidden (you can be an expert journeyman, novice acolyte, superior professional, etc). There is also a mortal level guide (novice, greenhorne, beginner, apprentice, wanderer, adventurer, adept, great adventurer, veteran, expert, rising hero, hero, titan, champion, legend and myth), but all titles a character can get in any guild is also "string" coded. Weapon and armours statistics are also given only to smiths in just six different steps. You don't know how much experience points killing an orc or finishing a quest gives you. Your progress is measured in "You have made insignificant/slight/little/some/nice/good... progress since you last logged in.". Guild taxes (how much experience you get goes to your level inside the guild, and how much to your character) are not mentioned.

After playing it for some years, I realized this way is much better. You forget about numbers. You don't join a guild because it has the lowest tax and therefore you get more experience points to your character. You know the green dragonscale armour gives you some protection against poison, but you cannot guess if it is better than the protection given by the chain hauberk, or by smearing soapweed (herb). Of course, we all know the mithril-bladed battleaxe is the best axe in the game, but non-smiths have a hard time choosing between a mighty dwarven cleaver and a long-handled steel battleaxe.

When playing a MUD, you usually try to develop your character, giving it a story, an actual background and a somewhat clear future. But this is because you interact with many other players. You need to know a lot of Tolkien to join Rangers of Ithilien or Gondor, or the Morgul Mages. You need to know about Dragonlance to join the Blue or the Red Dragonarmy of Ansalon, the Knights of Solamnia or the Dwarven Warriors of the Neidar Clan (*cheer*). You need to know about the story developed exclusively for the game to join the Union of the Shadow Warriors, the Calian Warriors, Gladiator of Athas or Mercenaries.

Why a video-game usually focus on statistics and equipment? Because there are not many reason for a player to develop a history for its own character. And there is not enough interaction between the player and the NPCs. Let me see... Ever played Chrono Trigger? When Chrono is arrested after coming back from the past for the first time, in the trial witnesses come and tell what you have or haven't done for them. The small girl will cry and accusse you if you could not take back her cat. The ancient one will accuse you if you ate his meal. This is what I call interaction. If you can give a game more interaction of this way, you will be able to let the player choose if he wants to be evil or good.

I am working on a long project, where you are free to do whatever you want to do. The main difference with any other RPG is that there is not a determined goal to reach. You know the king of a castle in some reign is evil, and that the town surrounding it are preparing an attack. But you are free to join the king or the towns, and becoming the hero (later in the game) for one of the sides. Once you join one, the others will always be suspicious at you. That interaction is not enough, of course. So, you are not alone. There are three others characters (chosen when you create your own character), starting at random towns, which will also try to become heroes. They will be given all resources AI can give to them (especially patterns of your own behaviour: they will know if you like running away when having just half of your total health, if you like sneaking, swords or casting fireballs, etc, etc, etc).

This game will try to hide numbers as much as possible, therefore forcing the player to buy each weapon he finds and trying it, comparing with others, and finally choosing one of them. In a page somewhere in the net I read something true: if a player says "the girl who can absorb magic" rather than Celes, or "the guy who can use the slot" rather than Setzer (FF3), you haven't made him/her enter the plot deep enough. However, the most difficult for a game designer is giving each character a personality. An advice is not giving him the chance to change the name of the main character. Or forcing him to spend less time in known areas (in example, giving less experience for a monster kill each time the player kills it). Or bringing "advanced" opponents to the areas where he is at (evil monsters raid a town where the holy player is staying at random time, killing NPCs that are not "resurrected" anymore). Or limiting the number of opponents (why there are infinite monsters in Cyan castle?) to a fixed amount. Once all of them have been defeated, don't let new monsters appear (after some time at least).

Just my opinion.

RB

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」
Mitsuko's last words, Battle Royale

Johan Peitz
Member #9
April 2000

ReyBrujo> applause Well said!

--
johan peitz :: things I made

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I tend to agree about the numbers thing. If you know exactly how good a certain weapon is, it totally eliminates the need for other weapons. If more things are hidden, it forces the user to be more involved.

It helps to add hints and stuff into the game then ... As in, a wise old person may be able to tell you that weapon X is the best weapon against baddie Y. I think this makes the game more believable.

Putting numbers all over the place almost makes me think that a programmer designed the game. ;)

Sirocco
Member #88
April 2000

Quote:

Paranoia (*shudder*)

Remember, citizen, the computer is your friend! Scrub my boots, infrared!

Sorry 'bout that. I remember those days... heh.

-->
Graphic file formats used to fascinate me, but now I find them rather satanic.

spellcaster
Member #1,493
September 2001

I don't think that games need realism...
But I think that the "no numbers" idea fits the (text) MUDs well.
But in a Rougue like game, I'd prefer to have precice stats. I'm not sure why, but I guess it's because the RPG elements in games like Diablo are more like "character management games" (similar to creating buildings in RTS or researching a science in a CIV game).

Having precice stats allows you to create a nice 2nd level economy. Check ebay for diablo items and you see what I mean.
Collecting is one of the real fun things in Diablo and other (graphical) online RPGs.

This might be due to the fact that MUDs allow for better Role Playing, while graphical RPGs are either Hack'n'Slay or Puzzle centric.

But, I think I'm not a hardcore RPG gamer. Like, I prefer playing the game to following the story of a game. I enjoy mini games, while others say that they distract from the game / story.

--
There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Korval
Member #1,538
September 2001

Quote:

I tend to agree about the numbers thing. If you know exactly how good a certain weapon is, it totally eliminates the need for other weapons. If more things are hidden, it forces the user to be more involved.

That assumes a pretty simple weapon attribute system, where the sole basis of a weapon can be boiled down to a single number. A better idea would be having several numbers, all of which matter in different ways (speed of attack, damage, magical properties, etc). For example, in FF2, I recall many times when I abandoned my most "powerful" sword for one with elemental properties against certain creatures.

Even better, have different weapons behave very differently. The techniques one uses for fighting with a short sword are very different from those when using a long sword. Make the RPG take that into account. If a character finds a long sword, but the character doesn't know how to use it, then the character will either have to learn it, or abandon it. Learning long sword gives you different abilities from short sword, but you will have to take time to do so (time you're not spending mastering short sword). A 5 damage short sword and a 5 damage long sword are not equal in such a system.

In any case, you probably should have sufficient information to make reasonable decisions. To make object properties hidden (ala Rogue) means that identifying objects becomes part of the gameplay. It can be very annoying if you find two swords, but you need to drop one, and you can't make an intelligent decision on which one to leave.

gnudutch
Member #951
February 2001

Thomas: I have no idea what your point is. Are you saying Floaters was not a good game because it didn't have enough enemies, or because it's single player? That's not what we're talking about here.

I made the parallel between RPG stats and Bomberman since Bomberman possesses a form of stats (bomb size, number of bombs). You however seem to be talking about the natural evolution of a game design.

ReyB: well said! I only hope my designs will be 1% as deep and engaging as a good MUD.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Quote:

That assumes a pretty simple weapon attribute system

Not necessarily... but I understand where you're coming from. Numbers does not mean bad, just as no number does not mean good. Both systems can work, it's just that it seems that raw numbers usually prevail.

I have limited experience with RPGs, so perhaps I am mistaken - but from what I've seen, with most games you continually dump your current weapon for the best one in the shop. The most variety appears to be in the 'accessories' where there usually is no clear 'best' choice for everything.

Quote:

any case, you probably should have sufficient information to make reasonable decisions

That is very true. To make the gamer feel clueless about his possessions is a good way to lose him.

Plucky
Member #1,346
May 2001

A good game is fun.

A really good game is a lot of fun for a lot of people.

Some games are deemed bad by some, good by others. It is rare to find a game deemed fun by all.

A game deemed a lot of fun by all is called THE GREATEST GAME OF ALL TIME. Have you heard of it?

A game is an interaction where after some effort, a reward is given to the player. A good balance between reward and effort results in fun. This balance is loosely referred to as gameplay. Obviously a poor balance results in deletion of the game. Different examples of what different people find rewarding: improvement in character stats and equipment, solving a mystery/puzzle, finding out what happens, conquering the world, beating the other military force / corporation / computer / friends / etc., creating a world / city / persona / universe / etc., forgetting reality, socializing, etc.

A lot of game design articles have rules of thumbs for making games fun. Often times those rules of thumb apply to genres. Two things to look for in these design articles: insights into what different people find fun, and that the rules of thumb are just rules of thumb.

An innovative game is a game that balances interactive effort and subsequent reward in a novel way. “Original gameplay.” Some ideas for gameplay can be found by asking, “What would I (or anyone else) find fun to do (that could be implemented on my intended gaming platform)?” A really good innovative game often gives birth to a new genre (e.g. Castle Wolfenstein, Dune/Command&Conquer). Other times it sparks a new era for a particular genre (e.g. Fallout, Quake & Internet).

Genres that gamers find boring are ripe for innovation.

There’s no shame in us amateurs making clone games. We hone our skills creating games with proven gameplay. We learn hands-on what makes a game fun.

A game without any interaction is called a book. A game with cutscenes without any interaction is called a movie.

The gaming industry is approaching the size of Hollywood in terms of revenue. Imagine big blockbusters from big money production houses, some original dramas that win awards, endless sequels and copycats, and those novel artsy games with nuggets of original gameplay. Sounds like the state of gaming today! But we have an advantage in this entertainment medium: a young Jane can program a game in her room that approaches the designation: THE GREATEST GAME OF ALL TIME.

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

I agree that a lot of RPGs are 'number games'. Lots of people do like it like that, really. Often it turns it into more of a strategy/rpg like Final Fantasy Tactics, but an RPG brand none the less.

But, imo, most RPGs are about plot progression. You need to make the player feel like he is part of the action, and make him/her hang on the edge of their seat until they fall off, tumbling to the floor, splitting open their head and bringing you into a huge litigation process.......errr... maybe not that far, but something like it ;D

Stuff like Runescape should be a crime to have on the internet, available to innocent people. It is complete numbers and flashy colors. The game pretty much does play itself -- especially with all of the auto-bots out there for it.

I plan to do an online rpg similar to that of Final Fantasy Tactics. Although the online version will have no story, I hope to have an amazing story for the offline portion of the game. I've got numerous people to turn to for help -- most of which have spent months on some great written scripts for RPG Maker games.

When making a serious game, I'm sure to collect ideas for every last detail. Right down to what color the interface would look best in, and what the spell names should be. It's not only fun, but I get to sit down with a friend and a binder for 72 hours straight, talking about what we love, and hate, about all sorts of games. Among other things, like what we would do if we were immortal ;D

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

1   2   3 

Go to: