Why do we all wear glasses
superstar4410
Member #926
January 2001

us programmers,

its it cause were nerds like that
;D

Don't take yourself too seriously, but do take your responsibilities very seriously.

wolfman8k
Member #508
July 2000

I don't.
(As you can see in my picture)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[ Machine Ball - Futuristic 3D Sport ]

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

No no no...

It is because we are not ashamed. Everyone else hides behind contact lenses. 8)

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Of course, there are those with neither .... ::)

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Inphernic
Member #1,111
March 2001

I can't read two centimeters high (relatively big) text if I go farther than two meters away from the source (like that allegro.cc image at the top of this page). There's nothing funny in that, but check this out : my driver's license doesn't deny me from driving without glasses. ;D ;D

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Deus: The new swedish driver's licences are like that too ;D
Not that I have one (yet), but my father got his renewed a while back. Now, he has almost as bad eyesight as me, yet his driver's license states he can drive without glasses. 8)

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

jakerohs
Member #485
June 2000

I don't wear glasses - I have a giant monocle. :o

An Ly
Member #185
April 2000

There is a theory that goes along the lines of:

When humans are doing near work (reading, computers etc), our eyes are accommodating (or doing work) to see clearly at the near distance. To ease this stress on our visual system, the eyes may grow in length so that when we look at near, our eyes do not have to accommodate to see clearly, alleviating the work needed. The trade off is blurry distance vision. This is a theory for the development of short sightedness (myopia).

Hence, computer "nerds" do a hell of a lot of nearwork and thus require spectacles?

This is just a theory and doesn't work 100% of the time. However, there is a lot of chicken experiments which point to this conclusion.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

So what you're saying is....

Buy a big screen and sit far away. ;D

Cage
Member #1,277
March 2001

Nahhhh, buy a big screen and sit really close. That way you get the effect of sitting in the front row in the theatre (that effect, BTW, would be a crik in your neck for six days ;D). But hey, I was nearsighted before I ever hit computers. I always knew I shouldn't have repeatedly poked my eyeballs with a pencil when I was bored...:D::)

-----
"I'm dumb!. it prolly wont do anything just like Sub7 when u extract it to ur own system I'm dumb!." - theforgotten
"heh i got hit by sub7 before. I just dont know how i got it. It took me about 2 yrs to figure out which virus i had. I'm dumb!. then i started wanting to hack and i got sub7 just ot play around with it and i found the features in it that i had been affected by when i got the virus." - theforgotten

An Ly
Member #185
April 2000

Oh and popular theory no. 2: Genetics

Mars
Member #971
February 2001

I wear glasses because they look cool. contact lenses just would not fit my style and destroy the general aura of intelligence around me.;D

I guess that theory about the eyes growing differently because you focus on close things (or far things) is pretty justified. I have always read a lot and sat in front of the computer...

I wonder how many if any people here are long-sighted...

--
This posting is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Well, I've had nearsightedness since I was about 5 or so.. that is, before I came into contact with computers in any major extent.

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

Greyer
Member #1,509
September 2001

You know, I don't wear any kind of glasses/contacts. I have near (if not perfect) vison. Now if only I could spell well id be in good shape...

------------------------------------------------
And they say goldfish have no memory, I guess their lives are much like mine.
And their little plastic castle, its a surprise everytime.

Zaphos
Member #1,468
August 2001

I need no glasses ... have good vision ... but I read and use the computer obsessively. Hmm.

Perhaps it's because people with bad vision / glasses are the ones typically mocked by the general public in young childhood, and thus the ones pushed to spend time with their computers more ... so that glasses lead to computer programming, as opposed to vice-versa. That might be true in some cases ...

Bob
Free Market Evangelist
September 2000

Quote:

us programmers,

It's to filter all that radiation comming from the computer monitor :D :D

--
- Bob
[ -- All my signature links are 404 -- ]

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

I guess we'll have to assume you wear specs too, since I just realized you've never posted a pic; not in the Puctures thread, not in your avatar .... ::) Kinda surprising how many people are using their actual pictures. Most forums have cartoons/video game characters only (not that there aren't a few of those kicking around here) ....

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Funklord
Member #467
June 2000

Feeling like an outsider
Probably need to wear my shades more often...8)

----------------------
[ Me payge | Me shoutcast (128k) | Me in aktOin! | Me OS | Me friends ]

Age is inversely proportional to how much drink you've had - Funklord

Sirocco
Member #88
April 2000

As evidenced by my PI, I'm free of the scourge of glasses/contacts. Everyone in my family is nearsighted, but so far I'm doing fine.

Had a vision test two years ago, and my vision then was (according to the doc) approximately 20/15 (perhaps I got that backwards... heh).

Here's to dem' funky genetics! (raises martini glass w/ice tea)

-->
Graphic file formats used to fascinate me, but now I find them rather satanic.

crazy_k
Member #1,978
March 2002

well I think that some glasse can make you real pretty! it's all about the frame!!!! and the way it suits to YOU! ;D
Luckyly or not, I don't wear glasses, but I wouldn't mind wearing them!!!!

---
<3

Peter Wang
Member #23
April 2000

Whee! My whole family now has glasses, except for me, and I'm the one who uses the computer most. I suppose it's a matter of time, but for now: gloat gloat gloat gloat.

Cage
Member #1,277
March 2001

OMG! I just realized that we have (as of a day and a half or so now) another FEMALE MEMBER!!! :o:o:o gasp Steady, boys... ;)
But seriously, welcome and congratulations, crazy_k; you are only our third female member here in over a year. :-*

-----
"I'm dumb!. it prolly wont do anything just like Sub7 when u extract it to ur own system I'm dumb!." - theforgotten
"heh i got hit by sub7 before. I just dont know how i got it. It took me about 2 yrs to figure out which virus i had. I'm dumb!. then i started wanting to hack and i got sub7 just ot play around with it and i found the features in it that i had been affected by when i got the virus." - theforgotten

Nathan Letwory
Member #671
October 2000

I don't wear glasses, neither contact lenses, and as of a few days ago, my eyes tested really well (according to that test I have eyes like a hawk :P ). Have been thinking of getting glasses, because it might help in not getting so tired at the end of the day... And I am told that glasses look good on my (or was it that I look good in glasses... ;) )

And crazy_k : terve tulemast. Kas me hakame räägima eesti keeld ;) ?

Nathan

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

cage: Are you ever on #allegro ? 8)

Cage
Member #1,277
March 2001

-> cage: Are you ever on #allegro ?

Hmmm, IRC? Nope, why?

-----

1   2   3   4 

Go to: