Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » IdeaHack

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
IdeaHack
Tõnis Märtmaa
Member #356
May 2000

Mars: if you are going to participate then mail us all: entheh@users.sourceforge.net; thrion@hot.ee; white_door@yahoo.com, tell us your requirement, are you in a team or not, or are you looking for one to join.
Right now we have:
entheh:
Frag: "The game must have a dog in it."
gnudutch:
lillo:
Mars:
nsmith: "Include some sort of post nuclear theme in to your game"
X-Viila: "Your game must have some random elements in it which encourage people to play the game repeatedly."
Zaphos: "The game must involve at least twelve drugged squirrels."
Teams: none at the moment.
People looking to join a team
dosbert2001: "You must mention claustrophobic ferrets at least twice in your game"
Ook:
Anyone else interested, mail us, and post in this thread too, so it dosen't look like no-one is taking part
[edited: seems that i dont know how to use the e-mail tags so i dont try]
[ September 02, 2001: Message edited by: Ook ]

Zaphos
Member #1,468
August 2001

Hey! Post whenever any new people/requirements come in! (Otherwise I'll probably forget about the compo, and I'll certainly forget the website to check.
Is all the code supposed to be fresh? No one cares if we cut and paste from old engines we've made?
So, what genres are people doing?
All the requirements so far make it look like rpg-type stuff. But I guess not, I guess you just need some (mild) excuse for a plot.

brn
Member #1,417
July 2001

On the twelfth day of PostApoc, my true love gave to meeeee,
Twelllllllve, drug-ed squirells!
eleven blah blah blah
Fiiive claustrophobic ferrets!
four blah blah blah
and winged do-og in a pear tree.

gnudutch
Member #951
February 2001

What Ook, my requirement's not good enough for you? :)

Mine is the game must have a mini game(s) along the lines of pong or that card match game in Mario3.

Tõnis Märtmaa
Member #356
May 2000

Zaphos: Who sayd that there has to be a plot? Though it would be a bonus when
calculating the score... And you can use some other libraries, maybe even some
snippets made before, but not taking code from another game. The amount of
stolen/reused code will be a factor when calculating the score, and remember, you
have to tell us what code and from where did you reuse, we'll find it out anyway sooner or later.
Thanks for reminding me to update it here too.
Oh... and please mail us too...
brn: ermm.... huh?
gnudutch: I wrote on the page that it was OK by me and nsmith. But i'll let bdavis decide that, I haven't seen him today, so we'll know it tomorrow (for me at least).
Mattias is taking part too ( in my team ), but he has no requirement yet.
Again anyone who is interested, mail us: entheh@users.sourceforge.net, white_door@yahoo.com and thrion@hot.ee

Zaphos
Member #1,468
August 2001

No one said there needed to be a plot; I was simply looking at the requirements, and thinking that they would be most easily fulfilled with some sort of plot.

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Sorry gnudutch, but you're going to have to come up with another requirement. You're effectively asking people (including yourself btw) to write two games in one week. Try to think more along the lines of the extra requirements we were given for SpeedHack - elements in the game, not extra functionality in the program, if you see what I mean.

Mattias is taking part. He told us his requirement in EFNet #allegro:

"At least 50% of the text in the game must be written in 1337, Japanese or Egyptian, or with letters in the style of Japanese or Egyptian writing."

If you do not know what 1337 is, click here. If you do not know what Japanese is, you obviously never went to a music school with lots of Japanese students ;) :D :P As for Egyptian, you should be ashamed of yourself :-[ Over half the world population speak Egyptian natively :o ::)

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

gnudutch
Member #951
February 2001

Quote:

Over half the world population speak Egyptian natively

WHAT YOU SAY??? :D

Let me think of a different requirement...

Goodbytes
Member #448
June 2000

Quote:

If you do not know what 1337 is, click here.

There are a lot of missing letters on that page... here is my attempt to complete the 1337 alphabet:

F - |=

J - _)

P - ¶

Q - (,)

U - |_|

Z - ¯/_

Okay, okay, so I'm using +127 characters, so what? :)

And, let me say that I really don't like the "half the game should be written in ..." requirement...

--
~Goodbytes

Zaphos
Member #1,468
August 2001

What if the game has 0 text?
1/2 * 0 = 0.
Ha! You can fulfill that requirement perfectly w/out a single word!

Ben Downey
Member #938
February 2001

Where does one hire 1337 translators? ;)

Ben Downey
Member #938
February 2001

Funklord
Member #467
June 2000

Don't be silly
the game should have a realistic cat as the main chars companion

----------------------
[ Me payge | Me shoutcast (128k) | Me in aktOin! | Me OS | Me friends ]

Age is inversely proportional to how much drink you've had - Funklord

Zaphos
Member #1,468
August 2001

Realistic? As in ... well drawn?

StevenVI
Member #562
July 2000

Isn't it more fun if the requirements are loose and subject to interpretation? For the cat idea, one person might think it's supposed to be well drawn, and another might think it needs to fall asleep a lot or attack the main character when it's hungry.

Tõnis Märtmaa
Member #356
May 2000

The rules can be interpreted in any way( as long as their main idea is fulfilled), it would be interesting to see with what someone can come up with interpreting the rules.
If anyone wants to make a rule that can be followed in only one way then its author has to word it so that it can be understood only in one way.

Mattias
Member #1,387
June 2001

A note on my requirement: Actually it goes like this:

"At least 50% of the text in the game must LOOK LIKE 1337, Japanese or Ancient Egyptian."

So i dont care if you use a hex editor to write your source, as long as the player sees some nice confusing text.

Goodbytes
Member #448
June 2000

What do you mean by "look like?" It has to look like 1337, but not be in 1337? Is that even possible?

--
~Goodbytes

Tõnis Märtmaa
Member #356
May 2000

Master Goodbytes: you read through what I said about interpreting the rules, didn't you ;) ? As long as he hasn't said anything else you can interpret the rules in the way you want to.

Mars
Member #971
February 2001

Sorry, I won't be able to participate, I just realized. I have too much other stuff to do. :(

--
This posting is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Tõnis Märtmaa
Member #356
May 2000

Im glad to tell you that there are 2 more people in IdeaHack now, StevenVI - he's alone and Master Goodbytes, who wants to join a team.

StevenVI's requirement is: "There must be a heavy usage of "Cheeze", whatever that's interpreted to mean by the creator."

And Master Goodbytes's: "The game must feature a weapon called the 'Relatively Harmless Rubber Ball Launcher.' If applicable, this weapon must be necessary to complete the game"

So, anyone who is interested in joining a IdeaHack but thinks that he can't complete a game in a week should post here or mail Master Goodbytes to make a team with him.

damned me...

[ September 03, 2001: Message edited by: Ook ]

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

This is going to be one hell of a game :D I'm another with no time; I'm finally getting a lot of work done on my own stuff.

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

StevenVI
Member #562
July 2000

I've got a good idea for a game going and I can associate all the requirements into it, it'll be interesting to see how far I get considering I don't get home 'til 8, then I gotta start on my homework, and I'll probably have no time to work on it. Having no time isn't an excuse :P. I'll probably throw it all together in an hour or so.

-Steve

gnudutch
Member #951
February 2001

My idea is:
"Game should feature a special guest star from this board, and spew catchphrases/sig lines"
Now, as I understand it, the goal here is incorporate as to many ideas as possible, not necessarily all. Obviously the guy who can shoehorn ALL this stuff in the game will have a better chance of winning. Right?

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

StevenVI: I'm not good enough to throw it together in an hour or so :D And I'm still swamped with my own projects. I like gnudutch's idea; one of the better ones.

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Go to: